We Are So Fucked

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 11:56 am
This is an actual elected Republican.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/krayton-kerns-montana-bison_n_1643167.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1420890,b=facebook

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:05 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,

That's not the a2k CowDoc Diane and Roger and I met..

Thank goodness.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
He said the thousands of bison, combined with unrest in the Middle East will lead to the gas price hike.
Hmmm.
This guy thinks he is connecting the dots when it's just the spots in front of his eyes.

These guys used to be the ones hanging around at the backend of gun shows mumbling at each other about declaring their ranch acreage as "an uncommitted freestate nation." and nobody paid them any mind even when they would speechify at the city council meetings about the illegality of the tax code.
NOW they all have blogs and are LAWMAKERS..... .
And they say they
are the ones who are afraid for the future of the USA. Sheesh.

Joe(sheeeeeesh)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 12:39 pm
I just started and immediately deleted a thread about this, when I saw you already had one. - It all started with the Disney cartoon of Bambi, fer Christes sakes, this plot the esteamed lawmaker pernts out. Only teabaggers and The Onion could push a story like this.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope his views become rampant so the average voter can see just how insane some of the teabaggers are.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:53 pm
Meanwhile:
Quote:
"Look, there are insurance companies who don't want to be put out of business. We've talked to them on the program. I've talked to them privately. They are establishing health care clinics with quality doctors in places like Costa Rica. They're going to continue to sell policies to people who have the ability to fly down there and get treatment. If I have to get thrown into this massive government health care insurance business and end up going to the driver's license office every day when I need to go to the doctor, yeah, I'll go to Costa Rica for treatment."

—Rush Limbaugh on AC

Joe(Is he gone yet?)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 01:57 pm
Not to pile on here but, you've got to understand.
You'd have to spend some time in Montana where cattle ranchers think that bison are the same as rabid dogs, but not as pettable.

Bison carry a disease, Brucellosis, which, if it spreads to cattle can cause mis-carriages. Most ranchers would be happy to have nothing home home on the range except cattle. No deer, no antelope (they can carry it too) no bison, no bears, no moose, no wolves, no coyotes, no freaking prairie dogs.
Just cows and the cowboys riding herd on them on Suzukis.

That's right, no horses, wild or otherwise.

Joe(where seldom is heard.....)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thanks. I know (sort of) about brucellosis but would never have figured that out.

I wonder what our cowdoc thinks. I know he is conservative but he is apparently more than sane despite that (smiles). I figure these guys know about each other.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
In the same vein:

He argues the cutting $500 billion from Medicare will keep that money for Medicare. What?

Paul Ryan Makes Confusing Comments About Medicare
www.huffingtonpost.com
WASHINGTON -- Republican budget guru Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Sunday that by cutting $500 billion from Medicare, his budget proposal would keep that money for
roger

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
It sure sounded good when Obama was going to finance obamacare with 430 billion from Medicare "savings", didn't it?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:11 pm
@roger,
Something from nothing leaves nothing, so the song says.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
Okay, Joe, I reckon I can tell you a bit about Brucellosis, considering the fact that I had it for seven years. Other than some kidney damage, I don't think it hurt me too badly, but some people insist it had to have affected my brain. Brucellosis is only an issue around Yellowstone. Custer State Park, in western South Dakota, has a large bison herd, and they keep that herd clean through testing and vaccination. The feds say that Yellowstone is too big to do that. I disagree. The common viewpoint out here is that rich folks like Ted Turner are welcome to run those idiot bison, but we can guarantee that those outfits will uniformly be run by absentee owners. Nobody who has to work with them likes crazy bison for long. They're really fast, strong, and insane. Other than that, we don't care as long as you keep them in your own pasture. We have one herd here in the valley, but so far they haven't been a problem. Around ten years ago, a yearling bull got away from a herd in the Snake Valley, close to a hundred miles away, and we would up having to shoot him up here, just because no one could get within several hundred yards of him, horseback or otherwise. The true issue is not bison - it's just another weapon that the anti-grazing crowd will attempt to use to regulate the ranchers off the range. I only wish that someone, somewhere, would let the public know that Brucellosis is not just an abortive disease of cattle, but a very real threat to public health. It ranks with anthrax and tularemia on the list of potential biological terrorist threats, but you pretty much never hear anyone but the CDC say that.
CowDoc

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:15 pm
@CowDoc,
...and, by the way, my experience has taught me that no class of legislator, either according to political alignment or previous profession, is immune from the ravages of idiocy. I have no idea who this guy from Montana is, or what he's like. I can tell you that we had a veterinarian named Rex Rammell who ran for governor here, lost, and moved to Wyoming, thus raising the average I.Q. of two states.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:27 pm
@CowDoc,
Did I mention cowdoc has wit?

He talks too fast for me, though, so I should have taped it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 03:36 pm
@ossobuco,
While I have you here in my grip, cowdoc, tell me about vets getting prions -

I've friends, a sane couple, the people I stayed with when I had big eye trouble in 2004, who had a friend in their area in northern california who got bse, a vet, who knew he had it as it was happening. There are not many cases, as I figure you know. I think there are not such records. I suppose I should talk to them again, but she's just about the smartest person I've ever known, and he's a big doubter while liking wine, so I listen to them: the original story I heard then (2004) was very detailed and made sense.

I, of course, don't know.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 06:12 pm
Another:

Allen West: President Obama Wants Americans To 'Be His Slave'
www.huffingtonpost.com
WASHINGTON -- Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) can't seem to stay out of the spotlight, for better or for worse. During a
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't know a lot about prior transmission, osso, but I'm in good company. Nobody else does, either, regardless of what you read in the news. Ten years ago, we were sure that all BSE cases could be traced back to the U.K. and the feeding of meat meal to dairy cattle. Then, some years ago, a case arose in Texas with no discernible connection of any kind to the original outbreak. When we were taught about scrapie (the original prion disease) forty years ago, the common view was that the disease was caused by a virus with an incubation period that exceeded five years. Then it was decided that the protein's three-dimensional shape somehow allowed it to influence other proteins to assume the same configuration. Now, we're back to not knowing, and the possibility of a virus affecting protein synthesis is, at least to me, back in the realm of possibility. However, that's pretty much only my way of thinking. Trouble is, I think it makes as much sense as anyone else's hypotheses at the current time. Again, what we don't know about prion disease is rivaled only by what we don't know about immunochemistry. Although we still assume that BSE and CJD are spread through the ingestion of infected tissue, we can not explain the origin of some of the BSE cases in the past decade.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 07:15 pm
@CowDoc,
Thanks, cd.
That wasn't anything I read in the news, that was a friend of the people I stayed with. She was like the smartest person at UCLA and he's no fool. Not that I always agree with them, except about wine.

I'll ask her, not sure she wants to talk about it. (close friends of her's, death).

I had my own stuff going on at the time so all this was chatter.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
I knew about CJD back in the day, but in reality I was working the tests for our immunology papers, not related to anything like that, and boss knew way more than I did. Plus that was a long time ago now. But - I remain curious.

J
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2012 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
and they/we knew about CJD back in the day, but in reality I was working the tests for our immunology papers and boss knew way more than I did and the tests weren't related to that, it was just our talking. Plus that was a long time ago now. But - I remain curious, especially after the friend of a friend seems to have had it.

J
0 Replies