Benign Prostate Enlargement / Colon / Herb

gollum

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:21 am
I heard what appeared to be an "infomercial" on the radio selling an herb formula that would help men avoid having to urinate several times per night, surgery or radiation treatments, and reduced sexual function.

The doctor (as best I understood his qualifications) also recommended a low fat diet.

Is taking an herb(s) formula safe & effective for the above conditions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,155 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:30 am
First you diagnose yourself and then you give them money for "herbs"? Do you have a medical degree? Does your "herb supplier" work with sterile conditions and quality control?

Check with a doctor--do you really want to treat cancer yourself?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 11:37 am
The only safe and permanent way to deal with an enlarged prostate, after it has been determined to be just that, an enlarged prostate, is thru surgery. Pills and medication do help until the day you wake up in pain from being unable to urinate. I have seen it happen to quite a few of my friends. In most instances there comes the day when you have to pay the piper.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:20 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
First you diagnose yourself and then you give them money for "herbs"? Do you have a medical degree? Does your "herb supplier" work with sterile conditions and quality control?

Check with a doctor--do you really want to treat cancer yourself?

Noddy24-
Thank you. I will follow your advice. However, my understanding is that benign prostate enlargement is not cancer.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:51 pm
It's called benign prostatic hypertrophy, and it is NOT cancer. Here is a good overview of the condition.

Basically, if a man lives long enough, he will probably have some level of this condition. If it is severe enough, it needs to be dealt with surgically. One of the most common operations for this condition is the TURP, or as I inelegantly call it, a "Roto-Rooting!

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/BPH.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
Ok, I found what I wanted:

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual_home2/sec21/ch239/ch239b.jsp

Quote:
As the prostate enlarges, it gradually compresses the urethra and blocks the flow of urine (urinary obstruction). When a man with BPH urinates, the bladder may not empty completely. Consequently, urine stagnates in the bladder, making the man susceptible to kidney stones and urinary tract infections. Prolonged obstruction can damage the kidneys.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:00 pm
I stand corrected. "Avoiding radiation treatments" triggered my cancer alarms.

Humble apologies.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:18 pm
From personal experience "saw palmetto" is pretty effective and worth giving a try. If this has no effect after a couple of weeks then seek medical advice.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:03 am
BPH is not cancer.

For herbal treatment recommendations, please consult a urologist, knowledgable in alternative medicine. Many MDs are now of the opinion that herbal medicines are beneficial to many aliments. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:06 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I stand corrected. "Avoiding radiation treatments" triggered my cancer alarms.

Humble apologies.

Many oncologists try to avoid radiation Tx, where possible ( ie breast cancer stage-specificity is important ).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:08 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
It's called benign prostatic hypertrophy, and it is NOT cancer. Here is a good overview of the condition.

Basically, if a man lives long enough, he will probably have some level of this condition. If it is severe enough, it needs to be dealt with surgically. One of the most common operations for this condition is the TURP, or as I inelegantly call it, a "Roto-Rooting!

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/BPH.html

Medication for BPH is the first line of treatment. Surgery is preformed as and when necessary. Cool
0 Replies