Another SF Meet?

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 09:14 pm
I do have to say it's been very refreshing out here on the Left Coast for the past week and a half. I could so easily get used to living in a blue state.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 09:18 pm
@Eva,
Decisions, decisions, decisions.... you have to make those while considering jobs, family and friends.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 01:28 am
Hi guys
Hope all is well. We passed through Albuquerque too but I was piloting a moving truck and we had limited time to get one of the Texas ladies back home so we had to rule out visits along the way.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 01:42 am
@blatham,
What a rare moment ... hope, all is fine, bernie!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
@blatham,
<understand>

0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:26 am
@the prince,
the prince wrote:

I am way too far to make it Sad I would have loved to see you guys again.

Not that far from here! Get a wriggle on, then!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:30 am
@margo,
I'm willing to meet up with anybody who plans to visit this area. I "think" I'm going to be cutting back on my travels - beginning next year.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 03:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Hi Walter
Axiom: if you find yourself living in Texas, all cannot be fine. But your wishes are appreciated nonetheless. Hope all is well with you, too.
blatham

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 06:06 am
Anyway, thought I'd just stop in and say hi. If george shows up, could you let him know that I'd love it if he'd toss off an email. My full name @gmail will do the trick.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 08:48 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Actually, in mid January, Jane and I passed through San Francisco and as we had a couple of Texans with us who'd never seen the city (or the coast) we did the passage slowly. Drove up to the redwoods (where George meets with odd people in that strange tree-worship thing they do) and that drive provides a vista of the city that's really quite awe-inspiring. I do love California very much. Stopped at Carmel which I'd not seen before and totally fell in love with the place.

In any case, what with this election getting closer and what with everything that has happened over the last four years, I thought I'd pop in here and see what sorts of discussions might be taking place. Not a whole lot, my brief glance suggests.

But I did want to say hi to george, one of my favorite a2k folk, ask how he's doing and get some notion of how he is thinking about his party now.
What a pleasant surprise ! I don't frequent A2K as much anymore, but, mostly out of nostalga, opened this thread to see what was happening and .... there's blatham !

Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope that you and Jane are well and happy ... which from your remarks appears to be the case. In Carmel did you stop in the Hog's Breath Inn (about a block north of ocean Ave)? Once a very long time ago I was the arm wrestling champion there for a couple of years. Finally got beat decisively by some skinny wiry guy and couldn't understand it.

That redwood covered place to which you referred is just across the Russian River from the town of Monte Rio. It's the largest unspoiled redwood forest in the area and a very nice experience. Food's good too.

I'm well; still working and enjoying it but Elise has got me travelling now: Germany last year and Latvia & Estonia this fall.

As we watch the impending collapse of government managed economies in much of Europe, it is quite remarkable to note that anyone here would wish to imitate them or travel down the road that got them to where they are. However, there are always those who seek to encourage and swap the illusions of hope and change of others for the increase of their own power.

I like freedom and individual initiative better, even though it is sometimes a bit disorderly. I have always been suspicious of those who ware sure they know what's good for the rest of us and determined to impose their version of paradise on everyone else - with themselves in charge of course. Recent events have added to my convictions in that area.

I recently read a book on related points that you might find interesting and challenging. It's "The Death of Common Sense" by Philip Howard, first published about 14 years ago, but in reprint now.

Anyway, more important than all that please contact us next time BEFORE you pass this way again so we can continue our mutual reeducation.

Regards

George
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:18 am
@blatham,
Thanks for asking, Bernie!
georgeob1 wrote:
Germany last year

We are doing fairly well, too.
Have been travelling quite a bit, in Potsdam/Berlin just now again, for ten days ...
georgeob1

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 07:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I envy you. Potsdam is very beautiful and the atmosphere there everywhere pleasant. I was bemused to discover the terraces in front of Frederich's summer palace were designed in part to get good sun exposure for his grapes. Interesting man,

Stay well and enjoy yourself Walter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've visited Potsdam only once, but Berlin a few times. I really enjoy East Berlin, because it's really a nice walking city with good public transportation to get around all over Berlin.

I've noticed how much they've developed many parts around Friedrichstraße, the area I spent most of my time there on my visit in 2005.

Will be on my way to Italy on September 1 for 16 days, an Aegean Sea cruise on October 21, and maybe back to Cuba on December 28 for one week. An AMA cruise in Portugal in March with a visit to Spain before we fly home.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 06:19 pm
Hi george
Very nice to see you again or hear you or grok you or whatever this is.

So, you remain unrepentant yet after all that has transpired? I'm sure consistency is an admirable human trait as I've been told it is by all sorts of quality people. And they don't change in this opinion of the values of consistency, not the slightest bit or fragment or degree. Straight down the line on it every time. Or at least I assume they are as I stop listening quite early in the conversation.

In any case, a guest just arrived at the door so I must run.

Will get back to you soon.
Bernie
dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 07:42 pm
@blatham,
Blatham!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 09:14 am
Good day, haresuit.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:42 pm
@blatham,
The lack of repentence and consistency of belief and outlook can be found in many parts of the spectrum from lunacy to mere stupidity to knowledge and finally wisdom.
blatham
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 02:45 pm
@georgeob1,
I'm sure that is true, george, and I do not in the least begrudge you the twenty bucks it cost me to have a translator help me hold an arrangement of 13 mirrors reflecting your sentence such that it finally made sense.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 02:53 pm
@blatham,
"13 mirrors." Wow, that's even difficult to imagine how they are arranged. Mr. Green
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
I couldn't have done it myself, ci. It took a real expert.
0 Replies