sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What "attempt by the media" are you referring to?

Polls?

Reports about polls?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 08:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The attempt by the Media to portray Obama as a shoo-in is a double edged sword.

you clearly follow different media sources than I do

I'm not seeing anything about a shoe-in for Obama.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 10:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Most media reports that I have seen show a close voter results for Obama and Romney, but the electoral votes is another story. It seems most are saying that if the past holds true, Romney cannot win if he losses Ohio.

The spread between voter polls and electoral vote polls show huge differences.

I still don't think it's a shoe-in for Obama because of the voter suppression action of the GOP, and the possible laxity of democrats if they think Obama has already won.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Romney said,
Quote:
"People will make a choice," Romney said. "I think I have, if you will, the facts on my side. I think the American people will be drawn more to the vision I have for the future of the country, but time will tell."

Exactly what are they? He has never provided any detail on anything he has campaigned on.

Mitt Romney,
Quote:
“And unlike the president, I have a plan to create 12 million new jobs.” —

Some details, please. You ain't gonna do it with more tax cuts for the rich. There's a world recession going on, and demand for goods and services doesn't exist that will support 12-million more American jobs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:13 am
Are Romney and Ryan turning on each other? PDiddie posted the following on facebook, along with a link, which I have not yet read.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan has taken to calling Romney "Stench". Romney's aides have previously been calling Ryan "Gilligan". This might be worse than McCain-Palin.
djjd62

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 05:21 am
@edgarblythe,
it wouldn't surprise me if ryan ends up resenting romney,

if romney screws this up, what does he lose, nothing, he's got a great life, more money than he needs, the only thing the presidency can give him,other than the prestige, is head full of grey hair

for ryan this is his future, hitching his wagon to a losing campaign, could forever damage his chance to advance any farther in politics,he might have a good career, but he could end up being bridesmaid never the bride
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:12 am
That old rag the WSJ says that Romney is just whining about the liberal media. So I guess Finn has to add the WSJ to his long list of entities just being negative about Romney because of bias or stupidity...

According to a poll by the Pew Research Center, Mitt Romney's unfavorable rating is now 50% (versus 42% for President Obama), which is the highest negative rating of any presidential candidate of either party in a quarter-century.

Since pulling even in the polls after the Paul Ryan pick and the GOP convention last month, the Romney campaign has stumbled repeatedly. First came the ill-timed comments following the embassy and consulate attacks in Cairo and Libya. Next came the emergence of a video shot earlier this year in which Mr. Romney disparages the 47% of people who don't pay federal income taxes. "My job is not to worry about those people," he said. "I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." If a presidential candidate has a message that he believes is of no use to nearly half of the country, either he needs a new message or a more convincing way of selling the old one.

Yet Mr. Romney, who is losing by five or more points in Iowa, Colorado, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Florida and Virginia, sees blue skies ahead. Asked how he intended to turn his campaign around, Mr. Romney told "60 Minutes," "Well, it doesn't need a turnaround." And Romney surrogates were out over the weekend blaming the liberal media for the campaign's troubles. Appearing on "Meet the Press" Sunday, Romney campaign senior adviser Bay Buchanan was asked about his video remarks. Her response was that the press "wants to mischaracterize what he said." The video, she added, "has been falsely interpreted [by the media]—deliberately so, I might add."

Ms. Buchanan may be correct, but the press didn't treat Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush any less unfairly, and both men managed not only to win the presidency but get re-elected. Mr. Romney would do better to focus more on reducing his unforced errors and less on the Fourth Estate's political bias. If whining about the liberal media was a winning strategy for Republicans, Newt Gingrich would be the nominee.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444180004578017120411741836.html

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:17 am
I just saw the funniest scene from a campaign stop by Romney/Ryan in Ohio.

After Ryan introduces Romney, the crowd is chanting "Ryan! Ryan! Ryan!" Mitt Romney tries to lead the crowd in another chant - "How about Romney/Ryan, Romney/Ryan, Romney/Ryan!!?" They halfheartedly comply.

But damn, Thurston Howell Romney is sure looking weak.
JPB

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:29 am
@snood,
I didn't find it particularly funny. I did notice the look on Paul Ryan's face though and the pat on Romney's back. I thought it was kinda pathetic.
revelette

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 06:56 am
Mitt Romney 2011 Tax Return Includes Massive Gain From Controversial Bain Deal
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 07:04 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

I didn't find it particularly funny. I did notice the look on Paul Ryan's face though and the pat on Romney's back. I thought it was kinda pathetic.

I know. I suppose its kind of mean to be tickled by someone getting humiliated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:04 am
@edgarblythe,
I wonder if Ryan is having second thoughts....
JPB

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Here's the Raw Story coverage.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:37 am
@JPB,
Isn't this a "new" in presidential elections? Infighting between the presidential candidate and his choice for VP one month before the election will probably go down in the history books, and possibly affect future republicans running for office.
snood

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Isn't this a "new" in presidential elections? Infighting between the presidential candidate and his choice for VP one month before the election will probably go down in the history books, and possibly affect future republicans running for office.

I don't know - weren't there some disputes and infighting among th eMcCain/Palin folks, close to the election?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:57 am
@snood,
I don't think it was as pronounced, and many overlooked it. Palin came out swinging after the elections.

I went on a search and found that the infighting between McCain and Palin got pretty heated about several issues not directly related to their campaign such as money spent on clothes by Palin for her family, and Palin's rhetoric about running for office in the future.

Maybe, there's more.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 06:58 am
Details emerge about Romney's tax ideas.

Good news! He plans to reduce tax rates. (Surprise, surprise)
Bad news! He plans to eliminate deductions, so you won't actually see any change in your tax bill.

Businesses will apparently see some reduction in their tax burden, because corporations are people and Romney apparently thinks they can vote, too.

Romney says his tax cuts for individuals are for businesses, not for individuals

Quote:
"We have got to reform our tax system," Romney said at a morning event here. "Small businesses most typically pay taxes at the individual tax rate. And so our individual income taxes are the ones I want to reform. Make them simpler. I want to bring the rates down. By the way, don't be expecting a huge cut in taxes because I'm also going to lower deductions and exemptions. But by bringing rates down we will be able to let small businesses keep more of their money so they can hire more people."
sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 07:05 am
@snood,
Oh god yes.

Do you remember me talking about "chafin'?" Maybe that was on the Observationalism blog. Anyway, I noticed that Sarah Palin was "chafin'" -- pushing back against some of the handling she was getting from the McCain people -- very early on, before it became a story.

And then it became quite the story!! She felt like she was the main attraction, McCain thought she was a ditzy airhead and regretted choosing her, etc., etc.

That's a lot of what the book (and movie) "Game Change" were about.

Edit: here's blog post on it that I wrote on Observationalism, with a link to the earlier post in it:

http://observationalism.com/2008/10/25/chafin-update/
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 07:19 am
@DrewDad,
So his tax policy is to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic and then give a few wealthy people better seats if they can get in a life boat.

2 + 2 = 12 and we can still reduce the deficit.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:57 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Both President Obama and Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney contend that they have plans to accelerate job creation. This issue brief models and analyzes projected macroeconomic impacts of the candidates’ respective budget plans over calendar years 2013 and 2014, relative to current budget policies. Its main findings are the following:

The budget plans put forward by Barack Obama would lead to increased employment of about 1.1 million jobs in 2013 and 280,000 jobs in 2014, relative to current policy.

The Obama employment gains would be driven by an increase in spending of $135 billion over the current policy baseline, which is the result of $142 billion in temporary spending under his proposed American Jobs Act.

The budget plans put forward by Mitt Romney would lead to small job gains of 87,000 in 2013 and a loss of 641,000 jobs in 2014, relative to current policy, if his proposed tax cuts were fully deficit-financed.

If some of Romney’s proposed individual income tax cuts were revenue-neutral (he has said that they would be, but has not specified what “base-broadening” adjustments he would make to the tax code to accomplish that), his plans would instead lead to employment losses of 608,000 in 2013 and roughly 1.3 million in 2014.

The weaker job growth and outright job losses under the Romney plan are driven by his proposal to cap government spending at 20 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), a move that implies very large cuts to overall spending.

In the following section, we provide economic background on the debate taking place over budgets, deficits, and taxes. We then describe how we analyzed each candidate’s plan to arrive at estimates of the proposals’ respective budgetary impacts, impacts on GDP, and likely effects on employment.

continued at the source
0 Replies