Eva

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 02:50 pm
@GracieGirl,
<APPLAUSE!>
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 02:57 pm
@GracieGirl,
You show more intelligence, awareness, and insight than I possessed at your age -- or, for that matter, throughout my entire adolescence.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
"My country. When right, to be kept right. When wrong, to be put right."

I like this.
snood

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:22 pm
Quote:
I think snood missed the point of this thread.

It wasn't a subtle point. I didn't miss it. I get it - "I'm going to set off my sparklers and cheer my cheers this independence day, so you non-fun people are forewarned!!"

You feel you're being slammed for just posting a hip-hip-hooray for the US. Sorry. I wouldn't hurt your feelings intentionally. but here's the thing...

The hip-hip hoorays shouldn't offend anyone grown-up, but neither should mention of the ugly side.
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:27 pm
@sozobe,
I just now looked it up to get the exact wording.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."
-- Carl Schurz (1829-1906) (German revolutionary, U.S. statesman and reformer, and Union Army General in the American Civil War)

I've also posted a link below to the Wikipedia article about Schurz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Schurz
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:56 pm
@snood,
You gotta admit though, all things considered, Gracie is WAY ahead of the curve. She still has plenty to learn of course (so do I), and much of that can only be gotten by the passing of time, but she seems to be on a good track. And for all the horseshit and whatnots that go on here, I think this forum is to her great advantage toward that end.
snood

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 04:40 pm
@thack45,
Gracie seems like a wonderful girl. I think I understand some of the kneejerk protection of her, too. But exposure to both sides of the story about the home of the brave and land of the free will add, not detract from her experience.
thack45

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
@snood,
I didn't actually mean to direct my last comment at you specifically. I totally agree with both of your last posts.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:51 pm
@snood,
Quote:
But exposure to both sides of the story about the home of the brave and land of the free will add, not detract from her experience.

But doing it in this thread, where Gracie wanted to celebrate the birth of our country, what's right with this country, and how far we've come, may not have been the best venue.

She's clearly not ignorant or unappeciative of our country's history, and I don't think she needed the "exposure", particularly in this thread. Sometimes a celebration should be just a celebration.

When you celebrate the birthday of a friend or relative, do you remind everyone at the party of every rotten thing that person has ever done in their life?
snood

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:35 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
But exposure to both sides of the story about the home of the brave and land of the free will add, not detract from her experience.

But doing it in this thread, where Gracie wanted to celebrate the birth of our country, what's right with this country, and how far we've come, may not have been the best venue.

She's clearly not ignorant or unappeciative of our country's history, and I don't think she needed the "exposure", particularly in this thread. Sometimes a celebration should be just a celebration.

When you celebrate the birthday of a friend or relative, do you remind everyone at the party of every rotten thing that person has ever done in their life?

No need for the tortured analogy - I get your point.

Its an open forum, but your opinion is noted about the inappropriateness of my posts to this thread.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:47 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Gracie has out and out admitted some of her ignorance of US history, and she's a bright enough young lady. In the long run, long after this thread is forgotten, I'm betting that "exposure" will be to her benefit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:59 pm
I love Gracie.
I don't want her growing up to be a simpleton flagwaver, jingoistic.
A few photos, fine.
I do get that she loves her country. I do too, strongly, in my way.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Maybe Gracie is Colbertizing y'all.
0 Replies

GracieGirl

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Seeing a newly fourteen year old screech (like tennis women at Wimbledon) about Freedom does get obnoxious, even though I know you don't mean to be obnoxious, Gracie. Freedom is as freedom does, and we in the US have many aspects of running over people in our past. But of course, running over people is quite human and many groups do it, and then retribution is nigh, which is called defense.

No offense Osso but if you or anyone else found my posts upsetting or annoying then that's your problem not mine. I mean hello, look at the title of this thread. If you didn't like my thread then you didn't have to look at it or read it. I don't mean to be bratty with you.I get what you mean and I'm not mad at you at all. I just think that some people made a big deal out of nothing and its really frustrating because you guys do that a lot.

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Seeing a newly fourteen year old screech (like tennis women at Wimbledon) about Freedom does get obnoxious, even though I know you don't mean to be obnoxious, Gracie.

Well it was certainly ...um... an off putting experience. Neutral
But then, going by her title for this thread, I guess that was the point of the thread?
To be obnoxious.
It's a shame that some of the adult US A2Kers here, who regularly communicate with her, didn't alert her before she made such a goose of herself.

Maybe because some of the adult US A2kers here have a sense of humor and can take a joke.

msolga wrote:

Setanta wrote:
If Gracie wants to celebrate the country she loves, one day a year, one day out of 365, i'm glad to see it. Screw the rest of you clowns.

Sure. If "Gracie" wants to celebrate your 4th of July celebrations, well why not?
I don't think anyone would have any problem with that. If she had chosen to be considerably less obnoxious about it

If you are "glad" to see the downright ignorance of the "freedom" rubbish that she posted non-stop, earlier in the thread, well that is your prerogative.
Maybe, just maybe, this was the perfect opportunity to educate a young person about political realities?

Look, I've already apologized for offending you guys and I'm not gonna do it again. I really don't see what the big deal is. Its just a stupid thread. You get upset over the dumbest stuff. It's like you look for things to whine and complain about and it's really annoying. No matter what I say here at some point someone's going to get offended. I don't care anymore. I'm gonna post whatever I want and say whatever I feel and if you guys don't like it, too bad. I shouldn't have to apologize for starting a freaking thread and posting memes about freedom. Like, really guys? Some people need to get over themselves.

izzythepush wrote:

I think a country whose education system can produce a girl who only realises that milk is produced by cows udders when she reaches the age of 14, is quite shocking. If you weren't so keen on preaching, you might consider it shocking too, because it really is.

You know what Izzy, there are tons of insults and really really naughty words I can throw your way in response to your very insulting comments but I wont, because then I'd be just like you. So instead I'll give you a lovely little montage of pictures I've selected to show you how I feel. Smile

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mn1s6xc71r1ivm1.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6maywJIcY1qjxydto1_500.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mn7eIh7t1r1ivm1.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mn4x8Ce51r1ivm1.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6miu09LhD1qedofao1_500.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mn5l7R621r1ivm1.gif
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6mngc8wQp1r04tfr.gif
Mr. Green

You're petty and pathetic and this will be my LAST time responding to you. I don't have time for morons. I deal with enough of those in real life. Learn how to act your age and not your shoe size. Oh! And while you're at it, get a freaking life. You're a joke. Rolling Eyes

MegaSanbu wrote:

Yeah their isn't much freedom in America, I'm just saying.

Shocked Ummm...okay. Whatever you say dude.

snood wrote:

Izzy and msolga,
The points you are making are not difficult to understand, and I think any reasonable (and honest) person can see that.

It is never okay to insert comments about the "warts" (some call slavery the "original sin" of the US) of the country, right in the middle of someone's flag-waving. Expecially not during the 4th of July "Independence Day" annual fervor. Especially not on a cutesy thread (self-described by its launcher as "obnoxious" - which I guess should have inoculated it from any contention or sobriety).

So, we should've known better, and if we're going to make these kinds of comments on the 4th of July, in a harmless and cute thread like this, maybe we should go back to Africa or the Phillipines or Ireland or wherever the hell we're from.

Or not.

I'm glad y'all said something. And screw the rest of these clowns.

Yeah, screw you too. Rolling Eyes

snood wrote:

Quote:
I think snood missed the point of this thread.

It wasn't a subtle point. I didn't miss it. I get it - "I'm going to set off my sparklers and cheer my cheers this independence day, so you non-fun people are forewarned!!"

You feel you're being slammed for just posting a hip-hip-hooray for the US. Sorry. I wouldn't hurt your feelings intentionally. but here's the thing...

The hip-hip hoorays shouldn't offend anyone grown-up, but neither should mention of the ugly side.

Um, excuse me, but I wasn't offended AT ALL when you guys mentioned the 'ugly side' of America. I considered what you were saying and I told you what I thought and how I felt about it. What I'm offended by is all of the crap you guys are giving me and all of the insults and how you guys made a big deal out of this.

You guys are soo freaking annoying and sometimes I really hate it here. Some people make this place really suck. So dont worry Izzy, the next time I have a question about something I certainly wont be asking it here. And to avoid any more hurt feelings I sure wont be starting any more threads anytime soon. I come here sometimes for help and to have a little fun but you guys just make my mood worse. I'm soo out of here.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:20 pm
@GracieGirl,
Yup, Gracie colbertized y'all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:24 pm
Um, you'll miss us. We're straightforward with you about what we think, and a lot of us, including me, are pretty happy you are here and posting.

Picture a place where everyone would just say, oh... yeah (deep resonant voices)... to everything you ever say.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:24 pm
GGirl-
Leave if you have to, but just one last thing...

That "screw the rest of you clowns" was more in answer to exactly the same thing said to Izzy and the others of us who were doing something other than rah-rahing. It wasn't directed at you.

And, if you look at this thread, I wasn't ever "giving you crap". I posted a quote; then I defended posting it. Sorry it came out badly.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:25 pm
@GracieGirl,
GracieGirl wrote:
You guys are soo freaking annoying and sometimes I really hate it here. Some people make this place really suck. So dont worry Izzy, the next time I have a question about something I certainly wont be asking it here. And to avoid any more hurt feelings I sure wont be starting any more threads anytime soon. I come here sometimes for help and to have a little fun but you guys just make my mood worse. I'm soo out of here.

Well ... I hope all the douchebags are happy. Gracie starts a wonderful thread (which I didn't see until today), and has to deal with all the flinging of crap. Pretty damn pathetic.

I certainly count myself among the proud, flag-waving bunch. And the many Gracie fans. it's wonderful that she loves her country, and she should. And screw the rest of you.
snood

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:38 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico-
everything doesn't always shake out into two easy groups of good guys and bad guys to pick sides on. I can understand a 14 year old not understanding that. Do you?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:43 pm
@snood,
Right. Not everything shakes out into two easy groups of good guys and bad guys. What's your point? Are you saying GG shouldn't love her country?
0 Replies