Ethel2

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
Oh dear, Frank..........I missed the third one. No fair!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:00 pm
truth
Don't listen to him young lady; he's chronically horny.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 11:04 pm
No, I think Frank's a gulfer. Wink
0 Replies

cough

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 03:42 am
My roots.
My parents and my mom's parents are buddist. My other grandparents are catholics.
I was sent to a catholic primary school because I was kicked out of my state school when I was rather young. There we spent more time singing hymns, praying and going to church then learning. My parents never came to any church-related events except my graduation.
They then sent me to a catholic high school. It was never discussed but it was the only school that would accept me on such late notice. I was supposed to be sent to a private school, which didn't focus much on relgion. During my thrid year i developed a slight hate towards catholisim. Which, I believe, has lead me to my atheistic ways.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 05:41 am
Hi, cough. Have a Luden's. Or a Hall's. Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:11 am
cough- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I think that a person needs to come to their world view through learning and then deciding what seems logical and appropriate for them. You sound like a young person who has been turned off by religion, because of your upbringing.

It might be a good idea for you to do a little research on different religions, agnosticism and atheism. Then, whatever you decide, will be based on positive choice, and not negative reaction.

A good place to start is:

http://www.beliefnet.com/

On the left, there are a couple of quizzes, where they ask you about your
beliefs in different areas that are related to religion. Your answers are compared with the religious tenets of the major religions, as well as agnostic and atheist belief. I think that it will be an interesting adventure for you.

BTW, in case you might think that I am advocating religion, I am not. I consider myself an atheist/agnostic.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:37 am
Lola wrote:
Oh dear, Frank..........I missed the third one. No fair!

You didn't even see my tatoo.

Hell, Gautam has seen the tatoo.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:48 am
Hey, Frank, Didn't I warn you not to play strip poker with Gautam!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
Well; I woke up this morning and I still didn't believe in God. Only 14,600 more days to go.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:28 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey, Frank, Didn't I warn you not to play strip poker with Gautam!

No -- as a matter of fact, you didn't!!! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:41 pm
There's an Arena Football game on television right now. I had assumed that all shut down when Houston lost its team. You see - even an atheist has an occasional misperception.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 07:52 am
a 'clarification' edgar;

the most common mistake an 'athiest' makes is thinking s/he was wrong!
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
I was raised church of england, switched to United, then 7th day adventist.
Then gave up.
I asked far too many questions, definitely a no no in C of E, and the divorce from a violent man didn't go over well in 7th day. Got that Warf rejection circle done to me. Guess I should have allowed myself to be murdered. ???
There isn't a church that would have me except maybe unitarian.
The Dao Te Ching and I get along fine though.
It is like something I knew once and had forgotten.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:39 am
solar wrote:
.............Guess I should have allowed myself to be murdered. ???
There isn't a church that would have me except maybe unitarian..........

solar; there are places like 'this', where you 'belong'
so many chuches (not all) should 'allow themselves to be murdered' to put their parishioners 'out of their misery'!

a wise look at the universe will lead one away from 'superstition'.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
Nice to meet you my fellow Ontarian.

I certainly did get a hard lesson in religious organization 'families'.
I've done well on the web though.
Lots of fellow travelers out there with eyes wide open.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 09:18 am
solar, All my siblings and their children are 7th day adventists. Our mother was the culprit when she converted from buddhist to adventist, but I head too much dogma and "we're better than they are" kind of messages within the church. Never believed in such things even when young. I'm a born-again atheist; haven't found any religion any improvement on humanity.
0 Replies

solar

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 09:31 am
I hear that loud and clear cicerone
I was the worst judgemental person and so darn righteous.
The experience showed me a side of people (myself included) that was a wonderful life learning lesson for which I am grateful. Even with the shame that attitude brought.
May I never be so sure about my beliefs again!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 07:05 am
bogo
That wasn't the first time I was wrong about something. One time I thought I had made a mistake, but found out I was mistaken.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:33 am
truth
I'm beginning to think that I'm not so much an "atheist" as much as I am a "non-theist." The former tends to identify me with the likes of anti-theism activists like Madeline O'hair (sp?). I, more passively, do not buy the "absurd" argument of theism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
JLN, i consider that Madeline Murray O'Hair and her ilk are (were, in her particular case) the "professional atheists." I met a woman here in Ohio about ten years back, who was an atheist, and at first was mistrustful of me. Eventually, though, she gave me piles and piles of atheist literature, and a video tape of a television interview and debate with the "Big Cheese" atheist here in Ohio. Can't remember his name, couldn't care less. These are the people whom, i feel, are referred to by the religionists as the "secular humanists," and they do indeed have an agenda. As far as i'm concerned, they are not atheists. They have made "science" and "rationality" their gods--the polytheist.
0 Replies