revelette

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:43 am
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Akin_Romney_GOP_chart.png
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:50 am
@revelette,
I'm glad that Akin's comments are bringing people's attention to the fact that the Republican party is about government involvement in everyone's private lives.

I think people should know they are voting for Big Brother.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:20 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I believe I've gotten all the answer I'm going to from the right-leaners here.

Looking for principle in all the wrong places, I suppose.

I think they may just operate from different principles.

My (and I think your) principle is: let's get the vote that comes the closest to matching the will of the electorate. We're willing to accept a miniscule, statistically insignificant, amount of voter fraud in exchange for getting as many valid voters to the polling place as possible.

Their principle seems to be: allowing valid votes is less important than preventing invalid votes.
revelette

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:44 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Their principle seems to be: allowing valid votes is less important than preventing invalid votes.

I would buy that if there was widespread voter ID fraud in existence, but since there is not, I don't give them much credit for having good intentions.

Straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:47 am
@revelette,
Oh, I believe it's a wholly cynical attempt on the part of the GOP establishment.

I just think the folks posting here might not be that way.
JPB

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:59 am
Apparently, there's some movement among Ron Paul supporters to cast an anti-Romney vote by voting for Gary Johnson. I must say that given that I think more R-leaning Paul supporters would swing towards Johnson in swing states than D-leaning Paul supporters I think this is a wonderful outcome. Shady treatment of Ron Paul by Romney and GOP
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:55 am
@revelette,
Your chart says it all very simply, but why are women still voting republican?

I don't get it!~ ?????????
JPB

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
You assume that all women are (or should be) pro-choice, ci. That's far from the case. Some of the most vigilant pro-lifers/personhood people I know are women and Republican.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:10 am
@JPB,
That's fine and good, but it still doesn't make (common) sense. Planned Parenthood helps tremendously with women's health in many ways other than abortion, and even then they don't speak out in support of an organization that is helpful to women.

That those same women will bring to full term pregnancies from incest or rape to advance their cause of "pro-life" seems extreme and stupid. (Which it is.)
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:15 am
@JPB,
Actually I am pro life but vote democrat on all other issues and think that the republican platform is extreme on that issue (contraception, planned parenthood funding...) and most women must agree since there is a big gender gap in favor of Obama.

Quote:
According to a recent poll by NBC/The Wall Street Journal, President Barack Obama has a 15 point advantage among female voters over Mitt Romney for the 2012 presidential election.

The recent poll data [PDF] shows that President Obama leads by six points over Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney among all registered voters. When the responses are broken down according to sex, female voters favor President Obama 54% to 39% for Mitt Romney creating a gender gap heading into the election season.

Responses to the poll were collected July 18 through the 22, prior to the Akin "legitimate rape" controversy. Since the Akin controversy erupted, President Obama has held a press conference stating [VIDEO] "Rape is rape... we should not have politicians, the majority of whom are men, making healthcare decisions for women."

source with link to poll

revelette

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:17 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Oh, I believe it's a wholly cynical attempt on the part of the GOP establishment.

I just think the folks posting here might not be that way.

agree
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:19 am
@revelette,
Those percentages are a bit more comforting; it shows that the majority of women understand the absolute control republicans are trying to get over their bodies.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

snood wrote:

I believe I've gotten all the answer I'm going to from the right-leaners here.

Looking for principle in all the wrong places, I suppose.

I think they may just operate from different principles.

My (and I think your) principle is: let's get the vote that comes the closest to matching the will of the electorate. We're willing to accept a miniscule, statistically insignificant, amount of voter fraud in exchange for getting as many valid voters to the polling place as possible.

Your analysis of our respective viewpoints leaves out one very important part of mine - my disdain for the obvious (even inadvertantly stated on camera by one PA GOP official) egregious intentions their side has to win at any cost. They target those who are least likely to be able to comply with ID laws like inner city people (who just happen to be mostly minorities) who have used public transport all their lives and never owned a car. What does "principle" have anything at all to do with that?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:42 pm
@snood,
I don't think it's that they lack principles, though. I think that they lack empathy.

They're unable to really understand the impact this has on people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:43 pm
@snood,
These guys don't have principles; just do anything to win the election.

Here's the latest switchoroo.

Quote:
Paul Ryan Softens Anti-Abortion Stance as 'Good Step in the Right Direction'
By Shushannah Walshe | ABC OTUS News – 1 hr 28 mins ago

Email
Print
RELATED CONTENT

In Flight Between Roanoke, Va., and Raleigh, N.C. - Although Paul Ryan has taken the position that all abortions, even in the case of rape and incest, should be outlawed, the Wisconsin congressman supports Mitt Romney's softer position now that he shares the GOP presidential ticket because it's a "good step in the right direction," he said today.

Romney believes abortion should be legal in cases of abortion or incest, or when the mother's life is in danger. Ryan's previous position only extended exceptions to protecting the mother's life.

"Look, I'm proud of my record," Ryan said at a brief news conference on his plane. "I'm proud of my record. Mitt Romney is going to be president and the president sets policy. His policy is exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother. I'm comfortable with it because it's a good step in the right direction."

He's now telling us he never considered these issues. What a dork!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Romney's moving toward Ryan's position. No wonder Ryan's ok with things.
snood

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:03 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I don't think it's that they lack principles, though. I think that they lack empathy.

They're unable to really understand the impact this has on people.

We're still missing each other, Drewdad. Are you saying those Ohio and PA and FLA officials doing everything they can do to disenfranchise Democratic demographic voters are good intentioned, but just not empathetic? I say they know exactly what and why they are doing wohat they are doing, and don't give a shyt about anything but getting Obama out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
It only shows they really don't have any principles.

Besides that, nobody really knows where Romney stands on anything, because he's flip-flopped both ways on this issue and many others.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:11 pm
@snood,
As I said above, I think there's a difference between the GOP establishment, and most of the folks posting here.
snood

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:22 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

As I said above, I think there's a difference between the GOP establishment, and most of the folks posting here.

Well... I can't get any of them here to even ACKNOWLEDGE the dirt the GOP is doing. they're all like, "Can you PROVE it?!" "How do you know their intentions?" "I don't see why voter ID is a problem!", etc., etc....

...anything but the obvious truth - that there is a big push to limit Dem voting through these unneeded voter ID laws.