Bend over, you're getting screwed at the pump again.

roverroad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:36 am
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasprices/?cnn=yes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 02:55 am
Prices of gas are highest in California? Doesn't that go against the basic principle of supply and demand? Are they extra taxes placed on fuel in California? Hawaii and Alaska I can see being high, transportation costs, but why is New Hampshire so much cheaper than New York?
Could someone give me a short lesson in economics.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 03:02 am
I think taxes that the states impose for roads and other things have a lot to do with the over all price. In Oregon gas is expensive because the stations have employees on staff to pump the gas since you can't pump your own gas there, But then New Jersey can't pump their own gas and they have some of the cheepest gas in the country, so who knows...
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:36 am
I heard on the radio today that the exporters or whoever it is selling the oil to the US is going to keep this artificial shortage going to keep gas prices up. Talk about gouging!

Now, I realize that the US has some of the cheapest gas in the world. But considering that I'm paying 40 to 50% more than I was a year ago, that's a pretty steep increase.

The US depends on foreign oil to make it's gas, while pumping our own out of the ground and saving it for later. Not sure if I approve of this, but it better work out in the long run.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:40 am
heck, I think on average we are paying about 15 centa a gallon more than we were just a month ago. Price fluctuation like that is just crazy.

And how could the price be going up now with the US in charge of the Iraqui oil fields???
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:43 am
15 cents a gallon? That comes out to about 4 cents a litre. It's not uncommon for us to see our prices vary by that much SEVERAL TIMES PER WEEK!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 04:47 am
Then you are getting really screwed. Just bacause our prices are cheaper doesn't mean they are reasonable. I know a lot of people would love to pay what we pay but it's still too high! But what can we do? we are at the mercy of the oil companies. Since I can't do anything about it I have to complain on message boards. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 10:57 am
I'm just echoing somebody else who's already posted, but less than two bucks for a gallon of liquid that will take me, four passengers, and 1500 pounds of machinery 35 miles is a freakin' bargain.

The beauty is when we complain about price-gouging and other unfair economic prices at the same time we massively subsidize grain domestic grain production and then dump the surplus on foreign markets.

Quote:
Prices of gas are highest in California? Doesn't that go against the basic principle of supply and demand?

Not at all, though I suspect that taxes are the real reason for the higher prices. Higher demand, with supply held constant, means higher prices -- there are more peope willing to pay a higher price.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:08 pm
California also requires all kinds of aditives be put into their gas for smog control. I'm sure that has to be a major reason for the price deference. Gas shipped to California can't be sold any place else because it's a different mixture.

And I'm all for using alternative fuels at the gas pump like ethanol. Then the price would be higher but I wouldn't complain because it would be for a good reason, and a good cause. What's good about gasoline?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 08:43 pm
Plus, there was some news earlier this week, or maybe last week, about the fellow in Venezuela (possibly) closing off their oil to the US.
0 Replies

sss2333

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 09:46 pm
Re: Bend over, you're getting screwed at the pump again.
roverroad wrote:
I just payed $1.68 per/gal at a Chevron in Boise. I think that's probably the highest I've paid in the last couple years. It's outrageous. What's the price in your town right now?

Just out of curiosity, what's the lowest price that you can remember during your lifetime? I think I recall regular being sold for 60 cents a gallon in the mud 80's. Inflation couldn't have gone up that much...

Someone needs to stick it to those big oil companies instead of them sticking it to us. Wus that can you do. remember Gas-Out a couple years ago where everyone was supposed to not buy gas for a day to make the Oil industry feel it in their pocket books. Well they just sat back and laughed because they knew people wouldn't stop driving, they would just make up all of the money the next day.

It's $1.75 for regular unleaded here in Peoria Illinois.

Too bad we dont have a democratic majority in the senate, the last time this happened, the democratic senate threatened the oil companies with a price fixing investigation. Low and behold gas prices dropped back to normal right after that, what a coincidence.

NOT !

Bush and the republicans are swimming in oil, they are not going to do anything but lip service.

SSS
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 05:03 am
Dropped back to normal from $1.75? I can only assume from a statement like that, that unlike seal's tongue-in-cheek post earlier, that many Americans obviously believe that they DO deserve cheap fuel. Because you've already got some of the cheapest on earth, and you're still complaining.

I filled my tank this morning for approx $3.50 a gallon (I say approx because we pay by the litre here). That's up from about $3.20 last Tuesday.
0 Replies

sss2333

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 08:54 am
Wilso wrote:
Dropped back to normal from $1.75? I can only assume from a statement like that, that unlike seal's tongue-in-cheek post earlier, that many Americans obviously believe that they DO deserve cheap fuel. Because you've already got some of the cheapest on earth, and you're still complaining.

I filled my tank this morning for approx $3.50 a gallon (I say approx because we pay by the litre here). That's up from about $3.20 last Tuesday.

You are totally confused Wilso.

Let me clue you in to the FACTS, when the democrats had control of the Senate gas was about $1.20 a gallon here in peoria. The oil companies suddenly started raising gas prices 5 to 10 cents a day, for no reason anyone could think of.

When gas prices hit $2 a gallon the democrats in the Senate threatened to investigate the oil companies for price fixing and price gouging.

Then a miracle happened, gas prices started dropping, and fast, the price dropped back down to about $1.20 to $1.25 a gallon.

Then the republicans re-gained control of the senate and the gas prices started going back up again. Now gas is almost $2 a gallon and the republicans do nothing.

The $1.75 is the current price for regular unleaded, it is not the normal price.

Up until the republicans re-gained control of the senate the normal gas price here was $1.20 to $1.40, got it ?

When it went up the democrats stopped it, hnow it has gone up and the republicans do nothing. It should also be know that when gas was $1.20 a gallon the oil companies were still making a good profit. Now they are making record profits, they are gouging the people and the republicans in congress are letting them do it.

Here are a couple articles for you to read:

New Study Finds Cause of Midwest Gasoline Price Spikes;
Midwest Oil Refiners' Manipulation Of Inventories & Exports To Blame

Green Gas Reformulation, OPEC Had Little Role, Contrary To Refiner Claims

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/sstewert/ilgasinfo.html

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/sstewert/gasinfo.html

BTW, the above 2 articles were copied from the public-citizen.org website.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:16 am
I don't think Wilso is confused at all. Just bewildered that you'd think paying two bucks for a whole gallon of gas is a lot of money.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 02:01 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I don't think Wilso is confused at all. Just bewildered that you'd think paying two bucks for a whole gallon of gas is a lot of money.

Bingo. Of all the people on earth who have got the right to complain about the cost of fuel, Americans are not among them.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
With today's exchange rate the cost of a gallon (in dollars) is about $6.30

stop whinging,if the USA government were acting a bit more responsibly,like European governments, americans wouldn't be squandering this priceless commodity at the rate they do.

Oil isn't replaceable, a couple of hundred years from now there will be none left.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 12:09 am
I'll bet there's more 8 cyl engined cars per head of population in the US than any other country on earth. They're a rarity here, simply because only a millionaire can afford to run them. Not so in the US where fuel is so cheap.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:25 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

Paying anything for gas is too much money! Especially when that money could be going to cheaper alternative fuels. The US could have such an edge if the world went to ethanol burning cars.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:29 am
$2.19 per gallon now
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 07:16 am
How much of the world's arable land would have to be given over to fuel-production if ethanol became the fuel of choice?
0 Replies