Drink, drank drunk

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:42 pm
You hear people say things like "He's a drunk" all the time. But is this really correct useage? It seems to me it's one of those ungrammatical statements that has become so widespread in the everyday vernacular that it has gained acceptability merely by repetition. To me, 'drunk' is the past participle of the verb 'to drink.' If you wish to describe a person who has drunk too much, or who is in the habit of drinking too much, shouldn't the word be 'drunkard'? You hardly ever hear (or see) 'drunkard' used any more these days although it used to be quite common in the first half of the 20th Century and earlier.

What say you, Roberta et al?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,404 • Replies: 21
No top replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:35 pm
Well now in the way people talk "drunk" can be a noun and therefore is used when people are such. Plus drunkard sounds dorky. I don't think people who go to bars will say, "look at that drunkard."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 06:33 am
I think current usage sanctions "drunk".

Growing up I heard much disapproval about the "rummys" down by the river. Crossword puzzles are big on "sots". I know a 44 year old Black Sheep who is still known as a "bottle baby".
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:54 am
Andy, According to my handy-dandy dictionary, the term "drunk," when referring to a person who has imbibed too much, was first used in 1779. I'd say it's been around long enough to be an okay term.

I have no problem with "drunkard." A bit more formal. Let's face it, a tippler by any other name still needs a breath mint.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
1779, huh? Gee, that's even older than I am.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:07 am
And, speaking of old, does that delightful word 'dipsomaniac' still have any currency anywhere?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 01:39 pm
Yes, it is heard at times over here, but its usage is confined to just jocular use, which is a shame.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 02:19 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
And, speaking of old, does that delightful word 'dipsomaniac' still have any currency anywhere?

This reminds me that I could read Jack London again :wink:
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 02:33 pm
Yep - that's the way it goes
Drink - drank - DRUNK.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 03:46 pm
I can't cite any examples right now. I'll keep my ears open. But several times lately on NPR I have heard stories where the reporter should have, IMHO, used the past participle but didn't.
A local cab company has little witticisms written on the trunks of their cars:
"One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 06:51 pm
Alcoholics Anonymous has a motto, emphasizing the importance of group unity:

I get drunk. We stay sober.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:13 pm
Jack London? When I was a lad of 13 or so (a half-century ago) I devoured every one of his stories.
The most haunting one is about a man, trapped in the wilderness with only a few matches. He attempts and succeeds in getting a fire started. But then...
I moved on to Poe and Twain and beyond, but London was the bridge between little kids' books and real literature. Thanks. -rjb-
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:22 pm
drunk as Larry Dooley?
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:24 pm
I prefer "as full as the family po"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 09:39 pm
Jack London and drinking. If you're ever in Oakland, CA, you must visit the First and Last Chance Saloon on the waterfront. It used to be a Jack London hangout. What is unique about this little hole-in-the-wall bar is that it slants -- I kid you not -- at almost a 45-degree angle. Floor, bar counter, everything is aslant. I was told that this dates back to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Oakland wasn't badly damaged in the quake. But the saloon was built on pilings over the pier. The tidal surge made the pilings settle and caused the whole structure to go lopsided. For sentimental reasons, I guess, nobody has ever bothered to straighten the thing out and now it's on the National Register of Historic Buildings. The joint's been in operation as a gin-mill since 1881, continuously. (I wonder what they sold during Prohibition?)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 10:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
(I wonder what they sold during Prohibition?)

If you had to ask, they probably wouldn't have sold you any.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:01 am
Jack London. The Call of the Wild. I loved Buck.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:45 pm
here is a collection of words to desribe being drunk, drink, dronk : basted, boiled, bunned, embalmed, illuminated, (and the one i like best) Methodistconated - there about another twenty words for being drunk (from the book : "dewdroppers, waldos, and slackers - a decade-by-decade guide to the vanishing vocabulary of the twentieth century"). it's a real hoot ! hbg
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:59 pm
Merry Andrew, while describing a saloon, made this observation...

Quote:
What is unique about this little hole-in-the-wall bar is that it slants -- I kid you not -- at almost a 45-degree angle.

My first thought was: Do they have pool tables? That would make for an interesting game indeed.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:16 pm
does it slant BEFORE you have had some drinks or does it start to slant once you started to snort a few ? when it starts to move sideways ... it's time to stop drinking(or start moving with the motion ) ! hbg ... hick, hick hick ...
0 Replies