Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:50 am
c.i., I'd love to hear more about your trip. It sounds like you'll have a wonderful time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 11:52 am
Will post something when we return. Wink
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:20 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Derevon wrote:
Why else would you be calling them liars, pretenders and delusional?

I have not called anyone a liar -- nor have I called anyone delusional. I have, I acknowledge, questioned some individuals as to whether or not that person KNOWS if they are being delusional or not.

Don't make stuff up and then post it as though you are stating facts. If you cannot be ethical in your posts, argue with someone else.

Frank Apisa wrote:
You are The Great Pretender, Derevon. Doesn't make you a bad person. But it does make you untruthful.

My mistake, you merely called me untruthful, which is of course something completely different than calling somebody a liar.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Derevon wrote:
You just claimed people are guessing about God!

Post exactly what I said and we will look at it in context. I don't think you are particularly good at paraphrasing -- and you really should stay away from it.

Frank Apisa wrote:
People who "believe" things are actually disguising the fact that they are guessing.

You were of course referring to people who believe in Bigfoot and the tooth fairy, and not in God. Silly of me, sorry.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Not only do I not state (or "believe") that it is not possible to know if a God exists -- I have actually argued with a great deal of passion against people who assert that to be so.

Got that?

My guess is that I have discussed this issue in several dozens of threads -- and I am VERY adamant on the issue. Anyone who claims that "it is impossible to know if God exists" -- is making, in my opinion, an extremely wrong-headed assertion.

If there is a God -- for absolutely certain, that God, if It chose to do so, could make Its existence KNOWN unambiguously -- without any doubt whatsoever.

Got that?

Exactly. "if It chose to do so". There may of course be countless of reasons not to.

Don't you realise that what you say is contradictory to many of your posts? You state that anyone who claims that it is impossible to know if God exists is making an extremely wrongheaded assertion. Yet you often call that which a person claims to know about God, crap. Or is this first statement merely intended as a hypothetical statement about the possibility of knowing about God's existence in a universe in general, if he/it had unambiguously made his/its existence known there? If so, you should perhaps try to be more unambiguous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:29 pm
How did we get into this stuff? There must be twenty threads with these same arguments.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:12 pm
truth
Oh Cicerone, I'm envious too. I'd love to take that tour of Buddhist temples, but only if they'd carry me on a litter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:16 pm
It's optional, but we're allowed to use walking canes. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 07:23 pm
Derevon wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Derevon wrote:
Why else would you be calling them liars, pretenders and delusional?

I have not called anyone a liar -- nor have I called anyone delusional. I have, I acknowledge, questioned some individuals as to whether or not that person KNOWS if they are being delusional or not.

Don't make stuff up and then post it as though you are stating facts. If you cannot be ethical in your posts, argue with someone else.

Frank Apisa wrote:
You are The Great Pretender, Derevon. Doesn't make you a bad person. But it does make you untruthful.

My mistake, you merely called me untruthful, which is of course something completely different than calling somebody a liar.

Deveron, we were discussing this thread.

If you are interpreting my comment "I have not called anyone a liar..." to mean that I have NEVER IN MY LIFE EVER CALLED ANYONE A LIAR OR CALLED THEM UNTRUTHFUL (which really is different no matter that you don't see the difference) -- then you are not as bright as I give you credit for.

That comment was not part of THIS thread -- and we are discussing this thread in this thread.

This is another example of you being unethical in this debate. (YES, I did call you unethical.)

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Derevon wrote:
You just claimed people are guessing about God!

Post exactly what I said and we will look at it in context. I don't think you are particularly good at paraphrasing -- and you really should stay away from it.

Frank Apisa wrote:
People who "believe" things are actually disguising the fact that they are guessing.

You were of course referring to people who believe in Bigfoot and the tooth fairy, and not in God. Silly of me, sorry.

No, I was not talking about people who "believe" in Bigfoot or the Tooth Fairy -- I was talking about people who "believe" in anything. But I will use your illustration of "belief in god."

If a person says, "I believe God exists" -- the person, in my opinion, is saying "I guess God exists" -- but is disguising the fact that he/she is saying that.

And, Yes, it was silly of you to write that sentence, because I meant exactly what I said. I wanted you to furnish an accurate quote so that I could know what you were referencing.

Now that I know what you were referencing --- YES, I do think people who say "I believe there is a God" -- ARE GUESSING.

Do you, for some reason, suspect they are not guessing?

Do you suspect they KNOW there is a God?

And if YES, do you also suspect that the people who claim they KNOW there are no gods also KNOW -- rather than are guessing?

BOTTOM LINE: I said earlier that it is POSSIBLE to know if God exists. I most assuredly did not say that MY GUESS is that there are people WHO DO KNOW that God exists.

Frankly, I think all these people who claim they KNOW Gods exist are merely sharing guesses disguised with the word "believe."

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Not only do I not state (or "believe") that it is not possible to know if a God exists -- I have actually argued with a great deal of passion against people who assert that to be so.

Got that?

My guess is that I have discussed this issue in several dozens of threads -- and I am VERY adamant on the issue. Anyone who claims that "it is impossible to know if God exists" -- is making, in my opinion, an extremely wrong-headed assertion.

If there is a God -- for absolutely certain, that God, if It chose to do so, could make Its existence KNOWN unambiguously -- without any doubt whatsoever.

Got that?

Exactly. "if It chose to do so". There may of course be countless of reasons not to.

Of course -- and if there is a God -- MY GUESS is that it would NOT choose to make itself know. That is my guess, if for no other reason, than the fact that if there is a God, It certainly hasn't done so.

(The only reasonable guess that can be made about that piece of literary over-reaching known as the Bible is that it is not an unambiguous revelation of any god. The best guess about it is that it is a series of fairytales - written in very, very over-rated prose and poetry.)

Quote:
Don't you realise that what you say is contradictory to many of your posts?

No I don't -- and that is because I am not contradictory.

I suspect you are in way over your head here, Deveron. You don't seem able to keep up with the discussion -- and your logic and reasoning are not up to the task.

If you have contradictions that you think merit discussion - bring them up. We'll discuss them.

Quote:
You state that anyone who claims that it is impossible to know if God exists is making an extremely wrongheaded assertion. Yet you often call that which a person claims to know about God, crap.

Often????

And you can document "often?"

Let me ask you this: Do you KNOW of anyone who KNOWS God exists?

Quote:
Or is this first statement merely intended as a hypothetical statement about the possibility of knowing about God's existence in a universe in general, if he/it had unambiguously made his/its existence known there? If so, you should perhaps try to be more unambiguous.

If there is anyone who should be striving for less ambiguity, it is you.

I have no idea of where the hell you were heading with this paragraph snippet, but you missed.

If you can state your notion more clearly, I'll respond.

But we are getting way off track.

I DO NOT THINK ANYONE IN THIS FORUM CAN TRUTHFULLY ASSERT THAT THEY KNOW IF THERE IS A GOD -- OR IF THERE ARE NO GODS.

MY GUESS: At best, anyone asserting that "there is a God" or "there are no gods" in this forum -- is making a guess.

If you want to guess otherwise, Derevon -- go right ahead and do so. But don't give me any more **** about my guesses -- okay! I at least have the ethics and honestly to identify my guesses as guesses rather than trying to hawk them as revelation.

On a personal note: I hope all is well with you and your family. Here in New Jersey we are enjoying a few of the most gorgeous days imaginable - and I hope you folks are all enjoying something comparable.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:47 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
If a person says, "I believe God exists" -- the person, in my opinion, is saying "I guess God exists" -- but is disguising the fact that he/she is saying that.

Now that I know what you were referencing --- YES, I do think people who say "I believe there is a God" -- ARE GUESSING.

And if YES, do you also suspect that the people who claim they KNOW there are no gods also KNOW -- rather than are guessing?

I not only suspect, but have experienced myself, that it's possible to KNOW God through means unknown to science. In my opinion, it's never, not even hypothetically, anywhere, possible to know that God does not exist. If God exists, he can reveal himself, if not, well, then you can never have any proof of this.

Frank Apisa wrote:
BOTTOM LINE: I said earlier that it is POSSIBLE to know if God exists. I most assuredly did not say that MY GUESS is that there are people WHO DO KNOW that God exists.

Frankly, I think all these people who claim they KNOW Gods exist are merely sharing guesses disguised with the word "believe."

Ok. Do you have any particular reasons to believe this, which you would like to share with us?

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

I suspect you are in way over your head here, Deveron. You don't seem able to keep up with the discussion -- and your logic and reasoning are not up to the task.

If you have contradictions that you think merit discussion ? bring them up. We'll discuss them.

What I was referring to is that you claim that it might be possible to know whether God exists or not, and yet you patronise those who claim to know God/of God, or say that they are guessing, and accordingly lying.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
Or is this first statement merely intended as a hypothetical statement about the possibility of knowing about God's existence in a universe in general, if he/it had unambiguously made his/its existence known there? If so, you should perhaps try to be more unambiguous.

I have no idea of where the hell you were heading with this paragraph snippet, but you missed.

What I was trying to determine was if you think that it may be possible to know of God's existence in this reality in particular. Since you said "know if a God exists", it got a quite hypothetical ring to it.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I DO NOT THINK ANYONE IN THIS FORUM CAN TRUTHFULLY ASSERT THAT THEY KNOW IF THERE IS A GOD -- OR IF THERE ARE NO GODS.

MY GUESS: At best, anyone asserting that "there is a God" or "there are no gods" in this forum -- is making a guess.

If you want to guess otherwise, Derevon -- go right ahead and do so. But don't give me any more **** about my guesses -- okay! I at least have the ethics and honestly to identify my guesses as guesses rather than trying to hawk them as revelation.

This time you made clear that it is a guess from your side, which is good. You don't always do this, though. Sometimes you downright claim that a person is lying, or that what he/she says is crap, without any evidence whatsoever. Such statements are not only futile, they may also be considered offensive. Therefore I suggest that you try to express yourself more carefully in the future.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:04 am
Derevon wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I not only suspect, but have experienced myself, that it's possible to KNOW God through means unknown to science. In my opinion, it's never, not even hypothetically, anywhere, possible to know that God does not exist. If God exists, he can reveal himself, if not, well, then you can never have any proof of this.

First let me agree with something you said here.

If there are no gods -- the atheists WILL NEVER EVER BE ABLE TO PROVE THAT. I agree with you there -- and that has been a part of my arguments on this issue from way back. If there is a God - the God could choose to reveal Itself - and so it is possible to KNOW there is a God. But it will never be possible to KNOW there are no gods.

I think the part that you mentioned about having experienced knowledge of god -- is delusional.

No way I can prove that -- it is a guess on my part.

But I suggest it might be productive to this discussion to go a bit further with that - and I'll bring that issue up again immediately.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Ok. Do you have any particular reasons to believe this, which you would like to share with us?

I didn't say that I "believe" it -- I said "it is my guess." I make a clear distinction between guessing, estimating, supposing, thinking - and "believing." It is my opinion that when someone uses the words "I believe" they are trying to disguise the fact that they are guessing or estimating or supposing.

The reason I guess that you and the other who claim to KNOW that god exists -- is because I've never heard any of you give any indication of true knowledge. Most of you say silly things like "I KNOW in my heart" that there is a God -- which is equivalent to saying "I know in my left foot that there are no gods."

The "knowledge" always seems to be a function of wanting desperately for there to be a God -- and then suddenly "knowing there is a God."

Let's turn this around.

Suppose you tell me how you KNOW there is a God -- and unless you have some hard evidence as part of that explanation, please also tell me how you KNOW you are not simply deluding yourself.

Let's just give that a try, okay? I think we can make progress in this discussion if we do that, Derevon.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

If you have contradictions that you think merit discussion ? bring them up. We'll discuss them.

What I was referring to is that you claim that it might be possible to know whether God exists or not, and yet you patronise those who claim to know God/of God, or say that they are guessing, and accordingly lying.

Let's deal with your particular "knowledge" of the existence of God. I will do my best not to patronize you.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:

What I was trying to determine was if you think that it may be possible to know of God's existence in this reality in particular. Since you said "know if a God exists", it got a quite hypothetical ring to it.

Let's leave this for now. Let's first discuss YOUR "knowledge" of the existence of God. We can come back to this after that discussion if necessary.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

This time you made clear that it is a guess from your side, which is good. You don't always do this, though. Sometimes you downright claim that a person is lying, or that what he/she says is crap, without any evidence whatsoever. Such statements are not only futile, they may also be considered offensive. Therefore I suggest that you try to express yourself more carefully in the future.

I suggest you post the way you want to post and allow me to post the way I want to post. I'll try to be as respectful as possible -- but I reserve the right to post the way I want to post.

Let's deal with specifics.

How do you personally KNOW there is a God?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:36 am
What did I miss? What did I miss? My personal approach to the question of whether or not god exists is who really cares, get a hobby. However, assuming there is a god, I highly doubt that said deity is remotely interested in the failed human experiment. I'm a chef, so food analogies always work for me: We, the human race, were god's first angel food cake, and it fell, half-baked. Heh heh, nice reference, seeing as the angels were one of gods first mistakes....Lucifer fell too. Bad cake, that one. I've also noticed that Devil's food cake is much easier to make than Angel food cake. Hmmm, makes you think....excuse me, I must go, the eggs are talking to me and threatening to separate. God forbid we get Greek Orthodox eggs mixed up with the others...or Lutherans <shudders>
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:34 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
The reason I guess that you and the other who claim to KNOW that god exists -- is because I've never heard any of you give any indication of true knowledge. Most of you say silly things like "I KNOW in my heart" that there is a God -- which is equivalent to saying "I know in my left foot that there are no gods."

The "knowledge" always seems to be a function of wanting desperately for there to be a God -- and then suddenly "knowing there is a God."

Let's turn this around.

Suppose you tell me how you KNOW there is a God -- and unless you have some hard evidence as part of that explanation, please also tell me how you KNOW you are not simply deluding yourself.

Let's just give that a try, okay? I think we can make progress in this discussion if we do that, Derevon.

I understand that an expression like "knowing in one's heart" can, and will be seen as ridiculous by somebody who hasn't experienced this himself/herself. I can only answer for myself, but one of the reasons that I have no doubts about myself not being delusional is that this insight has a higher sense of reality in it. It's like comparing the wake state to a dream. It's totally unlike anything I had previously experienced. In a sense it's like waking up from life, realising one was only dreaming. I would like to call it a spiritual awakening. At that moment the belief is elevated into reality, and comes alive! To me God is now ultimate reality, and many things which I used to perceive as real, I now often perceive as hazy and insubstantial, or as something almost dreamlike.

I realise of course that you still will think I'm delusional, and I can live with that. But know that I'm not lying, for lying is contrary to everything I believe in. God is Truth itself!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:01 pm
Derevon, Not to belittle your religious' experience, but it's the conclusion of many of us atheists and non-believers that the human psyche is kind of programed to "feel" religious experience such as yours. "Feelings" can be very strong - similar to what one feels when falling in love - which can be a "religious" experience, depending upon one's subjective interpretation.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:23 pm
I love love!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
Derevon wrote:
I understand that an expression like "knowing in one's heart" can, and will be seen as ridiculous by somebody who hasn't experienced this himself/herself. I can only answer for myself, but one of the reasons that I have no doubts about myself not being delusional is that this insight has a higher sense of reality in it. It's like comparing the wake state to a dream. It's totally unlike anything I had previously experienced. In a sense it's like waking up from life, realising one was only dreaming. I would like to call it a spiritual awakening. At that moment the belief is elevated into reality, and comes alive! To me God is now ultimate reality, and many things which I used to perceive as real, I now often perceive as hazy and insubstantial, or as something almost dreamlike.

I realise of course that you still will think I'm delusional, and I can live with that. But know that I'm not lying, for lying is contrary to everything I believe in. God is Truth itself!

With all respect humanly possible, Derevon, you have just confirmed the reasoning I use to say that "It is my opinion that when theists like you claim they KNOW there is a God -- they are either consciously lying -- or are deluding themselves."

I cannot tell you how many theists, in general, and Christians, in particular, suppose that because they feel this rosy glow (or however it manifests itself with you) -- this means THERE IS A GOD -- AND THE GOD IS MAKING ME FEEL THIS WAY.

It is delusional thinking at its most obvious -- once again, in my opinion.

Apparently, since you have expressed what amount to scorn for my position of being skeptical, you feel that those of us who are agnostics or atheists should simply take your word for the fact that you are, in a sense, communicating with God -- that it is unreasonable for us to be skeptical about such a thing.

I am skeptical about the following:

IF THERE IS A GOD -- Im am skeptical that the GOD works the way you suppose a GOD works.

And I am mind-numbingly skeptical that you can say assert that this GOD communicates information to you the way you are suggesting -- and that you are absolutely sure you are not deluding yourself.

I'm not sure how others involved in this thread feel, but I cannot imagine many of them think it reasonable that God communicates information to you personally, Derevon -- and that you can be certain you are not simply deluding yourself about that being the case.

Hope I hear on this issue from some of the others.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:17 pm
I suppose I am Agnostic as I won't presume to say exactly what a higher intelligence might be. The closest contender is Aristotle's The Great Mover. I can never bring myself to believe it looks anything like the depictions of classical artists or has an intelligence that bears any remote resemblance to ours. As much trouble the God of the Bible has gotten makind into, I don't give that God much credit for being very smart.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 03:56 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I'm not sure how others involved in this thread feel, but I cannot imagine many of them think it reasonable that God communicates information to you personally, Derevon -- and that you can be certain you are not simply deluding yourself about that being the case.

Well Frank, if god can communicate directly with GW, I don't know why not with Derevon. You are not insinuating that GW is delusional are you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
mesquite, Makes us wonder, doesn't it, when GW's message from god has been wrong more times than not - and being responsible for the death of over 15,000 humans - and still counting.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
c.i. I think his listening skills directly correlate to his speaking skills.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:33 pm
That would seem to be a good clue for most people, but there are still about 50 percent of Americans that still think he's doing a good job - and are ready to revote him in for another term.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 04:52 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Apparently, since you have expressed what amount to scorn for my position of being skeptical, you feel that those of us who are agnostics or atheists should simply take your word for the fact that you are, in a sense, communicating with God -- that it is unreasonable for us to be skeptical about such a thing.

I don't scorn atheists/agnostics. Anyway, I'd be a fool if I believed anyone who hasn't experienced this himself/herself would take my word for this alone. My hope is that other people with similar experiences will share these as well, and that maybe one day someone will realise that this is not about desperate people, who in an effort to find meaning to their lives, manage to delude themselves about virtually anything.
0 Replies