Should I tattle - caught some one sneaking free parking?

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:36 am
At my new job, I was offered free parking at another site which is near a subway station. This is company owned parking and required to be approved by senior management.

Anyone this morning, I'm just about to the parking lot (just need to take a left turn toward the gate). A car quickly took a right toward the gate - a truck was just at the gate waving his pass and immediately after the truck entered, the car "piggy-backed" his way in.

After I parked, I walked past his car and saw no sticker - I suspected this individual could possibly be doing this to avoid paying a fee at the station. I wrote down the liscence plate, but am deciding whether to report it.

Could it be he used another car (I asked about that when I registered my car - what if one day I needed to use my husband's car - they said on a rare occassion it would be ok to park without a sticker). But this guy didn't dress the appearance one would expect at this place of employment. Could he really need to save the $5 or so it costs to park?

Should I try him in? Would you?

Ragman

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:44 am
@Linkat,
Nope, I would not turn him in. I see it as a victimless 'crime'.

However, your mileage may vary.
Mame

@Linkat,
No, I would not report him, even if I was the parking lot police. I like to see people getting something for free, and I often give people my parking tickets if they have time left. Parking is such a rip-off (we pay $25+ a day here) so I'm happy to thwart their revenue. We're not supposed to do that, but it's not illegal.
0 Replies

engineer

@Linkat,
Is what he is doing dangerous or preventing someone who has paid from using the service?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:51 am
@Linkat,
I wouldn't report it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:53 am
@engineer,
No I wouldn't say it is dangerous - but it is "stealing" from the company as they own the property.

I probably won't though - the only thing I could see as an issue is the lot can get quite full where actual employees need to walk quite a distance to the station. I usually arrive early so it doesn't impact me directly. Just could if I had to come in a little late.

And I don't mean 100 feet more - the lot is long and narrow so if you get there after 8:30 - you could be in for a 20 minute walk. In rain and cold I wouldn't want to do it. I guess one person wouldn't be an impact, but if there were many.

In either case, my guess from what I got from security when I had to give my car info and get a sticker - is if they see a car without a sticker for a day or two, they won't do anything - but if they see one for several days then they will follow up. So if I were to report it - not sure - my guess is they would put a note asking them not to park there and then after tow them if it continued (just in case it was an employee using another car).
engineer

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:08 am
@Linkat,
So as far as you know, this is a co-worker who had to drive a different car. I would say something to security if the lot routinely fills up (meaning that some of your coworkers are denied parking) and if you saw this car repeatedly in the lot. If they are taking a spot that would otherwise be empty I don't have an issue with it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:26 am
@engineer,
if you read above that is the viewpoint I have given - that it could be another worker who drove another car. Seems odd though he would have "piggy backed" and to appear to be waiting to turn in just as some one else has - obvious though he could have done this if he didn't have his id on him. You do gain entry via company id - same one you need to gain entry into the office. The thing is if you didn't have your id - you can get into the lot by using the phone to call security - I did this the first day when I went to register my car.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:28 am
@Linkat,
Since security already has a routine for dealing with this sort of thing, why report it?
Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:38 am
@ehBeth,
I said I wasn't planning on reporting it - just wanted to see what others thought...and I'm not 100% sure on their process - just guessing by the answer to my question from security.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:41 am
@Linkat,
Maybe this person is sneaking in to finish their secret project.

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:50 am
@DrewDad,
Oh creepy - maybe this is something like the guy I caught at my last job that used to walk the hallways.

I think what I will do is play pi and watch this man and his car. I could reap huge rewards if I catch him.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:24 am
You are all going to love this....this morning I am driving up to the parking lot - as I turn the corner to go towards the lot, I reach my hand into my purse in search of my pass. Alas - I forgot my pass.

Suddenly, I remember running out of the office last night and not picking up my pass from my desk. Damn! What to do, should I go and actually pay cash for parking? Hmmm - I drive down the road and see a parking lot (although a good distance away) that is empty - business must have shut doors.

Then I say I don't want to walk that long, I'll just go back and go to the pay lot. Then I see some people driving into my lot. One is taking a left as I approach from the left - I wave him in and gulp yes I piggy back off him. I do have a legit sticker on my car so I shouldn't have an issue.

So the guilt gets to me after I park and I walk over to his car as he is getting out. I thank you for allowing me to piggy back off him and let him know I forgot my pass. Which he says - it good to know you can do that - I've parked at that lot way back there before when I forgot my pass.

Am I forgiven? Well at least he wouldn't turn me...
roger

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:32 am
@Linkat,
I'd rat you out in a New York second, if I knew who to tell.
Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:50 pm
@roger,
heh heh I'd know better than you tell you where I park....I guess smiling and giggling and winking at the guy helped.......or maybe that just scared him into submission.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:47 pm
@Ragman,
I don't see it as a victimless crime - there are only so many allotted free parking spaces for those given those as part of their employment.

However, I wouldn't go so far as a colleague did re students parking in staff allotted area -
she kept license numbers
let the air out of one tire per offense
there were never more that two

I think this is not the way to handle it, of course.
I would report the license number. Presumably people give their husband's car(s)' license #s too.

Ah, I see I haven't read the last posts. This'll be interesting.

Adds, in our lot, there were relative few employee spaces, handy to the building, and hundreds of spaces for hundreds of students, further from the building. The students weren't going to the building, our parking was just closer to the "trolley" to campus.
0 Replies