Real Life in Mexico

JLNobody

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm
JoeFX, do you think the cop let you go because he was bluffing and you called his bluff?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:36 am
JLN, I honestly don't know what you mean by 'called his bluff'

but the reason I think he let us go is because he saw no incentive in giving us the ticket and wanted the famous 'mordida' and maybe thought that taking us to the police department would scare us, we were 16 at the time.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:33 am
Time is money.
If a cop stops you (looking for a "mordida") and you are not in a hurry, you can argue endlessly, say you'd be willing to discuss it at the police department, start an investigation, etcetera, chances are they let you go (unless you actually did something real bad). They'd lose a lot of time, and lots of chances for more extorsions.
Same thing happen if you deserve a minor infraction. You tell the cop he's right, and to give you the ticket. He'll try to talk you into the bribe, but you insist on him giving you the ticket. Usually, they let you go with just a verbal warning.
Problem is when you're in a hurry. Then the "tip for soft drinks" is unavoidable.

----

This, of course, doesn't mean than all Mexican policemen and policewomen are corrupt. A small minority of regular cops are, but a majority of traffic cops.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:41 am
JL Nobody: yes the "tradition" of corruption.

Former President Alvaro Obregón (1920-1924) once said: "No general can resist a 50 thousand peso cannonball".

Carlos Hank, the epithome of the successful corrupt PRI politician had another phrase: "Un político pobre es un pobre político": A poor politician is poor as a politician. He would have applied it to the honest major of Teopisca.

One of Hank's sons, Jorge, a man with a long rat's tail, as we say here, was recently elected major of Tijuana. I understand Tijuanenses were fed up with the inefficiency of several PAN administrations... but Hank Jr.?!!!
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Its good to see you guys still at the "real life in mexico" thread. fbeazer, the entire business bribe is something that happens alot, money laundering and scandels everywhere. Did you here about the "moving publicity" scam.

Well, basically the concept is this. You buy a car with the initial payment. Then by placing publicity on your car from some company, they pay your monthly installments. The idea was flying, but what happened was, the CEO of the company started pocketing some money, a common thing that happens in Mexico. The problem was that he didn't pocket a bit of money, he pocketed alot. Eventually the government and the companies found out what was happening and there was a big problem. Everybody lost, except the people with the cars and the publicity. Legaly they should have the publicity on their cars for the time required and then the car is theirs, the beauty of it is that they don't have to pay a dime. The other companies all lost a great deal of money.

This is a thing that happens alot in this country, but, it seems like it is getting harder to pull it off. This is good....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
I'm reading and learning - have no first hand knowledge to pass on.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
You should travel Mexico though, it is pretty interesting. They have vast culture and the people in general are very friendly, a feeling of belonging. although at times you might feel the opposite since they are a culture that has roots that stretch through history, but on most cases it is a nice place. Not like you see in the movies... oh yea, have you seen the latest creations in mexican cinema, it is surprising. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Mexican cinema the best in the world at one time?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
furiousflee wrote:
You should travel Mexico though, it is pretty interesting. They have vast culture and the people in general are very friendly, a feeling of belonging. although at times you might feel the opposite since they are a culture that has roots that stretch through history, but on most cases it is a nice place. Not like you see in the movies... oh yea, have you seen the latest creations in mexican cinema, it is surprising. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Mexican cinema the best in the world at one time?

I love the baja and will make it to the mainland someday :wink:
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:55 am
You should try to go and travel to Oaxaca and Chiapas, it is one of the most beautiful sceneries I have ever seen in my life. It is the place where Mountain meets sea, and the people are so friendly there. I fell in love with Oaxaca the first time I went there. It was an adventure where I hitchiked from Laredo to Oaxaca in the back of Semi-trucks. I got chance to pass through ; Real de Catorce, Querretaroo, Puebla, Pachuca and finally Oaxaca which was my prize. I lived on the beach with a bunch of hippies from all over the world, being hosted by lovely Mexicans. Wow, now I feel very nostaligic. God I love that place, I am going to plan another trip down there...soon...
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm
Hank Jr. it is.

He won because of an impressive electoral campaign, the usual stuff, but more of it: millions of announcements, painted walls, car stickers, free concerts, etc. And remember that here in Mexico taxes pay for campaigns (although each party injects some extra cash). He found a way to turn lots of young voters towards his side.

He won even with a great movement of propaganda attacking him, denouncing how he was on some drug scandals, frauds with his 'hipódromo' and being a primary suspect in the murder of a local journalist. Apparently the people forgot or didn't care.

A very popular phrase that people answered when asked why they'd vote for Jorge Hank:

"He won't steal any money because he already has a lot."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:52 pm
What a naive reason.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
Most of the people here in TJ, myself included, are politically ignorant.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
furiousflee talked about the Publi XIII scandal.
As far as I understand, the key of the fraud was that people thought they had bought a very cheap car (or that the announcer paid for the other part) while in truth, the car was never theirs, but Publi XIII's. And people who had already paid their part had no caras, because Publi XIII has not found announcers yet. That's why the main protesters were the scammed car "owners".

The Hank family was once considered by the US government "a threat to national security".
Jorge Hank is the main suspect of the killing of "El Gato" Felix, who had investigated into his gambling business. He was briefly in jail because he was caught bringing into the country an incredible amount of furs and skins from endangered species (an avid hunted, he "collects" them).
Everybody agrees that Hank Sr. was personally charming. But the whole Hank dinasty makes me puke.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:28 pm
Please keep writing--this is one of the best threads about a foreign country I've read on a2k.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:14 pm
Funny, how people forget.

"He won't steal. He's rich, already", was the argument used by priista cadres in the election of Carlos Hank Sr. as governor of the State of Mexico, in the early 70s (or late 60s).

Nobody freaking asked how could a schoolteacher get so rich.

The Hanks are so damn rich, they practically own the PRI.
Since PRI lost the presidency in 2000, it was cut for one of it's main sources of funds (corruption in the federal government). This, plus the fact that the number of unemployed priista cadres soared, has turned into financial woes for the party.
The PRI went almost bankrupt. In fact, it even had to mortgage its main offices. A big building complex on Insurgentes Avenue.
Guess who financed this, and other mortgages, at discount rates you won't find in the internet? Banca Interacciones, owned by the Hanks.

Their first payment was the Tijuana major PRI candidacy for Jorge, "Women are my favorite animals", Hank. The second installment will be Carlos Jr.'s candidacy for governor of the State of Mexico.

If I'm not wrong, it will end up in 2006 with Roberto Madrazo (Chairman of the PRI's National Executive Comitee) as President of the Republic, and the freaking Hank bros having him by the balls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:05 pm
Listening..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:06 pm
and I'm late to the debates. Just got home, it's pouring rain, I needed to decompress with a2k for a minute.

Ok, now to the debate.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:06 pm
I'm obviously addicted to A2K. I'm listening to the debate and writing this at the same time. Bush is doing much better than last time, but Kerry is mangling him anyway. It's not a fair contest: Kerry's got the facts on his side.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
Hi, JL, I was watching the debate in the dining room, home of my rarely watched tv, hidden as it is in a 1940's radio cabinet (with its sony rear end sticking out).....

I didn't check a2k, would take too long, but I got more house cleaning done than in the last few weeks as I reorganized the piles of things and eliminated clutter.

I have long hated listening to most political speeches. I am not very keen on exhortation, and chary of theatricality. I learned this was true about me being married to a playwright, not that I didn't like his plays - I did indeed - but in all our playgoing I about died from boredom. SpeechCity.

Last time I might have really enjoyed listening to a politician was hearing JFK when I was young, and that was in part because - wait - because he talked so nice and fast. I remember that as being new to me. Also, he was cute and made sense. (My dad and I went to meet him as his plane landed at LAX - looking back there might have been less than a hundred people there. We just stood around and waved. Must have been 1959? I would have been seventeen.)

As I age I understand that slow speakers sometimes have fast synapses, and vice versa.

In any case, from my laundry room (suddenly my laundry interested me) I couldn't tell which was speaking this evening by cadence or tone or volume. I could, of course, as I got closer to the dining room.

Besides, one made sense.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 11:19 pm
Osso, I too cannot stand political speeches, primarily because of their insincerity. But since this is the most critical election of my life-time I watch every gesture and listen to every word intently. Except for the magnetic pull of A2K.
Good night all.
0 Replies