Do you boycott certain businesses?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Then let's try again....how much right do you think u have to know the opinions of a business owner before u do business with him?

Me, I don't care. I care if a guy is honest. I care if he is a criminal. But his personal opinions are personal even if I should find out about them so long as he is not rubbing his opinions in my face.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes his personal opinions are his business, and its his customeres personal business to dine elsewhere if they don’t agree with those opinions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 08:47 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
I get that, I would boycott myself if he were in my area and I knew his takes. I'm from ******* Venice (CA). Boycott is a big word. I just would never go there to that restaurant.

I don't like targeting of people posting freely on a2k. A vast number of people on a2k disagree with me and none of them ever rattled my cage on my last firm.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 08:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Who said I had a right to know your opinion? Again, can't you read?

If I knew your opinion, expressed somehow far and wide, I would feel free to shine your restaurant on. Otherwise I'd become part of your posse. No, thanks.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh I openly target hawkeye, he's a menace to society at large!
You're a sweet lady, osso, but not the savior of a2k Smile People know exactly
what they're doing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:01 pm
I started to going to small hole in the wall restaurants in LA back in the mid seventies (there was a good writer about those, then, in the long defunct Herald Examiner, Kit Snetiker). After two or three or four decades, I've been to countless of those, later following Jonathan Gold's takes all over creation and back. I don't know the opinions of the owners. Well, one or two or three, who became friends (some long stories).

I suspect I know more about restaurants than asshole does. However, I am not for ferreting out his place of business.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Who said I had a right to know your opinion? Again, can't you read?

If I knew your opinion, expressed somehow far and wide, I would feel free to shine your restaurant on. Otherwise I'd become part of your posse. No, thanks.

That is dark age thinking....that we can't interact with others who disagree with us. Eating at my place in no way indicates that you agree with my views on marriage or anything else.

This is important stuff here ....this is about civility. This is about the ability to work together to get things done. It "I will not work with tom because of his views on the subject of Y" thinking which is more than anything responsible for the decline of America. Look at how the people in Washington act for exhibit A.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:11 pm
Meantime, Jeffrey, I'm a woman with a foodie screen name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, I don't have to spend money at your place if I think your opinions (that you talked about at large) are barbaric, somehow to be civil. Get a grip.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No, I don't have to spend money at your place if I think your opinions (that you talked about at large) are barbaric, somehow to be civil. Get a grip.

Then dont let me catch you complaining about those in power in Washington doing the exact same thing you do as America rots. It is people like that and you, not free thinkers and free speakers like me, who are the major problem. I am not doing anything to anyone, I am not hurting anyone, and yet you call me barbaric. Look around at all the hurting which is going on in America today, look at the grinding poverty we have and the middle class which is under attack and all of the kids who have **** education and almost no chance of a life as good as their parents have....

Yet I am the one to be shunned, because of ideas.

Inability to prioritize is a major problem with Americans now. You haz it big time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 09:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're kidding.
Do you remember the rape thread?
You are a typing violater while being a poseur.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 10:03 pm
@jcboy,
I haven't boycotted all that many businesses in the past, but certainly made an exception in boycotting all French goods in response to the French government's actions in sinking the Rainbow Warrior in 1985. Fernando Pereira, a photographer, drowned on the sinking ship. The sinking of the GreenPeace yacht by French secret service agents was completely unacceptable & fully deserved the outraged international response it received.

The Sinking of theRainbow Warrior: Responses to an International Act of Terrorism:
http://northampton.academia.edu/JanetWilson/Papers/1088902/The_Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior_Responses_to_an_International_Act_of_Terrorism

Also in response to French nuclear testing in the Pacific region:

Big mobilisation against nuclear testing:
http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/8866

But right now I think I will be boycotting Shell petrol, in solidarity with those in the northern hemisphere who are protesting the pollution of the Altantic Ocean by waste from Shell. Our oceans don't need any more crap deposited into them. Especially by a business which could well afford safer options for disposing of its waste.:
Quote:
Both Labour and the Liberal Democrats yesterday supported a customer boycott of Shell petrol because of the company's insistence on dumping the Brent Spar in the north-east Atlantic.

Liberal Democrat environment spokesman Matthew Taylor told the Independent: "Shell is going for the cheapest disposal option in dumping at sea. But the consumers have it in their hands to make this more expensive for Shell - one of the best ways to put pressure on the company is not to buy its petrol."

Opposition support for Shell boycott:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/opposition-support-for-shell-boycott-1587146.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:04 pm
Quote:
It’s not every day that the leader of a big business steps into a national debate that has the potential to offend many of its customers.

But Dan Cathy, president of the popular fast food chain Chick-fil-A, has done just that, saying on a radio show that “we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

Following backlash after those remarks, Cathy then told the Baptist Press in an article posted July 16 that he is “guilty as charged” and is very “supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit.”

Reaction has been fierce and swift. Bloggers sounded off. Celebrities promised to boycott Chick-fil-A. Fans of the company reacted on Twitter and Facebook with everything from support to disgust.

Chick-fil-A’s Christian ethos is already widely known. The chain, which has more than 100 locations in Virginia and more than 50 in Maryland, is closed on Sundays, pipes in hymns on the grounds surrounding its headquarters and has previously come under fire from lesbian, gay and bisexual and transgender groups for donations made by the company’s foundation.

So why have Cathy’s comments caused such a stir? On the one hand, you could argue leaders of businesses, particularly private, family-owned ones, should be able to speak their minds. But when a business leader elects to take a public and vocal position on a hot-button political issue in an election year, he or she also risks losing the support of many of its customers. It is one thing to be an organization that “operate[s] on biblical principles”—staying closed on Sundays, making donations to groups it supports, remaining debt-free. But it is quite another to imply that people who support same-sex marriage—many of whom are surely customers—have a “prideful, arrogant attitude.”

Cathy’s remarks would have been less explosive, if still controversial, had he made them at least a bit more balanced, as he had in the past. In January of last year, he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “we're not anti-anybody,” adding, “our mission is to create raving fans.” The company also issued a statement to the paper saying that ”while my family and I believe in the Biblical definition of marriage, we love and respect anyone who disagrees.”

It’s safe to guess Cathy may be making fewer such comments in the future. In a statement posted to the company’s Facebook page (and sent to me in response to a request for an interview), the company said its culture is to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender.” In addition, it said, “going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.”

For leaders of companies with a national, diverse customer base, that’s probably where it should be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/chick-fil-a-president-dan-cathy-bites-into-gay-marriage-debate/2012/07/19/gJQACrvzvW_blog.html?hpid=z10

Sounds like come Hell or high water there will be no reversal from this company, much less an apology.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 10:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
So tonight I had two VERY gay guys in. They loved me. They also stayed a long while having multiple courses and tipped very well. I like that everybody seems to feel comfortable in my place, all age groups, military in uniform, Greeners, mothers with kids, families. "you are all welcome, please come" is a nice place to leave things.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:36 pm
If I spend my money in a restaurant, the restaurateur is making money off me (if he isn't, he's not in business very long). If he uses the money he got from me for something I find appalling, I'm enabling him to do something I find disgusting. If he shuts up about it, I'll never know, or won't know until sometime afterward, and I can't change my behavior retroactively. However if I do know about it, I'll change my behavior and stop enabling him. Personally you may be a wonderful guy, Hawk, (tho I have my doubts) and you may think of your restaurant as a place of harmony and tolerance, but if you use the money you get from it and me to support something I find terrible, I'll cross you off the list.

I might add that here in MA we didn't vote on whether or not gay marriage was legal. We didn't have to. The Supreme Judicial Court said it was legal under the State Consitution. That was fine with us. A right is a right, you don't vote on it. It's been, what, eight years now, and it's accepted, the Commonwealth hasn't fallen, it hasn't even teetered a little bit, and no one gives a **** about it. That's tolerance.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
So if I get you right if you were very pro gay marriage and you found my name (not the business) on a donor list to oppose gay marriage the you dont want to eat my food, but if I only say that I dont support gay marriage then you are OK with coming in.

THat is an interesting place to draw the line. I see you splitting hairs between personal free speech and political action participation, which sounds reasonable. In this example of Chick whatever so long as they have not financially supported an anti gay marriage cause then you should feel yourself free to nosh on their chicken sammiches.

Quote:
but if you use the money you get from it and me to support something I find terrible, I'll cross you off the list.

Then rest easy, we are still in start-up, the only contribution I have made (the business) to date is to sponsor a kids soccer team. If you knew my name the only donor lists you would see me on is environmental causes and war vet support.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:59 pm
I was thinking more in terms of Chikfila, Denny's, and Domino Pizza, and the Mormon Church (for Prop 8), than you in my post, but if you say you don't support gay marriage even if you don't put money into the opposition, then there is still something that makes me very uncomfortable about coming into your establishment. Of course you may get Rev. Dobson and his wild-eyed cohorts in instead of me and you may feel very comfortable with them (I wouldn't). But as JC says, gays like to eat, they've got money, and they talk to each other. Words DO have consequences, there's no way around that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:14 am
@MontereyJack,
If your circle can only include people who dont say that they disagree with you on subjects that you care about then you are not a very tolerant person.

Too bad, at first glance you seemed to be more reasonable.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:05 am
I'm not particularly tolerant of people who are not tolerant, that's true.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 01:34 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I'm not particularly tolerant of people who are not tolerant, that's true.

If you insist. But you will be missing out on half of the best restaurants, as well as half of everything else

Quote:
Half of Americans believe gay marriage should be legal, but nearly as many are opposed, the Gallup organization said Tuesday in releasing a new poll that it said underscores “just how divided the nation is on this issue.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11603182-half-of-americans-support-gay-marriage-in-new-gallup-poll?lite

It is narrow minded intolerant people like you who are the problem, you and your self indigent abusive insistence that everyone needs to agree with you. Grow the **** up and learn to get along with others.