Its Independence Day!! And Im about to get really obnoxious about it! LOL

firefly

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:47 am
@FBM,
Quote:
"Patriotism is the belief your country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.” George Bernard Shaw

That's not how I would define it.

I appreciate my country because of the rights of citizenship that I enjoy here--the primary one being that we have a government that derives it's power from the consent of the governed--and my most significant act of "patriotism" has been to vote in every single election, both general elections and primary elections, that has been held since I came of age many decades ago, and to work toward changing those conditions and policies with which I do not agree. My grandparents could not do those things in the countries of their birth, and, had they not migrated here, to escape the oppressive conditions they were born into, those rights of citizenship would not have been possible for me. They taught me that you do not take liberty for granted, and they taught me to love my country for the freedom, and self-determination, and possibilities for personal fulfillment, it offered to them, and to me, and to countless others.

My country is not superior to all other countries, but I do believe it is a wonderful country to be born in, and a hell of a lot better than where my grandparents were born, and a country I believe is well worth loving and defending. For me, "patriotism" is simply my sense of identity with that country, and her guiding principles, and her very diverse population.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:51 am
@Setanta,
Thanks Malvolio, that's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:52 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
I have no problems criticizing my own country's foreign or domestic policies at any given point in time, or in debating and discussing policies in my country's history with my fellow citizens or with people from other places, I just don't see those things as having any relevance or connection to what's being celebrated on the 4th of July. This nation, and it's government, wouldn't even be here to criticize if that Declaration hadn't been signed in 1776. I'm glad we're here, I'm glad I was born here, and I think that's what Gracie was saying too. Patriotism, just like organized religion, can have ugly aspects when it's used as a tool of abuse or to make others feel inferior. But that wasn't what Gracie was doing, she was expressing her love of her country on the one day of the year when we can enjoy some sense of national unity and pride in our country's ideals and guiding principles rather than focus on the differences that can, and often do, divide us.

Why is it necessary to present a "counter-view" to any of that, or to do it in this particular thread? Can't some celebrations ever be free of divisiveness, just to have some fun--and having some fun was clearly what Gracie was doing. Does even a fun thread at A2K have to become more serious or combative in tone?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg16/scaled.php?server=16&filename=symbolthumbsupgreend.png&res=landing

Quote:
Whether one liked, or disliked, the style in which she expressed herself, she is simply happy she was born in the U.S.A., and she chose a very appropriate occasion, Independence Day, to express those feelings, I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to try to counter-balance that sort of love of country and appreciation of citizenship. While people are certainly free to do that sort of thing, for their own reasons, and not everyone who did so was trying to incite ot agitate, it does throw an unnecessary damper on something intended to be a "fun" thread. Sometimes we should just allow ourselves, and others here, to have some fun.

Exactly.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:53 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The assholes would be assholes, and the relatively good-humored would have thought it was amusing.

Isn't that the truth!! It gets more disgusting by the minute ....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:53 am
@thack45,
Quote:
but separate nations probably work as a decent "check and balance" for humanity

Tell that to 3 million dea Vietnamese, a million dead Iraqis, 3/4 of a million dead Cambodians/Laotians, 50 thousand dead Nicaraguans, millions of dead Koreans, ... .

Separate decent nations, maybe, Thack, but there are too many greedy nations around, including the greediest, most rapacious.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

On the contrary. If some British kid came in here on whatever day you people celebrate Britain

And what day would that be?
snood

Aidan,

I think the rest of it is pretty much beyond hope for reasonable discussion, so I'll just reply to this part...

Quote:
How ******* condescending. You don't think that in fourteen years she has gained an understanding through living a life that goes beyond mouthing platitudes from Lee Greenwood songs and parroting jingoism.
And you work with kids you say - jesus!

Again, my opinion and yours. No, I don't think a fourteen year old generally does have any basis on which to base a worldview that objectively balances her native country against the rest of the world. If you do, that's fine. But it doesn't make my opinion ******* condescension. And it certainly wasn't any cause for you to question my ability or my fitness to work with teenagers. That's hysterical hyperbole, whether your're thinking about Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Lee. .

Ticomaya

@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

sozobe wrote:
This is actually very interesting. The expectation seems to be that I'd find the post full of pro-England images annoying, somehow, as an American. When I didn't in the least.

Probably because it's more of a novelty. It's not so much of a novelty for us, what with certain posters constantly banging on about how America is much better than anywhere else, and expecting us to fall to our needs and thank you all for WW2.

Are you sure you just don't have an inferiority complex?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
As for her "liking" where she lives, that's great. But what has a 14 year old got to base that on? Compared to what? She's had experience enough to mouth platitudes from a Lee Greenwood song, and parrot jingoism she's heard from others. She has every right to do so, to do it in a cutsie "look out! I'm about to get obnoxious!" thread, to do it standing on her goddam head on the roof. I don't care.

But everyone who's posted something here that was not flattering about the US has the same right.

Yep ... you have every right to be an asswipe.
snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

sozobe wrote:
This is actually very interesting. The expectation seems to be that I'd find the post full of pro-England images annoying, somehow, as an American. When I didn't in the least.

Probably because it's more of a novelty. It's not so much of a novelty for us, what with certain posters constantly banging on about how America is much better than anywhere else, and expecting us to fall to our needs and thank you all for WW2.

Are you sure you just don't have an inferiority complex?

She must, since that's the only possible reason for being sick of cheap patriotism.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:57 am
@Ticomaya,
See now Tico? We had accomplished 2 or 3 posts without namecalling between us. Couldn't stand it, could ya?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:02 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Lash wrote:
On the contrary. If some British kid came in here on whatever day you people celebrate Britain

And what day would that be?

November 5th?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:03 pm
@snood,
I didn't call you a name. I merely expressed that you have every right to come to this forum and be an asswipe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:04 pm
@Ticomaya,
No, I don't, and I think it's that that pisses them off.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
We don't celebrate being British, we celebrate a failed terrorist plot. We don't get the flags out on 5th Nov.
aidan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:06 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Again, my opinion and yours. No, I don't think a fourteen year old generally does have any basis on which to base a worldview that objectively balances her native country against the rest of the world. If you do, that's fine. But it doesn't make my opinion ******* condescension. And it certainly wasn't any cause for you to question my ability or my fitness to work with teenagers. That's hysterical hyperbole, whether your're thinking about Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Lee. .

Well, yeah we disagree then because I've worked with some incredibly intelligent and thoughtful fourteen year olds who read - yes - newspapers and books and who are quite capable of abstract thought and reflection. I've read papers by fourteen year olds in history classes that would put similar efforts of alot of adults to shame.

If you think that fourteen year olds just invariably derive their life view from Lee Greenwood songs and simply parrot jingoism - yes, I'd call that condescending.

I didn't read that Gracie compared her experience of living in the US either favorably or unfavorably to any other specific country. What I read said she appreciated her life here and now as it is. This wasn't a compare and contrast exercise.
Why does she have to compare it with anything to make her experience of pride and happiness about her home relevant?

I just don't get it.

No - I don't think my reaction was hyperbole- I asked a question. If you were working with MY kids, I would hope that you would give them more credit than you gave Gracie here. I'm sorry you didn't like the way I expressed it, but that's the way I speak and write.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-5037882
JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:08 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I appreciate my country because of the rights of citizenship that I enjoy here--the primary one being that we have a government that derives it's power from the consent of the governed--and my most significant act of "patriotism" has been to vote in every single election, both general elections and primary elections, that has been held since I came of age many decades ago, and to work toward changing those conditions and policies with which I do not agree.

You don't normally seem delusional, FF, but this sure is.

Long ago you promised to address the incredibly important issues of the US raping and pillaging, not to mention murdering untold numbers of citizens from other countries.

Have you worked to change this commonplace behavior of the US? As you mentioned, you have had decades and it's at least as bad now as it was half a century ago.

Or is it that you agree with these policies?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
I see an awful lot of flags flying on St. George's day - I don't know when it is - sometime in the spring.
I guess that is celebrating being English rather than British though.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:28 pm
@aidan,
I've worked with some exceptional 14 year-olds as well. The fact that they would have an informed view of their country comes from their being exceptional - I spoke of 14 year olds generally. If I worked with your 14 year old and she is exceptional, I'm sure I'd pick up on it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:39 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
and the fact that we've survived and thrived as a nation.

That was a given considering how much the US has stolen from the rest of the world.

It's this paranoia that runs through American history. The meme - There are always boogeymen out to destroy this noble experiment. With this idea driven deep, a completely false idea, y'all have been complacent little children, ready to allow the stupidest of men - Reagan, Bush and Bush are just three examples, to destroy other countries.

Quote:
What is at all "ugly" about that sort of national pride or the festivities that celebrate the signing of a document that put forth our national ideals and guiding principles, ideals and principles of government which were not wide-spread in the world on July 4th, 1776, and ideals and principles which successive generations in our country have worked to bring into fruition since that time.

What is so ugly is the hypocrisy, FF. The US has never been about these ideals and principles. The US has used those as a screen to, well, you know by now, illegally invade, on its own or by proxy, is it every Central and South American country? and numerous others around the globe.

It's the over the top pretense. People are expected to show remorse for their crimes. You're big on that, just as you are big on law and order. But when it comes to the US and its myriad, exceedingly serious crimes, your sense of justice fails you, badly.

From the US, no remorse. From the top guy, lame excuses as to why top US officials shouldn't be held accountable for their war crimes. That doesn't illustrate that there are principles and ideals. That is a clear illustration of a rogue nation, a lawless band of marauders.
0 Replies