engineer

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:32 am
@DrewDad,
I really don't care if Romney's trust invested in an overseas company in China or anywhere else. I would expect any money manager to diversify investments across the globe.
snood

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:36 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I really don't care if Romney's trust invested in an overseas company in China or anywhere else. I would expect any money manager to diversify investments across the globe.

Fine, as long as you will concede that the financial holdings of any very wealthy presidential hopeful would naturally attract added scrutiny (especially one that touts his business acumen as a major selling point for his candidacy).
engineer

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 08:05 am
@snood,
So stipulated. And let's see his taxes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 09:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
ALL 'blind trusts' are farces. They are legal artifices that are impossible to enforce in real life. It's not specific to Romney.

And therefore, your little narrative fails. It's not reflective of the reality of the situation OR people's opinions on the matter.

In other news, another great polling day for Obama - the WaPo poll puts him up +8 in OH and +4 in FL, both with believable partisan splits. That is major trouble for Romney, as he has practically no path to victory without winning BOTH those states.

Cycloptichorn

PS - Obama is now leading, per RCP, ALL the toss-up states. Romney needs to win almost every single one of those to win. So, he needs some sort of seismic shift.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 09:33 am
@snood,
Not only that, but Romney complains about China's unfair trade, and uses his rhetoric to tell Americans that the rich are the ones who creates jobs in this country.

Romney is a two-faced fraud who benefits from both.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 09:40 am
Cycloptichorn says:
Quote:
PS - Obama is now leading, per RCP, ALL the toss-up states. Romney needs to win almost every single one of those to win. So, he needs some sort of seismic shift.

Ah, the revenge of the 47%. Ain't it sweet.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:03 am
@MontereyJack,
During Ryan's AARP speech:

Quote:
Ryan brought his 78-year-old mother with him and introduced her to the audience, which is usually a sure crowd pleaser.

But when Ryan began talking about repealing “Obamacare” because he said it would harm seniors, one woman in the crowd shouted, “Lie!” Another shouted “Liar!” and the crowd booed Ryan lustily.

Who boos a guy in front of his 78-year-old mother? Other 78-year-old mothers.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81618.html#ixzz27VAUEZWc
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:36 am
@DrewDad,
That's a good un; playing politics with your mother is not a good idea. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:39 am
Here's the national picture:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/09/rcp-924.jpg

It's the end of September, and Romney is not catching up, either on the national or state level.

We've been constantly reassured by rightists that at some point in the future, Romney is going to take the lead, or at least 'unleash the death star' of commercials that will move the race back into contention. At first, it was 'after the conventions.' Then, it was 'by the end of September.' Now, it's 'the Debates will put him in the lead!' Soon it will be just grasping of thin straws regarding turnout.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:40 am
@DrewDad,
Unfortunately for Ryan is what comes across is that he's going to make sure that his mother is taken care of but once she's gone everyone else is on their own. His, "See, I've got a mother too" argument isn't working.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:54 am
@Cycloptichorn,
What's more telling, for me at least, is that the electoral votes favor Obama by a huge margin.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:55 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It's the end of September, and Romney is not catching up, either on the national or state level.

We've been constantly reassured by rightists that at some point in the future, Romney is going to take the lead, or at least 'unleash the death star' of commercials that will move the race back into contention. At first, it was 'after the conventions.' Then, it was 'by the end of September.' Now, it's 'the Debates will put him in the lead!' Soon it will be just grasping of thin straws regarding turnout.

Cycloptichorn

Actually Cyclops, the 'turnout' piece is what worries me. they've got such substantial efforts in so many states attempting to suppress the vote that I'm not sure it won't have a chilling effect on Dems attending their polling places. I can't underestimate the dirty tricks.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Agree with what exactly, mm? what is the Romney message that you think will resonate with voters?

What is he saying that is going to get seniors/veterans (and people who have seniors and veterans in their lives) etc out to vote for the Republicans?

"I am not Obama."
engineer

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:01 pm
@McGentrix,
That was certainly plan one. Unfortunatley, you have to be better than Obama to hold the "not Obama" vote and Romney hasn't been able to sell that. If anything, he is working really hard to show he is not better. The debates will be interesting. Attack ads aren't going to do it going forward. He's got three rounds to score a TKO.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:03 pm
@McGentrix,
Is that enough to get people out to vote now?

I think there are a lot of people who consider themselves Democrats as well as people who self-describe as Republicans and/or conservatives who don't want to vote for Mr. Obama. I'm now also seeing a number of people, who describe themselves as Republicans and/or conservatives, saying/posting that they don't want to vote for Mr. Romney.

Is that second group going to go out and vote?

Getting out the vote seems to be key on both sides.

I guess that's why there's agitation around voter i.d.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:05 pm
@snood,
sorry, I missed this

snood wrote:
Actually Cyclops, the 'turnout' piece is what worries me. they've got such substantial efforts in so many states attempting to suppress the vote that I'm not sure it won't have a chilling effect on Dems attending their polling places. I can't underestimate the dirty tricks.

turnout is one of the things I'm very interested in
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:08 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Agree with what exactly, mm? what is the Romney message that you think will resonate with voters?

What is he saying that is going to get seniors/veterans (and people who have seniors and veterans in their lives) etc out to vote for the Republicans?

"I am not Obama."

Ask the Dems how well that worked out in 2004.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:13 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Well, I'm worried about turnout as well. We'll need the Dems to come out in force to counter-act the BS the GOP has instituted in several states.

Fortunately, turnout models for presidential elections typically show much higher turnout than mid-term elections; and early voting may let as many as a third of American voters vote before election day. Obama has invested a ton of money in his ground game, and we can hope it will pay off.

I also wonder, to raise a different point, if Evangelical voting is going to be suppressed due to Romney's Mormonism. I know several people back in Texas and Iowa who won't vote for Romney based on the fact that he's a member of a cult. How many votes can he afford to lose from this critical block, and still win??

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 12:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You wrote,
Quote:
I also wonder, to raise a different point, if Evangelical voting is going to be suppressed due to Romney's Mormonism. I know several people back in Texas and Iowa who won't vote for Romney based on the fact that he's a member of a cult. How many votes can he afford to lose from this critical block, and still win??

I would think that would depend on the precinct and the number of voters they represent against the total. For example, in Utah, the majority of republicans will drown out any apposition. It looks like a numbers game for each district.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2012 07:24 pm
@ehBeth,
The attempt by the Media to portray Obama as a shoo-in is a double edged sword.

There are a lot of people who would just as well not bother to vote and if they think their vote isn't needed to put their guy over the top, they won't bother.

Their intent is blatant and infuriating, but it is bound to back-fire.