Another SF Meet?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:37 am
@hawkeye10,
the prince wrote:
How can a thread on a meeting between lovely lovely people turn into a thread on politics? <wonders>
hawkeye10 wrote:
no moderation being present.
Do u WANT a boss ??????????
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:32 pm
Let me just note here that aside from the GOP platform containing no exemption for pregnancies that involve rape or incest or where the woman's life is in danger, the draft document contains this...

""We strongly reject the U.N. Agenda 21 as erosive of American sovereignty..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzEEgtOFFlM

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:44 pm
@blatham,
As that one guy said, "this is craziness."

0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:42 pm
@the prince,
the prince wrote:

How can a thread on a meeting between lovely lovely people turn into a thread on politics? <wonders>

I wouldn't know. I left after the dessert course. Cool
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:06 pm
@the prince,
Agreed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:04 pm
@Eva,
Did we have dessert? Mr. Green

If my momory serves, we shared. That's the best kind, isn't it?
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Hi cyclo... very nice to see you. Hope all is well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:55 am
@the prince,
and hello to you too, prince. But I should note that I'm less lovely than I once was. Living in Dallas Texas proves no benefit to the skin nor to any of the important organs.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 03:06 am
@ci
A bit earlier, you noted my omission on voter suppression. Yes, indeed. But I think I can be excused. Trying to cover everything here is rather like the problem of a young child just back from the circus and asked by his grandmother to tell her about all the odd and frightening creatures that passed before his eyes.
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 04:03 am
And finally, to george...

Old friend. I have to be honest and tell you that your responses to me and to subsequent posts here were unexpected. We had a call from our mutual new york city friend (the smart lady) who phoned to say hi and to tell us she was voting for Obama this cycle. As you know, that is at variance to a life-time allegiance. In her case, the fundamental objection seems to be the neoconservative contingent in Romney's foreign policy team and what is is nearly certain to mean if he were to win. But I suspect her divergence has more behind it than this singular set of concerns.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:35 am
@blatham,
Now, that really is a surprise (what the 'smart lady' perhaps [sic!] wil do).
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:24 am
@blatham,
Not faulting you for missing voter suppression; just wanted to make sure readers get the message. It's an important issue in this election.
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hi Walter
Isn't it ever? Just one more reason to love the girl. She was never fond of the neoconservative ideology (and persons) if I recall correctly. Still...wow.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 11:43 am
@blatham,
But she's .... well, sometimes very nice. Wink
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi CI
This project, organized, widespread and transparent in purpose, is a violation of the the most fundamental mechanism of democracy. It makes me feel murderous.

In 1957, William Buckley wrote that whites were the "superior race" and that whites should, even if in minority, retain political control of the nation. Modern social conservatives (white) clearly share this ideology. Pat Buchanan is the paradigm example claiming that the white, anglo saxon, Christian domination we've all known is at threat in the west and therefore it is proper, indeed it is a moral imperative, to keep minorities and young people from voting. It seems to me, thinking back on prior conversions, that George may share some sympathies in this direction. And, of course, this has deep echoes of America's southern (particularly) past.

But what sort of future is entailed under such a project given the changes in US demographics? It means that democracy is simply tossed aside. And if that step is taken, and justified as a proper end, what else might be tossed aside with such ease?
blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Her elbows are perhaps almost as sharp as her mind. I miss her.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:34 pm
@blatham,
I miss her too.

Sometimes.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:37 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I miss her too.

Sometimes.
Yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
The "sometimes" qualification applies to most everyone I miss. But I can see how people would miss me universally and consistently.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:08 pm
@blatham,
Of course.