Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, I know what you mean, Walter. But, as the saying goes: if you didn't laugh you might cry.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:03 am
@msolga,
I know, I know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But it's a sad feeling that I can only care about my closest relatives with a "professional view".

That's not a true reflection of feelings & attitude at all, Walter. You know that. Your "professional view" protects you a little, helps you cope with very painful circumstances.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:22 am
@msolga,
Well, the "professional Walter" is quite often very angry about "the son Walter". Wink
msolga

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
How, exactly?

<pat pat>

Aw, you poor thing! Like your wife, I don't know how you do it!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:31 am
@msolga,
That's a different story: no-one understands me ... Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter wrote:
Quote:
Well, the "professional Walter" is quite often very angry about "the son Walter".

You don't have to answer but could this have to do with unresolved issues between Walter the son and his mother? Just know that you are being a very good son now. You may get frustrated at times. At times your emotions may get the best of you. The professional Walter is the one who makes the best decisions for your mother's care because he can be dispassionate. That doesn't mean professional Walter has scorn for Water, the son. I'm sure professional Walter would give Walter the son a hug if he could.

I would, too. Hugs, Walter. What you are going through is tough.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 12:00 pm
@Swimpy,
Swimpy wrote:

You don't have to answer but could this have to do with unresolved issues between Walter the son and his mother? ... The professional Walter is the one who makes the best decisions for your mother's care because he can be dispassionate. ... I'm sure professional Walter would give Walter the son a hug if he could.

I don't think that there are unsolved issues, well, at least not more than within any mother>son relation ... over 60 years. Wink (Mostly just clothes-related etc)

I'm rather sure that the 'professional Walter' makes better decisions than the son: there's a saying in 'professional circles' that the loving parents/children are the worst Laughing

It could be tough, very tough, indeed, if it came too close ...
Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
(Mostly just clothes-related etc)

I'm glad your sense of humor is still intact. Laughing
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:25 pm
@Swimpy,
Hah! Humour, you say: if you'd heard her what she said about my mustache .... the very same, she's telling my now since exactly 37 years.

Edited: really, nearly exactly on the day Shocked
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:42 am
Mother is being taken now twice per day - in a wheelchair - to the "living room" on her ward.
She usually sits alone there, because she doesn't like others to be with her. (The fitter ones on her ward sit in the ward's hall on a large table - she didn't like to stay there.)

When I meet her there, she's always confused about where she is.
When I meet her in her room, she's always confused about where she is.

I got quite knowable by now what she thinks where she is, at what time, especially.
And who the persons are she then talking about - always living in at least two different time periods to where she means to be.

If the weather is fine - like it is now and was the last couple of days - some part-time carers (usually the same) take her out for a "walk" in the wheelchair through the park. (She doesn't want us top do it, and she doesn't want to go in the town [only a couple of meters] - but on the other hand, she doesn't know where the home is ... [it's her old grammar school].)

I've noticed that she is acting like my aunt, her cousin did, 18, 20 years ago, at about the same age (mother is 89 since this month).
When I meet her in the park, she 'intoduces' my ("that is my son Walter") to her 'driver' ("this is Mrs ... what was your name again").

Today, it was even worse.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It sounds like the "normal" process to me, Walter.
Especially the confusion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, that's what it is.
Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"Normal" can be pretty hard, though.

At least you're accepting the situation, and God grant you patience to continue to do so.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
@Tomkitten,
I'm quite aware about the situation - and that it can become even worse.

Patience? Well, it's my mother [and my aunt].. But sometimes, I can't stay with her longer than a couple of minutes (though I visit her [them] at least every second day).
Swimpy

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 06:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Patience? Well, it's my mother [and my aunt].. But sometimes, I can't stay with her longer than a couple of minutes (though I visit her [them] at least every second day).

I sometimes have to cut visits with my Mom short, too. It's not very often, but sometimes she's just going to repeat the same story over and over. The worst part is that you know the story isn't true. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

My sister told me last night that she was advised to prepay for my mother's funeral in order to spend down what remains of Mom's money. She can also prepay the assisted living facility to accomplish the same thing. Her savings should last her another year or so. When her money is close to being gone, then she can apply for Medicaid. We've been told by the facility manager that she can stay right here she is and Medicaid will pick up the tab. Has anyone here done this or know of someone who has?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:14 pm
@Swimpy,
I never got that far with my mother.. I sold her house to pay for the nursing home (don't get me going, as I didn't have to being joint tenant - I could have just moved in - and my attorney was both expensive and useless, as was the social worker I consulted) -
anyway, that would be excellent if she can continue on there, swimpy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:25 pm
@Swimpy,
No one I know, but I've read a few nasty stories about prepaid funeral expenses. I would be very sure the company (funeral home) is still going to be in business when needed.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:27 pm
@roger,
Good point.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I know - it's just not possible to make long visits and maintain your equilibrium. And even when Bob was in the nursing facility right in the same building as our apartment, it was mentally and physically exhausting to visit him twice a day, let alone for long stretches, and even though he never complained about anything (except the pain, when he broke his ankle).
0 Replies