What does "a weed in some areas" mean?

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 12:09 am
Though many people treat purslane as an edible herb, some areas just treat it as a weed that should be remove as harmful?

Context:
purslane
n.
a plant of the family Portulacaceae having fleshy succulent obovate leaves often grown as a potherb or salad herb; a weed in some areas

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 03:15 am
A weed is sometimes said to be "a plant that is in the wrong place", or more concisely a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants, so possibly the 'areas' are parts of a garden or plantation where purslane is not wanted. Also, there are plants which are considered weeds in some cultures and valuable in others. For example Burdocks, plants of the genus Arctium are considered weeds in much of the world, but are used to make soup and medicine in East Asia.

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 11:34 am
@contrex,
Gobo, burdock root, is absolutely scrumpdeliicious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 12:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

A weed is sometimes said to be "a plant that is in the wrong place"

on my property, lawn grass and most cultivated plants are weeds and are promptly removed
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 12:26 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Though many people treat purslane as an edible herb, some areas just treat it as a weed that should be remove as harmful?

not necessarily harmful - it could just be unwanted
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
on my property, lawn grass and most cultivated plants are weeds and are promptly removed

Tres smart lady!
0 Replies