Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:33 am
@roger,
I know why I'm up before dawn. Question is, why are you?
roger

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:17 am
@Swimpy,
I seem to be on some kind of rotating schedule. Every day, up two hours later and rise two hours later. Maybe once or twice a month, I'm about with everyone else.
Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:23 am
@roger,
Well, I hope it adds up to enough each day. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:27 am
@Swimpy,
Yes, heart wrenching.
Sounds like her dismay will pass - I hope so, soon.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:58 am
These are for you and your mom, Swimpy. There's more when you need them:

http://www.behappyinlife.com/images/hug_coupon.jpg

http://www.takecontrol.net/power_wedgie/hansart/hug.jpg

http://www.sillyhumor.com/coupons/coupon6.gif

http://www.behappyinlife.com/images/hug1.jpg
Swimpy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:22 pm
@ossobuco,
It is already passing. She's such a trooper. She's following directions learning the ropes. Today will be the first day that I can't go see her. I think that may be the best thing for her. She doesn't need us hovering.
Swimpy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:23 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the hugs, dearie. I may come back for more.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:42 pm
@Swimpy,
Whew..
Swimpy

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Yea, after that first night I'm really pleased with her turnabout.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 09:36 pm
@Swimpy,
glad things are easing a bit, Swimpy.

keep holding your dominion...
Swimpy

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 08:10 am
@Rockhead,
Noddy would haunt me if I didn't Wink
Swimpy

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2011 09:59 am
@Swimpy,
Yesterday she said, "I like it here." I thought I was going to lose it. Not that I don't expect that she will have days when she doesn't like it there, but it felt so good to hear her say something positive about her new digs. She's still in a fog for the most part. I hope that changes. I haven't seen her yet today. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more so I can walk down there. It really is nice to have her so close.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 11:03 am
@Swimpy,
How's your mother doing, swimpy? (And how are you doing?)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 11:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So the nephew, living 90 minutes drive away and having been terminally ill with prostate cancer, died today.
Hid daughter, grand-niece, who actually tried to look after her grand-aunts, starts her new job as teacher (training) on Monday ... she has no car, it takes nearly three hours to get here from where she lives now (before, it 'only' was one hour).

All powers to conduct businesses are with her ... and her now dead father.

We were just informed that the family doesn't want to be disturbed in their grief - by a sister of the dead, who lives in Berlin (4 hours by car), but is now the 'contact person'.
----
The older one of the two ladies will stay in the senior residence permanently - there's some paperwork to do to, because until next week her stay there is paid completely by the nursing care fund, later she'll have to pay it partly herself. (She really likes it here!)
Her younger sister, in the psychiatric hospital, still isn't doing very well - but I don't think that they'll keep her there for longer than mightbe a fortnight.
-----

At least, I know how to arrange some things .... which legally certainly are in akind of grey area ...
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
My mother is doing pretty well and so am I. Thanks for asking, Walter. Sorry for your loss. I hope all the responsibility for your aunts doesn't land on you.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 08:59 am
@Swimpy,
They aee actually just (very) distant aunts.

I (we) are only neighbours ... and I never would take any (legal) responsibility for them!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 10:38 pm
I came across this old article tonight and thought I'd share it here for others to read:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/06/18/the-caregiving-boomerang.html

Diane

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2011 11:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Btrflynet, the article was very good. Wish I had read it while Bob was still alive.

Swimpy, all the best to you. It sounds like you have been a long time care giver.

Hi Walter, I was relieved to read that you are not responsible for you elderly aunts, although you are a wonderful source for advice, both legally and emotionally.
McTag

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 03:33 am
@Diane,

Hi Diane
We met in London, do you remember?
I expect this will be a strange Christmas for you. Write more on the Thread, if you think it helps.
Here, now, we've got snow and I've had to look out the thermal underwear...which is a godsend. The scene is quite Christmassy.
Best wishes to you, don't eat too much.
McTag
Swimpy

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 04:13 pm
@Diane,
Hi, Diane. It's good to see you. All the best to you, as well.
0 Replies