Did you ever think news like this will come?

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 12:52 pm
A news article on comments from the public comment section of another news article.

Yahoo password hack draws frustration, jokes

Well I'll be damned.

Rorschach

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@Rorschach,
Here is the back story that incited these comments.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48161562/

Quote:
Yahoo confirmed on Thursday that about 400,000 passwords were in fact stolen.

"We confirm that an older file from Yahoo! Contributor Network (previously Associated Content) containing approximately 400,000 Yahoo! and other company users names and passwords was stolen yesterday, July 11," the company said in a statement to CNBC.

Of the stolen passwords, however, less than five percent of the Yahoo accounts had valid passwords, the company said in the statement.

The company is fixing the vulnerability and changing passwords of affected Yahoo users. It is also notifying companies whose accounts may of been compromised, according to the statement.

The security firm Rapid7 said a data file published on the Web contained logins and cleartext passwords for Yahoo as well as several other Internet services, including Google Inc's Gmail and AOL as well as Microsoft Corp's Hotmail, MSN and Live sites.

"It's way bigger than Yahoo," said Rapid7 researcher Marcus Carey. "We can assume that tens of thousands of people on services outside of Yahoo could be compromised."

Chairman Alfred Amoroso acknowledged that Yahoo had experienced a "tumultuous" year at its annual shareholder meeting on Thursday morning. Interim CEO Ross Levinsohn told attendees he was optimistic about the company's progress.

Yahoo spokeswoman Dana Lengkeek did not respond to a request asking her to identify the companies whose credentials were stolen. Officials with Google, AOL and Microsoft could not immediately be reached for comment.

Lengkeek said "an older file" had been stolen from Yahoo Contributor Network, an Internet publishing service that Yahoo purchased about two years ago. It helps writers, photographers and videographers to sell their work over the Web.

The theft follows a breach reported last month by the business networking service LinkedIn, which resulted in the release of some 6.4 million member passwords.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 01:14 pm
@Rorschach,
CNN is not known for good journalism, especially in the technology section.

Most of the time in CNN the comments are more entertaining to read, and makes more sense than the actual article itself.
Rorschach

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 02:09 pm
@aspvenom,
I guess in the end Yahoo isn't greatly affected by this incidence.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11615007/1/yahoo-confirms-hacks-400k-affected.html
Quote:
Despite the hacking incident, Yahoo! shares outpaced the NASDAQ on Thursday, trading down .66% to $15.70. The stock is down 2.67% year-to-date.
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
It seems Journalists these days are either too lazy, or afraid, or forbidden to write a real story, so they have become just that: people who write a journal.

This sums up the news media in America.
ESPN is the country's leading source on coverage of the Penn State/Sandusky child sex abuse scandal and at the very same time they were feeding us the cover up scandal they were simultaneously aiding to cover up child sexual abuse at Syracuse by hiding a phone conversation that proved the allegations were true from police and the public for 8 years.
That's what every major news media provider does at some level.

I am disgusted that CNN has not told me how this breaking comments affect the housing market or can give you cancer.

I thought news was meant to inform people and make them more intelligent, but I guess filling them with fodder is a valid option.

aspvenom

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:49 pm
@Rorschach,
You got a dry sense of humor.

I also get a kick out of reading Amazon product reviews. Sometimes people write the craziest things.
roger

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:08 pm
@aspvenom,
True. I find them useful overall, but you have to do some serious filtering.

Hingehead (I believe) once post comments on a tornado warning device. It averaged 4 out of 5 stars.

One said he liked the ease of setting different locations

One liked the clear and easy navagation system (whatever that is)

One was very impressed with the packaging

They all gave it 5 stars.

This one only gave it one, but it seems fairly important.

Did not warn of tornado.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 09:03 pm
@roger,
Close to nobody I like better than Hinge. Not to bias anyone for or against him.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2012 09:37 am
@roger,
Did you know Newt Gingrich does alot of reviews for books in amazon?
I just came across him when I was reading the reviews of The Veteran by Frederick Forsyth

0 Replies