Women in a mans world.

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:47 am
Rape and sexual harrasment under any circumstance is unacceptable. In addition the response by the coach was at the very best stupid. However, the question is should a female be competenng in a male dominated sport such as Mens football. I wonder that when a female becomes "one of the boys" is she not tempting fate and setting herself up for just such incidents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/20/opinion/20FRI1.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,132 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:52 am
Fifty years ago I wouldn't have the job I have now as such industries were male dominated. By your logic, if I were to be raped by a coworker I guess I've just been tempting fate and set myself up for it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:01 am
Sugar
No comparison between being able to work in the industry of your choice and participating in and on a men's college football team.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:17 am
Your premise was based on a woman trying to become "one of the boys" by participating in a male dominated activity. This has occured in almost every facet of life. Private clubs, many sports, the military, colleges, places of employment, fitness centers and hundreds of others.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:23 am
If her only complaint was that someone had patted her on the arse after kicking a field goal I'd say she'd be barking up the wrong tree (since that happens with every male kicker out there too) but the insinuation that since she hopped onto a football field somehow she was asking to be raped is over the top.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:24 am
Sugar
I said a sport such as football. Should she have been allowed to participate? IMO she should not. Like it or not Men and women are not physically the same.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:30 am
Fishin
I never said that she was asking to be raped. I did however, say she was setting up the conditions where sexual harassment is almost a certainty and rape a possibility.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:39 am
No, you didn't say she was asking to be raped. But you come darn close.

The only "condition" necessary for someone to be raped is that there be another person around who decides that the first persons body is theirs to use as they please.

Next we'll hear about how "suggestive" those shoulder pads and her helmet were and how the males on the team just couldn't control themselves beacuse of them.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:43 am
The topic was not whether or not she should be allowed to participate in a college football team. The topic was that because she WAS allowed to play on a college football team she was tempting fate and setting herself up for rape. It has nothing to do with her physical ability to play football.

Going with your example of a male dominated sport such as football, then any woman who now or 50 years from now that may play on a college or professional mens football, soccer, baseball, rugby, basketball, lacrosse, or hockey team is tempting fate and may be setting herself up to get raped.

First you state that rape and sexual harrassment are unacceptable. Then you end it by stating that she may have "set herself up for it". There is no such thing, au1929, as a woman who sets herself up for rape and as long as people in the world believe such a thing the longer it will take for people to understand that a woman being pushed to the ground, stripped of her clothes, punched, choked and having some man penis forcibly inserted into any orifice he choses is not something that might be understandable because she might have "set herself up for it".

I don't know any woman who has actually "tempted fate" to end up with broken jaws, smashed ocular cavities, cut and bruised thighs and stomachs and anuses and vaginas ripped opened and bloodied. Not a one. And that's just the physical damage - the ones that heal. It makes no difference if it's a woman on a football team or a mayor's office or your daughter on a college campus. Rape is wrong and any attempt at justification by the players, the coach, or a writer for the NYT is a disgusting attempt to justify the acts of a lowly criminal who dares call himself a man.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:49 am
I thaught/hoped that something like "she was setting up the conditions where sexual harassment is almost a certainty and rape a possibility" was something, only to be in history books - back 100 years, when stupid males tried to defense their "domions".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:55 am
Sugar
Look closely. There were two questions asked. One should a women be competing in a male dominated sport such as football. And further by doing so is she tempting fate and setting herself up for such incidents. Those are pretty straightforward questions are they not? I never in any way indicated that they were acceptable or should be condoned or justified..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:23 am
Sugar--

Go, girlfriend!

Rape is an act of aggression.

Au1929, are you suggesting that men are victims of their hormones which force them to commit acts of lust? That women should be veiled and shrouded (or even stay indoors) because the presence of a woman in a Man's World is going to inflame men?

You speak of "tempting fate"? Is fate located in the crotches of louts and yabbos?

Do you mean perhaps that she could choose not to play football, but her rapist was forced to commit a violent act upon her because she was available?

Personally, I don't want to play football--but if another woman does, fine. She's asking to play football--not to be raped.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:35 am
'Tempting Fate' is just an excuse. Rape is intolerable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:37 am
au

I like your expression "a male dominated sport". :wink:

Why are men playing e.g. volleyball, a from the beginning 'female-dominated' sport'? Or why are they doing gymnastics?

To dominate that later and then to say ..... Shocked
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:38 am
au1929 - your question had nothing to do with physical ability. I have given a straightforward answer - that the meer suggestion that any woman would "set herself up" is a disgusting and neanderthal mindset and should be deemed as completely unacceptable to any person, anywhere, at anytime.

On the point that woman should not participate in a sport (such as football) that is dominated by men is equally unacceptable no matter whether the opinion is based on "well, you're a girl" or "well, you're good enough, but your tempting fate to be raped and/or harrassed".

You also state that there are conditions where a woman may possibly 'set herself up' for rape. I am stating that there is no such thing, nor should anything be seen as such.

So there are my straighforward answers to your straightforward questions. In short, it is my opinion that you couldn't be more wrong or misguided.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:42 am
Walter when I said male dominated sport I was speaking of men's teams.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:46 am
Sugar
Women do not belong in men's locker rooms!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:50 am
au1929 wrote:
Sugar
Look closely. There were two questions asked. One should a women be competing in a male dominated sport such as football. And further by doing so is she tempting fate and setting herself up for such incidents. Those are pretty straightforward questions are they not? I never in any way indicated that they were acceptable or should be condoned or justified..

1) If she's good enough(which is very rare), then she should be able to compete if allowed. For example, there is no female football team...
2) She is NOT setting herself up or "tempting fate." Unfortunately, rape happens, but it's the norm.

So it's "fate" to get raped if a woman surrounds herself around men? An equally empty question would be, is it fate for men to be falsely accused of rape if they surround themselves around women?
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:55 am
I don't want to go into a man's locker room. I want my own damn locker room.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:58 am
What does any of this have to do with locker rooms? Obviously a woman would typically use a seperate room.
0 Replies