Bend over, you're getting screwed at the pump again.

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
I just payed $1.68 per/gal at a Chevron in Boise. I think that's probably the highest I've paid in the last couple years. It's outrageous. What's the price in your town right now?

Just out of curiosity, what's the lowest price that you can remember during your lifetime? I think I recall regular being sold for 60 cents a gallon in the mud 80's. Inflation couldn't have gone up that much...

Someone needs to stick it to those big oil companies instead of them sticking it to us. Wus that can you do. remember Gas-Out a couple years ago where everyone was supposed to not buy gas for a day to make the Oil industry feel it in their pocket books. Well they just sat back and laughed because they knew people wouldn't stop driving, they would just make up all of the money the next day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,872 • Replies: 82
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 09:04 pm
$1.58 regular, 1.68 plus, 1.78 extra (93 octane).

This is bad for Bush. The little guys are always the ones who get hurt by high gas prices, and the ripple effect throughout the nation's economy is pronounced and depressing.

At some point Bush is going to come to realize that all of those campaign contributions from his CEO cronies aren't going to overcome the damage they have done to the economy, outsourcing jobs and lining their own pockets.

By the time he realizes it, it's going to be too late for him to get re-elected.

What a shame. Cool
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:28 pm
Don't know what you guys are complaining about really. Converting roughly to your measurements and currency, I'm paying about $2.50 a gallon... And thats actually pretty good! Ask some of the Europeans what they pay.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:29 pm
I couldn't say for sure, but I think it's more than that here. It amazes me that people think gas is expensive. $2 worth of the stuff will move 3000 pounds 20+ miles. Am I the only one that finds that incredibly cheap? Personally; I think that super economical fact is the reason Green Power isn't more widely used. I say; tax the hell out of it and pay down the national dept. That would open the doors to renewable energy sources. (Remember Ross?) I'm no tree-hugger, but really... we must open our eyes. Idea
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:53 pm
Gas at the pumps here is 74.9c per litre.

I live in a city with gas and oil refineries bordering one side of the city, in the largest oil producing province in canada. We pay more than most other places in the country. Weird.

I like your ideas Bill, although it will kill me when I get my car back. lol
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:27 am
We just jumped up to $1.63 a gallon in KC. That was about a 9 cent jump per gallon.

We were in Frisco, CO over the weekend, and they were about 1.59. Breckenridge was a bit more, 1.69 or so. Denver, anywhere from 1.49 to 1.59, as I recall.

Cheapest I remember gas being was $0.78 a gallon. This was back in '94 or so, in western KS.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:32 am
currently paying $2.14 per gallon, it dropped from $2.17 last week.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:41 am
Ceili wrote:
They are good ideas, but not mine. Ross Perot suggested it back when we were only in dept $3,500,000,000,000. Then he said "Is it going to hurt? Well, sure it isÂ… but its work that needs to be done". I don't think Canada has that kind of dept; so in your case; a high gas tax could be used to lessen your other tax burdens (or are you a citizen of the States?) Here the government behaves like silver-spoon-fed freshmen college students with daddy's Platinum American Express Card.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:16 am
I am shocked that you people are talking abt high gas prices ar less than $2 per gallon !!!

In UK I pay 76p per litre - that is almost $5.50 per gallon Shocked
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:26 am
Well, when you remember paying $0.85 a gallon for it, and now it's up to $1.63 a gallon, then yes, you're going to bitch about it being expensive. We're not complaining about how expensive it is compared to other places, we're bitching because it's a lot more than it used to be. Well, I am.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:21 am
The prices Americans pay for fuel, you've got no idea what a screwing is.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:25 am
Guess that explains the other days long motorcycle ride. :wink:
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:46 am
With 534 army personnel dead and counting, you're all lucky you haven't paid the ultimate price for cheap petrol. Anyone else spotted the breaking story that not only have Halliburton/Root, Kellog & Brown been overcharging for Kuwati fuel (in Iraq, for f@ck's sake!), they have also been overcharging for the meals they have been supplying the US military!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 04:13 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Guess that explains the other days long motorcycle ride. :wink:

That's one way to save. Our prices never went down again after the FIRST gulf war.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:50 am
But! By Gosh we're Americans! We DESERVE cheap gas!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:12 am
SealPoet wrote:
But! By Gosh we're Americans! We DESERVE cheap gas!
Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:13 am
Ceili wrote:
Gas at the pumps here is 74.9c per litre.

I live in a city with gas and oil refineries bordering one side of the city, in the largest oil producing province in canada. We pay more than most other places in the country. Weird.

We got you beat at 82c a litre Ceili Shocked
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:54 am
...about USD3.25 per gallon in tokyo
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:35 am
How many mL in a gallon?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 08:12 am
I am still looking for the free Oil we are stealing from Iraq. Isn't that one of the claims that the left made about the war? That we were going to steal all there oil? well where is it? When are the tankers going to start lining up?
0 Replies