Sleep and health in old age (over 65)

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:10 pm
I've been thinking: What is the proper number of hours to sleep for us seniors who are healthy - or those who think we're healthy? I know that youngsters require more sleep; the younger one is, the more sleep is needed. The number of hours required as we age deminishes, but what is the normal range needed when we reach 65 and over? My wife tells me that the healthy range is between six and seven hours. I can sleep eight and nine hours. I'm looking for some input out in A2K-land. How about it? Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,480 • Replies: 9
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
CI ------- if i'm really in the mood, i can do 12 hours strait off and snore as well
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
c.i.- It is hard for me to say. I will sometimes fall asleep in front of the TV at 8pm- Other nights I am up until 11 or twelve. The one constant, is that I am usually up in the morning between 5:30 & 6:30 AM. So I probably get between 6-10 hours of sleep a night......on average about 7 hours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:52 pm
oak, You're sleeping half your life away. LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 04:59 pm
I'm like Phoenix, it varies. It is still a glorious luxury to me to not have to get up early to go to work. I do often get up early and I do go to work, but not until late morning.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:45 pm
Ci ------- maybe from time to time i am sleeping half my life away, but what am i dreaming about and what have i been doing. I can never remember. it's always like that. vague memories of dreams but no detail

when i was working i would often fall asleep in front of the TV, tiredness or crap progs, i wonder
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 05:48 pm
c.i. : i have heard some "expert" opinions on this subject during the past year or so. i have read/listened to several scientific/medical studies and ... they all go off in different directions ! one study said seniors must get eight hours of sleep if they do not want to imperil their health; another study said six to seven hours are just about right, but less than four hours or more than eight are not good for you. the opinion i liked best came from a SENIOR(he was a senior himself) british sleep-researcher; he said that he had found that - assuming you are not suffering from some illness - your body will take the amount of sleep it needs - sometimes more, sometimes less. i also listened to a radio interview with a former german soldier(now living in canada), who never sleeps more than 15 - 20 minutes at a time. he said that this sleep patttern started when he was a soldier in the trenches and could not afford to sleep for any great length of time. his physician said that this fellow was in good health . my brother - who served in the germen army - needed a lot more sleep than this fellow; but one thing about him, he could sleep anyplace and anytime. he loved nothing more than working working from 11 pm to 7 am (at the water-purification plant, no physical labour involved), going home and sleeping for a few hours, having lunch, sleeping some more and going back to work - of course, it just about drove his wife crazy to try and adjust to his schedule ! as for myself ... i'm sleeping better as i get older, but ... it has to be quiet !!! , the blinds have to be drawn !!! (can't sleep on an airplane, train ...). time to go to bed ! (hah, hah !). hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 06:00 pm
hbg, I think that guy has good advise for all of us; we'll sleep the number of hours our body needs. When I was going to college, I had weird hours, because I usually worked full time and attended school full time. For a couple of years, I worked for trucking companies as a teletype biller (as a member in the Teamsters Union), so I worked from about 5PM to 3AM, then went to school from about 9AM to about 3PM. Once I was able to attend college full time without working, my grades improved. My schedule has been pretty regular since then - working days and sleeping nights. Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 06:13 pm
c.i. : isn't retirement great ? as long as the money doesn't run out before the clock stops ticking ! (well, got to rewind it a little more often). hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
This retirement thing is everything it's cracked up to be and more. Many people make the mistake of stopping all activity when they retire, and die a year or two after retirement. Stay active is the key to a long and healthy life.
0 Replies