Real Life in Mexico

furiousflee

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
...So I am in the car with some friends of mine, and we just came from a social gathering. We all had a bit to drink but we all were in our right minds still, or this I thought. The driver all of a sudden stops in the middle of avenue and speaks to another person on the other side of the road(figures, it's mexico) and eventually begins to drive. Then all of a sudden the policia comes and stops behind our car and gets off. The first thing you should understand about Mexican police jurisdiction is that if they are labled as "policia" that means they are street cops, and obvioulsy can only arrest people on the street. Transito is transit police. Anyway, so this policia stops us and tells us to get off, our initial response is, you can't do this. He said , well I am not gonna move until you get out. So we get out, and I find myself staring into a group of police people, all with kevlar vests and one with an mp5 over his shoulder. They searched us and obviously found nothing, then they just messed with me because I am foreign. I told them they can't do anything because they have no jurisdiction and they responded real pissy that they can do anything. Then just to get it all straight I had to use some of my big guns, I told them that I know a guy who works in the Pri, like the assistant of the governer, and then they pissed off like a bunch of scared puppies.

Yet another incedent in mexico, isn't life grand!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:21 pm
There were some news the other day about AFI officers (something like the Mexican FBI) resisting a 2 million dollar cannonball. They arrested the "Tzar of Industrial Forgery".

This is another part of real life in Mexico. The big business of industrial piracy.
On a recent poll 98% of Mexicans admitted having bought at least one "pirate" item. Be it an audiocassette (for 50 US cents), a CD (for 1 or 2 dollars), a DVD (for 2 to 5 dollars), clothes, computer programs, perfume, etcetera.
Some of us buy this stuff very scarsely. Others are "Pirate only" buyers.
This is terrible for formal businesses, and for tax recollection.
One "tzar" is down. Others will take his place.
0 Replies

M Hank

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:06 am
Hi everybody. I am not part of you regular meetings, but as a new member I guess I would like to put in my comment on Jorge Hank's win as Mayor of Tijuana. I have been reading with interest your opinions on him. I can tell you that you have failed to see what he has done for the community in Tijuana and more so your judgements are based primarily on allegations.
I am not trying to change your opinion of who he is, but ask you to wait and see what he can do.

M.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
M. Hank, many of us don't speak Spanish and haven't spent enough time in Mexico to be familiar with the ways of society there. Now that the election is over, I am finding this thread more useful than before--did you read about the doubling of interest in immigrating to Canada? If things become too fascist in this country, we might be taking a more serious look at places to live.

As for J. Hank, please keep us posted on his duties as Mayor.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:19 am
Oh, welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:21 am
Welcome . . .
Welcome, M. Hank, to Able2Know!

[quote]. . . judgements are based primarily on allegations.

I am not trying to change your opinion of who he is, but ask you to wait and see what he can do. [/quote]

Good thought for many facets of ones' lives. Thank you!
[/color]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:34 pm
M Hank, I'm assuming you are not related to Jorge Hank, merely that you are a supporter. But do you really think he will perform at a level higher than that seen for Mexican politicians since 1821? The political culture of Mexico does not make room for legitimate statemen, only for power hungry chronies. And if they do mean well, like, perhaps Cuahtemoc Cardenas, they are rendered ineffective by their isolation. What has Fox done? Neither as much or more than has any priistas. I would like to agree to just 'wait and see", but that's been the plebian attitude since the Mexican Revolution. Very sad. Mexico is such a wonderful land with such wonderful people. Pobre Mexico, it is run by demons. Americans have traditionally gone to Tijuana to get screwed, but not as screwed as have been the Mexicans living there.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
JLNobody wrote:
Pobre Mexico, it is run by demons.

JL, I've told you a million times not to exaggerate! :wink:

JLNobody wrote:
The political culture of Mexico does not make room for legitimate statemen, only for power hungry chronies.

Obviously, I disagree with the patronizing first phrase.
In the last half century, Mexico has lived a deep transition as for the source of legitimacy of the politicians.
Before that it was a "revolutionary" legitimacy. The winners of the revolution got into power by their weapons. The party was only a civilized way to prevent that the political struggle among the "revolutionaries" would be bloody.
Later, elections were used as a way of legitimizing -by popular vote- the "revolutionary" leadership. In the late 60's and early 70s this method showed its limits. The student and people's movement of 1968 and the different guerrilla groups that followed made it quite clear. In 1976, the presidential candidate of the PRI ran alone: the emperor had no clothes.
This lead to a series of successive electoral reforms that allowed the left wing parties to participate and created our two tier system: part of Congress is elected by districts; another part is elected proportionally to party votes.
It would be naïve to think that those reforms are the result of the genius of the PRI: they were fought for by people from very different ideological leanings, but all concerned about the stablishment and growth of a true democracy.
Everybody, specially outside Mexico, was asking "When will the wolf awaken?". The fact is that when it did, it awoke in the polling booths. It was a democratic wolf.
After decades of struggle against electoral fraud and for citizen's liberties, we've made it... in a sense.
We have a legitimate President, chosen in elections most of the world would envy as for their fairness (Mexico is considered, alongside Germany, the nation in the world with the fairest elections). A legitimate Congress. Legitimate governors. Legitimate local legislatures.
We do have a lousy political class. Some of our best statesmen (Salinas) ruined their job by making unholy alliances with "power hungry cronies", as JLNobody says. Others (like Fox), do not base their government on those kind of alliances, but don't have the same political stature. Our Congress is more dedicated to bickering than to legislating, and the debate level is sometimes shameful. But that doesn't make it less legitimate, or -actually- makes our democracy worse than the average.

JLNobody wrote:
And if they do mean well, like, perhaps Cuahtemoc Cardenas, they are rendered ineffective by their isolation.

Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas is an important figure in Mexico's road to democracy. His 1988 campaign made the first tight race in the history of Mexican presidential elections.
Cárdenas lost that election and -against the opinion of some of us-, even if he knew he lost, he alleged he was robbed (there was a lot of fraud, but not enough to change winners), but was wise enough to not "set the prairie on fire", but build a party.
IMO, he made several mistakes while building the Party of the Democratic Revolution (he chose the worst allies), and paid for them in the election of '94.
When he won the Mexico City majoral election in 1997, there was a lot of hope. He did a mediocre job. I think Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas was rendered innefficient by his own inefficiency.

JLNobody wrote:
I would like to agree to just 'wait and see", but that's been the plebian attitude since the Mexican Revolution.

If the plebian attitude had been so, we'd still have the PRI in power with the "full load", as they used to say.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:34 pm
There's a process to redo the elections here in Tijuana, it is said that Hank bought votes by giving food and paying in cash to people who need it.

Jorge Hank has some arguments against it though saying and arguing that Jorge Ramos (his PAN counterpart) got his election funds from Jesús González, our mayor (who, by the way, doesn't have a university title).

Tomorrow at 11:00 am PT a meeting will start to state the final verdict on this process.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 06:07 pm
Fbaezer, points well taken. Thanks.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:34 pm
The Federal Electoral Court upheld Hank's victory. I guess we'll just have to "wait and see" how he governs that difficult city.

(Thanks, JLNobody, for your kindness)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:59 pm
David and I have been thinking Mexico would be a great place to retire. Growing up in Chula Vista, CA, and Grand Junction, CO, has giving me a great love of all things mexican and my painting refelects that interest.

My Spainish is minimal but David is fluent. We are also looking and Central America - Guatamala in particular. Of course we have lots of firends in the Baja and that would be good too.

My understanding is that the Quaker community in Mexico City is quite active (David and I are both members of the Society of Friends).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:00 pm
David and I have been thinking Mexico would be a great place to retire. Growing up in Chula Vista, CA, and Grand Junction, CO, has giving me a great love of all things mexican and my painting refelects that interest.

My Spainish is minimal but David is fluent. We are also looking and Central America - Guatamala in particular. Of course we have lots of firends in the Baja and that would be good too.

My understanding is that the Quaker community in Mexico City is quite active (David and I are both members of the Society of Friends).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 08:31 pm
That sounds great to me, especially if you have a ready-made community there.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:20 pm
Mexico City really draws me in - very mysterious. But Central America seems good too.

In our building here in San Diego we have friends who have retired just south of Tijauna, about 60 clicks further south. We are going to spend some time with them at their hour during the Easter break to see how the area is.

It seems that as many gringos are moving south as Mexicans move to del Norte.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:29 pm
Yes, but we go there to languish; they come here to work.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:30 pm
How true and sad San Diego would dry up and blow away without Mexican workers. Sheesh what a crazy mixed up world we live in.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 09:37 pm
By the way, Joanne. In 1955 when I lived in Mexico City for a year, I appreciated its beauty and wanted to return to live there permanently. That didn't work out, but now, because of the congestion and air pollution I would not live there. I have friends and relatives who are Chilangos (D.F. denizens); many have environment-related health problems. I WOULD like, however, to live in the colder nearby city of Toluca or the warmer nearby Cuernavaca (which already has many expat American residents).
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:25 pm
Hi, Joanne,
Hi, JoanneDorel,

If you get a chance, check my earlier posts on this thread about liviing in Mexico. On the first couple of pages, I think. I sent you a PM, too.

Good wishes! Charli
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 03:56 am
Here's a story that confirms the focus on poverty when it comes to life in Mexico, but at the same time might represent hope. Perhaps the very fact this "event" took place signals good news in terms of awareness-raising, communal responsibility/empathy ... or was it just a publicity stunt? Or both? Would be interested what fbaezer and others think.

Quote:
Mexico politicians slum it on "Vile Brother"

Thursday August 25, 05:58 AM

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Four Mexican politicians completed a three-night stay in a spider- and scorpion-infested shack on Wednesday as part of a campaign to raise awareness about poverty dubbed "Vile Brother."

In contrast to the typical house on the reality television show "Big Brother," the shack was made of sticks, tin and plastic sacks, lacked a sewage system and had a dirt floor.

The group tore down the shack as they left, after buying a new concrete house for the seven-member family that had lived there, Mexican television news reported.

The family lived in the cramped shelter, located in the central Mexican state of Aguascalientes, for five years, struggling to survive on $12 (7 pounds) a day by selling doughnuts and washing buses.

"I'd just warn them to be careful of the animals. There are snakes, scorpions and spiders in here," said Ursula Martinez, who used to live in the house, when the campaign started on Sunday.

The campaign by the politicians, all from Aguascalientes, was not a reality TV show. But it has been featured on television news programs throughout the week.

Just as in the show, the politicians, who have been joined by a trade union leader and a radio personality, had to complete various tasks, sell food on the streets like the family and survive off the income.

Some of the participants called for one houseguest, a legislator from Mexico's ruling PAN party, to be evicted for not completing the tasks assigned to him.

"Vile Brother" was thought up by a popular Aguascalientes radio host angry that the state government builds houses for the poor that measure just 30 square meters (320 square feet).

He challenged the politicians to survive for a week in the same conditions as many of their constituents.

"We knew that poverty existed, but not like this," trade union leader Alfredo Gonzalez, who joined the politicians in the house, told Mexican television.

Mexico has the highest living costs in Latin America, but more than half of its 105 million residents live on less than $10 a day.
0 Replies