62 years ago: Internment of Japanese Americans started

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:46 am
On February 19, 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued Executive Order No. 9066, authorizing the wartime internment of Japanese Americans.

Executive Order No. 9066

Internment of Japanese Americans in Concentration Camps

The story of the Japanese American draft resisters in World War II:
Free to Die for Their Country
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 9
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:06 pm
Walter,
I learned about the internment of Japanese citizens in the summer of 1968 while studying journalism as a guest student at the University of Michigan. I was horrified. I called my mother to ask why I never learned that, using the term concentration camps. My mother said the Japanese were never put in concentration camps. There is no other word for it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:47 pm
They were called detention camps. My Irish friend told me that there were those who wanted to confiscate the hard working Japanese- Americans' property. Sounds about right, but we have to remember that the U.S was at war and the average person was controlled by fear. Unfortunately, high visibility made them ready targets. Sound familiar?

Later, as I recall, the "Go for Broke" brigade proved themselves to be fantastic soldiers in Europe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
Quote:
Main Entry: de·ten·tion
Pronunciation: di-'ten-ch&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English detencion, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin detention-, detentio, from detinEre to detain
1 : the act or fact of detaining or holding back; especially : a holding in custody
2 : the state of being detained; especially : a period of temporary custody prior to disposition by a court

List of Detention Camps, Temporary Detention Centers, and Department of Justice Internment Camps

Btw: Concentration camps -- (German: Konzentrationslager, KZ) originally were "detention centres", later known as mass-murder factories.

Quote:
Later, as I recall, the "Go for Broke" brigade proved themselves to be fantastic soldiers in Europe.

For its size and length of service, the 100th Infantry Battalion and the 442nd Regimental Combat Team was the most decorated US military unit in WWII.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:19 pm
Oh, Lord, Walter. You are the dearest thing. I didn't bother to look up the exact statistics..Do you suppose that I should forgo relying on my memory? My husband and I met a delightful man named Charlie Bendorf while we were into camping. He was "detained" at the facility that was called The Greenbrier Hotel in West Virginia. Later he was sent back to Germany to teach democracy to the Berliners. He married a delightful woman from Kenya whose name was Leah. We had the best discussion and I learned first hand how resilient soldiers can be. We corresponded for a long time..and then they vanished into a homestead in Alaska. I think about them often mainly because he had a fantastic sense of humor, and could put away the booze in a way that you would not believe.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:23 pm
Walter
Walter, I posted this in March 2003, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded every year, especially in these periless times---BBB

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5574&highlight=
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
A friend of mine was born in the wyoming camp. I am thinking there was loss of property involved in the whole detention situation, some of it turning into someone else's prime property (um, is prime one of those words that can't be heightened? if not, then very prime), but I can't back that up.

I don't have any links, just accumulated commentary in the file of my mind.

But I offer an associated remark, from my old gallery partner in the 70's miserable annoying boyfriend (who was sometimes right about things) - "never sell property in California". He said that about leveraging, all the rage back then. Anyway, some property in key areas is near priceless now, but I am not savvy about actual transfer history.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 10:18 pm
Here's a site for Nisei troops in the US Army in World War II. If you keep clicking links, you'll get the complete story. The 442d RCT was, as has been pointed out before, the most decorated unit for its size in the US Army in WW II.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/nisei/index4_cassino.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:10 am
Actually, there's an A2Ker, who should know about this more than any of us :wink:

And, yes, BB, I remembered that thread - thanks, for showing up the link to that thread! - but as you said , one year ago ... :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:44 am
Walter
Walter, that would be Cicerone Imposter who, as a child, lived in the camps.

BBB
0 Replies