Its Independence Day!! And Im about to get really obnoxious about it! LOL

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, let us ignore the hundreds of thousands who died to end slavery, and cherish a grudge 135 years after slavery was outlawed in this country. .

So you can't cherish a grudge 135 years after slavery, but it's alright to cherish a grudge 90 years after Ireland became independent? Thanks for pointing that out.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:17 am
@izzythepush,
As usual, when you have no argument, you just make **** up. Please cite the post in which you have unequivocal evidence that i cherish any grudges with regard to Ireland. You are a shameless liar.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:34 am
@Setanta,
Well for starters, how about when people in the UK and ROI were celebrating the fact that McGuinness and HRH Liz Windsor were shaking hands, all you could do was bleat on about press bias in Canada, and try to drag up the past?

That's a bit grudgey, and it's just off the top of my head. Then there's your perjorative use of the word Saxon. How about your "Modest Proposal" bait thread? Let's not bother looking at how the ROI and UK are getting on really well, when we can examine the horrors of the Irish potato famine.

I'm not going to waste my time going through your posts, but it's something I've been aware of from the start. I'm not the only one to have noticed it either and they're not all "limeys" (another perjorative word you're quite fond of,) by any means.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:38 am
@izzythepush,
That's bullshit. All i did was take notice of the media bias in North America. I didn't know that the North American news media and Ireland were the same thing. Imagine my surprise.

I call you Saxon because you're a hateful little ****, and i know you don't like it. I defy you to cite a post in which i mentioned the many famines which took place in Ireland.

Basically, you're just making **** up because you actually have no argument. You are a shameless liar.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:42 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
which is it then?

Which is it then, ehBeth?

You can love your country and fight wrong & stupid government decisions precisely because of the love of your country.

I love my country & constantly argue against stupid government decisions.

Have you never done the same?

Is your government always right?

I doubt it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I defy you to cite a post in which i mentioned the many famines which took place in Ireland.

Obviously you don't know what A Modest Proposal is all about. Or is it just another example of your celebrated sense of humour like 'sammich?'

What are you going to do for an encore, use the 'N' word ironically?
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:49 am
I didn't say my country right or wrong. Gracie didn't say my country right or wrong. Beth didn't say my country right or wrong. You're indulging hysteria, just like Izzytheputz likes to do.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:52 am
@Setanta,
That's right Malvolio, you didn't say it, but you all implied it. What else were all those stomach churning memes about freedom all about?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
You display your petty hatefulness by making a snide remark about sammich. My thread entitled "A modest proposal" was not about famine. It was not about Ireland. It was not about Swift. I was testing a minor theory i had, which i said up front. My theory was not confirmed, which i also said later in the thread. You're clutching at straws. Not a single one of your hysterical accusastions has any basis.
Thomas

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:14 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
It's a shame that some of the adult US A2Kers here, who regularly communicate with her, didn't alert her before she made such a goose of herself.

You don't get it. Making a goose of yourself is a key part of being a fan, and Gracie is a fan of her country. For a parallel, consider Sozobe, whom you regularly communicate with. Did you ever alert her (and other fans of the Greenbay Packers) how preposterous her avatar looks with this gigantic wedge of cheese on her head? Did it have any effect? Should it?

In my opinion, the correct answers ought to be "no", "no", and "no", because ridiculosity is the point of fan rituals. And as long as people come back to their senses afterwards, there's nothing wrong with one-day craziness, be it on Independence Day or Superbowl Sunday.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:18 am
@Setanta,
I wasn't making a snide remark, just pointing out your comic mastery, if only Swift had had that one in his arsenal, you might have known what he meant.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:25 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
You don't get it.

I think I do & I think others have "gotten it", too.

What does being a "fan" of someone (or not) have to do with agreeing or disagreeing with what someone has posted here?
This is not FaceBook.

I'm responding to what was posted here, nothing more.

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:28 am
@izzythepush,
I knew what Swift meant. This is also typical of you. You can't pick a fight based on what i've actually posted, so you attempt to do it with feeble insults about my use of language or my understanding. It's sad how pathetically you struggle to "score."
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:32 am
@Setanta,
I'm sorry, I didn't realise we were fighting. I thought you were being ironic. Maybe you should be a bit less ambiguous, then you wouldn't get into such terrible scrapes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
My thread entitled "A modest proposal" was not about famine. It was not about Ireland. It was not about Swift.

Maybe you should start a thread called the Bible, which is not about the old or new testaments, Jesus or the Gospels. It could be all about 'sammiches.'

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:45 am
@izzythepush,
That would be a good idea, were it not so far below my standards. That you don't understand something is not evidence that there's anything wrong with it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:48 am
Apparently, you're so dull-witted that you think when Faulkner wrote The Sound and the Fury, it should have been about Macbeth.
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:58 am
@msolga,
The "fan" part has nothing to do with Facebook, it has to do with exuberance and silliness and not taking this all too seriously.

I haven't seen "my country right or wrong" sentiments expressed by Gracie -- just a lot of goofiness and exuberance aided and abetted by a whole lot of internet memes, that was tempered nicely by her acknowledgement of snood's post.

I don't think she was making a goose of herself, and find that accusation to be a misreading of her tone and intent.

Meanwhile, I do see how you can both say no to whether you love Australia "warts and all," but then also say that you love Australia. I feel the same way about America -- I love it, but I don't love its warts. And of course it has some.
thack45

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:38 am
This thread demonstrates my dislike for patriotism quite well. Even if it is innocently (if not a bit ignorantly) intended, it is not always well received.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:43 am
wow, here is a (newly) 14 year old who was excited about the 4th of July and expressed it in a thread - even warning everyone that it will get "obnoxious"
and still, her parade is rained on midway into her celebration.

It looks like that none of you (with some exceptions) have ever been 14 years old. Can't you truly put yourself into the shoes of an excited teenager who adores anything flashy including the 4th of July?

It's sad, actually, it really is! I am not born in the U.S.A and have lots of
objections for 364 days, but why do I need to bring all that negativity into
the one day, Americans celebrate Independence Day?

Snood, you are the perpetual victim in just about every post you make.
There comes a time when people have to look beyond that and move on - without forgetting its history but also without constantly lamenting about it.
0 Replies