Embarrassing and Upsetting Senior Moments

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:08 am
Sometimes, a senior moment can get you into a lot of hot water. I have used a particular E Mail account and other features of the site for over 8 years. They ask for your password only once in awhile. I happen to have some VERY important stuff on that site.

Yesterday, the login screen came on. For the life of me, I could not remember my password. No matter how I tried, I could not get into the site. I had something written down, but it did not work.

Now Mr. P is in the hospital, and I know that he would need a lot of the information that is contained on that site. (Think of what has been happening for the last few days.)

I called him at the hospital early this morning, and one of the things that he asked me was what was happening on the site. I told him the story, and he immediately came up with the password. I got onto the site. Whew!

The funny thing is that he does not sign into the site, and the password was very strange. Years ago, one of the keys on my old keybord went kaput. At that time I could not get into the site. I had opened the account, not realizing that the computer was not printing the dead letter. When I finally realized what was happening, I signed in with my password without the dead letter, and it worked.
So I kept it.

Have to had any occasions where a slip of memory caused you grief. Let's share!

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:33 am
my vocabulary , once massive, is deserting me and I find myself grasping for words "on the tip of my tongue" in the middle of conversations.... extremely annoying and bothersome to the point I'm going to start looking for vocabulary exercises to do....
JPB

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:40 am
@Phoenix32890,
I've lost the ability to remember names. I can be talking to someone I've know for years and all of a sudden forget their name.

Also, English used to be my first language. I don't know what it is coming through my fingertips these days but it oftentimes doesn't resemble English.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:10 am
It is standing in the middle of the kitchen with no clue why I went in there. It's having a mental block and having to double check my own phone number or social security number or look up a name that I know as well as my own. I remember snickering when my mother would run through a list of kids and grandkids until she hit the one she was aiming for. Now I catch myself doing that.

Then I go take a short nap and everything is okay again.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I've lost the ability to remember names. I can be talking to someone I've know for years and all of a sudden forget their name.

That happens to me daily.
George

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:27 am
I carry a small notebook with me everywhere at work.

I tell people "if I said I would do something and you didn't see me write it down,
it ain't gonna happen."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:49 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

JPB wrote:

That happens to me daily.

Wait. You folks actually remember peoples' names?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:08 am
I started this thread a while back. Amazing I remembered it.

http://able2know.org/topic/17625-1

I'm an editor. Paid to cross out the wrong word and put in the right word. Right word? I know it exists. I know I know it. But what is it? It'll come to me.
Eva

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:38 pm
@Roberta,
I do that in the middle of conversations, Roberta! I self-edit...badly. I'll say the wrong word, then say, "No, that's not the right word...it's.....uh..." and then...I can't think of it. Maddening. People expect better than that from me. I've seen the looks on their faces.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I know I have had such moments but I can't seem to remember them now.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I was driving out of the garage and down the street when I forgot where I
wanted to go. I actually pulled up to the side of the road, as I couldn't remember why I left the house in the first place. When I saw the empty gaslight on, it hit me that I wanted to drive to the gas station.

What's even more embarrassing is that I am not even a senior yet.
NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
That just reminds me of a funny story...damn!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 04:39 am
@CalamityJane,
Jane- What you will learn, to your dismay, is that you DON'T have to be a senior to have senior moments. Shocked
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:08 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Jane- What you will learn, to your dismay,
is that you DON'T have to be a senior to have senior moments.

The first time I had that happen,
Ike was President; ( or was it Truman ?)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
Sometimes, a senior moment can get you into a lot of hot water. I have used a particular E Mail account and other features of the site for over 8 years. They ask for your password only once in awhile. I happen to have some VERY important stuff on that site.

Yesterday, the login screen came on. For the life of me,
I could not remember my password. No matter how I tried,
I could not get into the site. I had something written down,
but it did not work.

I made up a computer file with all passwords,
and all matters that I 'd forgotten and had a hard time remembering.

Perhaps u 'd like to leave such a list around in MORE
than one place, for convenient reference, with full details
of everything that u might need. Accounts receivable; accounts payable.
Sometimes computers fail.
I 've gone thru quite a few of them; u never know.

I even included words n frases that I did not need,
but that forgetting them had driven me nuts anyway.

I feel good about having the list around.

David
JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 11:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
As I've said before, my SENIOR moments are nothing compared to my JUNIOR moments!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 09:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I have this embarassing thing called daytime hypersomnolence (it's caused by a combination of sleep apnea, sleep deprivation, aging, etc) Anyway, I may fall asleep in the middle of the day, any old time, just sitting on the couch. Recently, it happened even when my 12 yr old grandson & his buddy were here spending the weekend with me. Talk about embarassing??? He kept clapping his hands and it would wake me up for a little while, but I'd drift off to sleep again. They were watching silly cartoons on the TV. But I know they got a laugh & a half out of crazy grandma falling asleep sitting up on the sofa. Finally I said "I think I shall take myself a little nap - you boys behave yourselves". I did and they did and it all worked out just fine. But - it's hard to believe I'm doing these things. It's almost as bad as narcolepsy - I have to take a stimulant medicine - just to drive if it's going to be longer than 30 minutes long. Good grief, ain't life grand??
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
OH yes, and I forgot, when it comes to passwords etc. I've had to email myself to a Yahoo account (so it will always be there even if I change ISP's) ALL of my various accounts, including my user names and passwords etc, because if I don't, I often can't remember them anymore. So I can't sign in to look at my monthly cable bill, mortgage info, or access any of my accounts, even A2K!! I often need to sign into this particular account because it's my SAFE for the repository of all account info. Sort of a replacement brain when mine goes on temporary vacation due to "senior moments".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:34 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I repeat: the most embarrassing moments for this old man are what I call my "JUNIOR MOMENTS."
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 02:14 am
@JLNobody,
totally weird, lately i have trouble remembering words that are related to each other 9soemtimes only to me, in my own mind)

johnny depp

brad pitt

took em 3 weeks to be able to remember them both at the same time.

i hope im not having memory issues, it has gotten rather, umm ,bad....