Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 12:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Seems to be -momentarily, at least- a lot better than it was feared.

But experience teaches that this might change sooner or later ...
Swimpy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Breathe, Walter. Enjoy the calm while it lasts. She's in good hands.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:21 am
@Swimpy,
Thanks, I'll certainly try to enjoy this calmer period and do know that she's in good care.

(Aunt might to have to go to the hospital again.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 01:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I used to consider myself odd dealing with these issues in my twenties and early thirties as an only child, but you truly have my sympathy even if you are nearly as old as I am by now, Walter. I do wish you continuing calm.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 08:51 am
Mother did quite well in the home, with the usual, normal ups and downs (didn't want to stay there/best pace she's ever been, didn't want nurses to enter her room/best people around her ... ...)

She got y-rayed (all was extremely well) and the surgial stables were taken away (in the local hospital, in her town, my native town), on Wednesday.

When I just "prepared" to drive there this afternoon (I wanted to drive there every day during the first week), the home phoned: when the nurse came in her room after the after-lunch nap, mother was terribly crying in pain, her leg was ... somehow looking dislocated ...

So they called the ambulance and the emergency doctor (instead of the on-duty doctor, which might have been a gynaecologist).
I drove to the hospital where she had been before. She hadn't arrived, but a kind nurse phoned to the other hospital, asking if she was there ... She arrived minutes later, it had taken longer, because the emrgency doctor already made some examination in the ambulance and gave her a lot of strong analgesics for the transport.
He and the emergency doctor in the hospital made a couple of examinations: nothing broken. It seems she "only" had some kind of spasm (of unknown reason).

She'll stay in the hospital until tomorrow or Monday, for observations.
Tomkitten

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 10:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What a day! I'm glad all's well (or "as well as can be expected", anyway).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:56 pm
Gasp!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:15 pm
@JLNobody,
Well, JL, it could have come worse.

But like tomkitten said: it turned out to the better (hopefully).

JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Agreed! Small blessings are still blessings despite their size.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting, sounds like a muscle cramp.. those aren't fun and can be scary.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Is there a connection between muscle cramps and potassium processing?
Tomkitten

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 06:41 pm
@JLNobody,
There does seem to be a connection. Check out "muscle cramps" + potassium on Google.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Frightening, nonetheless. I hope things settle down for a while now.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:01 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Interesting, sounds like a muscle cramp.. those aren't fun and can be scary.

It seems to have been something like a muscle cramp. (Mother was only -more or less- in bed for over eight weeks, and during the last week just sat a bit in her wheelchair plus a bit of walking-training.)

However, the nurse in the home said, the posion of the leg was "totally unnatural"; the doctor in the ambulance/emergency was apparently puzzled to find the reason for that "cramp". But he was a 'general surgeon', might be duty chief accident surgeon, who will look at mother this morning, has some -other- ideas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 04:44 am
Mother will leave the hospital tomorrow morning and go back to the home.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 09:31 am
When I visited mother yesterday she had one leg over the 'bed balustrade': "I was just getting up."
So I explained again that she had been in hospital, doctors fear that she might have to go there again if she moves outside the bed on her own ... I talked until I was blue in the face.

A nurse had done the same, just two hours before. So, I gave allowance to heighten the safety bed rails (that can be done by me without confirmation by a judge).

Today, she was still sleeping. When I came back later with a nurse, she wasn't still didn't wake up. We tried it a couple of times - and finally get an answer: "Get out and let me sleep."

Aunt .... was feeling very bad again. After having asked her a couple of times, I finally got an answer: "I can't open my mouth anymore, additionally to ... ... ..."
I thought, I could hear which way the wind was blowing and indeed: nurses got the teeth/mouth problems more or less solved, but to give her a better (liquid) nutrtion, they changed 'food' a bit, more fibres now in in it, which obviously doesn't taste as good as the former stuff ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
(Especially) As her son it's more than only really sad to look at mother in her "cage". And that she accepts it.

Aunt's "cage" is more "insight", but as sad. But as nephew I'm not that close to her.

Mrs Walter asked me yesterday, when we left the home, how I was able to handle all that, every day.
I had had problems accepted it myself, but when entering the building, I 'switch' from son/nephew to social worker. Embarrassed
msolga

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
... when entering the building, I 'switch' from son/nephew to social worker. Embarrassed

Ah Walter. You probably couldn't handle it every single day if you didn't. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I understand, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 01:53 am
I know. But it's a sad feeling that I can only care about my closest relatives with a "professional view".

(Something you, msolga, will probably know from your work, too: I even can laugh about some of their actions/reactions when talking about that others - like an "emotional outlet".)