How long does poison ivy last?

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:47 am
I think I have poison ivy - it is so itchy - I asked the pharmacist and he didn't want to confirm as he said - I am not a doctor.

Anyone his responding answer when I asked what I should confirmed that he suspected it was poison ivy.

My question is it is driving me crazy - how long is this expected to last?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 11,933 • Replies: 23

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:07 am
@Linkat,

i've had it twice.
i was given prednisone each time.
i think it took 7 days for it to go away.
the 2nd time was worse -- larger areas of skin were infected...
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:13 am
@Region Philbis,
yeah this is the case - first time I didn't know I had it - my eyes were all swollen and puffy - went to the dr's and was given steriods as it is dangerous when it gets into the eyes (or so I found out).

Got it this time - not sure where - it is on my arms (especially in the creases where I bend - inside elbow and on my lower legs and a little on my belly). I didn't realize at first was just itchy and then thought - I think this is poison ivy.

It has been a week -and hasn't gone away. Hasn't spread, but hasn't gone away - where I just started a new job - I really didn't want to bother with the doctor unless it gets worse.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:15 am
@Linkat,

it won't go away, and the itching won't subside... get thee to a dawctah!
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:19 am
@Region Philbis,
really - I thought it went away on its own
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:22 am
@Linkat,
I've had poison ivy several times and it lasts a couple of weeks. Skin cream like Benadryl works well. Doctors can give you something to speed things along but you can get through it on your own.

I suggest you learn how to recognize poison ivy. It's pretty easy once you've seen it a few times. Roundup will kill it down to the roots and let you work in your garden in peace.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:24 am
@Linkat,

after getting it twice, i subsequently got a couple of very mild cases of it,
and they cleared up on their own after a few days -- but they were not itchy.
i think once it gets itchy (and starts oozing Shocked ), you then need medical assistance to get rid of it...
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:35 am
@engineer,
Yeah - I know there is alot where I used to live - just moved out. Since the eye incident, I don't go near the wooded/vegatation area to avoid this per my doctor's instructions.

But I did after hearing suggestions above to see my doctor, look up this on webmd. Seems you can also get it from your pets fur which is probably more likely. Will have to make sure in the future when we move to our new house - looks of trees and wooded areas on our new property that we kill (hubby will need to do this) any potential poison ivy.

I've never had this until last year - I've grown up practically rolling in the stuff where a neighbor of my would be covered with it and I never would have a reaction so until last year was never a concern of mine.

The pharmacist did give me a couple of items he thought would be best - I've been using it some what - but wanted an idea how long I should expect this to last and when I should go see a doctor.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:36 am
@Region Philbis,
Maybe I will just call today and see their thoughts - it isn't too far from my office - and I might actually be able to go to an affiliated office which is actually walking distance to where I am working now.

I guess worth a shot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:02 am
You're gonna need an ocean
Of Calamine lotion . . .

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:28 pm
My doctor was on vacation this week so I did see another one - he suspects it is atopic dermatists (sp?) and not poision ivy - why it didn't go away.

I had an issue more on my face several years ago. I had changed my facial cleansor and other stuff to the most basic and haven't had a problem since.

He did get me a prescription cream and told me to use zyrtec (which I have for my seasonal allergies) - will follow up with my dermotogist in the next week depending on how it goes.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 09:43 am
@Linkat,
We're itching to find out what happens.

Joe(sorry. couldn't resist)Nation

PS: The latest thing in Connecticut is Coxsackie Virus. Very odd symptoms that look a bit like poison ivy. Look it up.... .
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 10:02 am
@Joe Nation,
Great --- the lotion seems to help. But I still have marks on my belly. Although this morning when I was talking about something that caused me great stress, I began to feel itchy on my arms where I've had my rash.

My dermo's office called me this morning and asked me in come in today. So I may or may not know more this afternoon.

I've had a similar thing a couple of years ago, but it was on my face. It did clear up and they never found out what caused it.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 10:13 am
@Linkat,
Apparently Coxsackie gives you blistered areas of skin (inside and outside of elbows) but doesn't itch (thankgod).

Our skin is one big sensitive bunch of cells. I hope this is the kind of thing that just stops after awhile AND that they can identify what brought it on.

Good luck.

Joe(do you itch a scratch or scratch an itch?)Nation
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
ok really weird here the dermo thinks its poison ivy - he said if it was an allergy it wouldn't just show up in the places it did and it makes more sense for poison ivy to be there. He also said the Dr. gave me a really strong medicine so it should take care of it.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@Linkat,
atopic dermatitis is classic in the elbows/behind the knees

Quote:
About 10 to 20 percent of people will develop atopic dermatitis, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. The condition often involves a dry, itchy rash on the face, hands, feet, inside of the elbows, and behind the knees.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/allergy-and-asthma/articles/2009/05/19/got-a-skin-rash-how-to-tell-eczema-from-seborrheic-dermatitis
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 03:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Well it wasn't behind the knees - it is on my calfs and not on my elbows but the crease on the other side of the elbows.

But then again I tend to be backwards so I guess it is still a possibility.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@Linkat,
By my count you are 10 days and counting.....four more days to be done or see the dermo again.

Joe(I am immune to Poison Ivy)Nation

no. really, never have gotten it in my life
mismi

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 01:21 pm
I have a huge wooded lot so we deal with poison ivy a lot. The best thing I have found is called the Ivy Dry - without having to go to the dr. I have friends who seem to have a much more dramatic reaction to the oils and have to have steroids.

If I have been working in the yard, I come in and rub myself down with vinegar (yes, it's stinky) and then take a shower. The vinegar breaks down the oil before it has a chance to react on my skin.

I turn my work gloves inside out and use them only for working in the affected areas of the yard. Long sleeves and long pants help to prevent it as well. Hate them though. But - it is my best defense against the horrid stuff.

You have to be careful burning trash with ivy in it as well...you can inhale the oils and it can cause serious respiratory issues.

I hope you get over it soon Linkat. So sorry - I know it is annoying as can be.

http://www.ivydry.com/images/index_cream.jpg http://www.ivydry.com/images/ivy-dry-super-thumb.jpg

I actually use the spray...love it.
tylerdvorak

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2012 06:06 pm
@Linkat,
Immediate reaction, then full-blown reaction in two days, then impetiginous lesion several days after that, then lesions heal and itching usually stops in 10-14 days.

You can go to the doc and get corticosteroids if the usual (calamine lotion, Burrow's solution compress, Aveeno bath) protocol isn't relieving itching and discomfort.

Just one more thing, most of us know that Jewelweed often grows next to poison ivy; however I would never recommend hiking back to find some. It is usually best just to wash with soap and water (immediately after).
0 Replies