Is the phrase used properly?

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 07:13 pm
The usage of the phrase "steered clear of"

Context:

Giving the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that should be carefully steered clear of.

The writer intends to express the meaning: To keep the seriousness of the document, a mistake like this should be carefully avoided.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 900 • Replies: 6

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 12:06 am
You have the correct idea about "steering clear of" meaning "avoiding" (although "avoiding" is shorter and more formal) but I wouldn't say that "given* the seriousness" means "keeping the seriousness".

"Given the seriousness..." in this context means "It is the case that because of the seriousness..."

*GIven, not "giving".
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 12:19 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

You have the correct idea about "steering clear of" meaning "avoiding" (although "avoiding" is shorter and more formal) but I wouldn't say that "given* the seriousness" means "keeping the seriousness".

"Given the seriousness..." in this context means "It is the case that because of the seriousness..."

*GIven, not "giving".

Thank you Contrex.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:10 pm
@oristarA,
Giving the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that should be carefully steered clear of.

It sounds odd in the passive, Ori.

Given the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that one should carefully steer clear of.

Given the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that one should studiously avoid.

Giving the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that a body should carefully steer clear of.
oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 09:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

It sounds odd in the passive, Ori.

Given the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that one should carefully steer clear of.

Given the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that one should studiously avoid.

Giving the seriousness of the document, it is a mistake that a body should carefully steer clear of.

Excellent!
But I failed to understand "a body." What does it mean?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 10:19 pm
a body is a person, and the last one is a decidedly informal way of expressing it, I kind of have the mental picture of anybody who says something like "a body should......" as being a 95 year old backwoods Southerner with a really thick drawl. It's very rarely used in modern discourse, and I think of it as being a Southernism and I mainly use Northernisms (except for "y'all", thanks to years spent in Georgia, which I find very handy).
oristarA

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:23 am
@MontereyJack,
Thank you Jack.
0 Replies