Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 02:52 pm
@sozobe,
Obama received more money from Wall Strret than did MCain. He certainly received a lot more from Unions.

The notion that his campaign was funded by the little people is a myth.

0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 04:12 pm
@snood,
I think the more Fred Karger defends Romney and rails against Obama...the more he looks like GoProud...I guess he is just like GoProud if he is supporting Romney...as a responsible republican he should be ashamed enough to support Obama because that is how bad the repub party is...I do have a few suggestions tho for Fred concerning the study defaming gay parents that came out last week...it was biased...NOM funded it at a cost of $768,000...I think that would end the argument with Bryan Fischer...I dunno...Fred looked like a kiss ass...and I like Fred...but he was seemingly too comfortable with Bryan's anti gay comments as if they were accepted opinions...sure it was a cordial dialogue...but not at Fred's expense...he never threw defaming insults calling christians pedophiles or dangers to families...or poison to society...disappointed in the seeming buddy buddy attitude they had...as one commits crimes against humanity.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 06:01 pm
@sozobe,
I found this Sozobe. http://www.cfinst.org/Press/PReleases/08-11-24/Realty_Check_-_Obama_Small_Donors.aspx

Don't know the veracity of the website, but the data seems consistent.

http://www.cfinst.org/images/email/PresDonors3.gif
McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 06:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If I am splitting hairs, you are picking the nits off it before it is split.

He also states
Quote:
Mitt Romney believes in the rule of law and will fully enforce federal immigration law.

U.S. Military Will Offer Path to Citizenship

So, Mitt acknowledges this in his statement. Not sure where the glaring contradiction is Cycloptichorn.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 06:23 pm
@McGentrix,
He's supporting offering amnesty to people who came here illegally. That's what 'path to citizenship' means. It directly contradicts his statement that he won't support amnesty for anyone who came here illegally.

It's not just me, he's catching hell in the right-wing blogs for this.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:17 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

He's supporting offering amnesty to people who came here illegally. That's what 'path to citizenship' means. It directly contradicts his statement that he won't support amnesty for anyone who came here illegally.

It's not just me, he's catching hell in the right-wing blogs for this.

Cycloptichorn

Definition of Amnesty: Amnesty for illegal immigrants is defined as a governmental pardon for violating policies related to immigration. Immigration amnesty would include the federal government forgiving individuals for using false documentation such as social security numbers, identification cards, and driver’s licenses, in order to gain employment in the U.S. and continue to remain in the country. Amnesty would allow illegal immigrants or undocumented aliens to gain permanent residency in the United States.

A path to citizenship by serving in the military doesn't sound like that at all. I don't think you are using the correct definition of amnesty here. You are barking up the wrong tree on this one. Try another one.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking Romney with Gingrinch?
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 09:53 pm
@McGentrix,
Ya know, McG, I really liked the Dream Act. Though it needed some fine tuning, it really shouldn't have died, at least in my opinion. Nevertheless, I don't appreciate the President finding what he presents as a legal workaround. It's Congress's job to pass laws, not his.

C'mon, doesn't it seem odd to be in an illegal status, without having done anything illegal.

Dang, I do wish e_brown would come back. We had lotsa fun arguing these issues.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:03 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

C'mon, doesn't it seem odd to be in an illegal status, without having done anything illegal.

Not sure what you mean here, please expand on that.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2012 11:40 pm
@McGentrix,
The people originally the subject of The Dream Act were in the country when 16 years of age, or younger. The assumption is they were brought by their parents, rather than having arrived on their own inititive.

Okay, I've known some pretty independent sixteen year olds, but generally, when the parents go the kids are pretty much dragged along. There had to be some kind of cutoff age, and that one sounds reasonable.

Now, as written, one way of establishing eligibility was honorable discharge from the military. Exactly how an illegal (status) alien can enlist without it being fraudulent enlistment isn't quite clear.

The other way of qualifying was to have been graduation from college. Personally, I thought graduation from a two year college was a weak requirement, but that's how it was written. Remembering the schools that popped up after the Vietnam era, I would have been expecting things like "Mr. Jack's Two Year College of Basket Weaving".

As I said, the wording could have stood a bit of refinement, but it was essentially a good idea.
parados

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 07:23 am
@McGentrix,
So 67% of Obama's contributors gave less than $1000. It certainly looks to me like the majority of his contributors were small donors.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 08:52 am
I'm voting for Romney because I would always vote for someone who basically agrees with most of my positions over someone who disagrees with most of my positions and is trying to create an America I don't want.
revelette

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 01:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
fair enough
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 02:50 pm
@Brandon9000,
You always seemed to love Bush. Obama has gone along with a lot of those policies, so I don't really get the bit about "trying to create an America I don't want."

I also don't get the bit about "vote for someone who basically agrees with [me]." Romney has changed his position so many times, I don't think anyone can say for certain what it is that he agrees or disagrees with. From what I can tell, he just agrees with whomever he's speaking to at the moment.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 04:14 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

You always seemed to love Bush. Obama has gone along with a lot of those policies, so I don't really get the bit about "trying to create an America I don't want ."

Yes, Obama did go along with some Bush policies when he actually got to the job and saw the reality, but that's just some. He hardly behaves like a conservative. He does lots and lots of liberal things. He supports gay marriage. With millions and millions of illegal immigrants in America to the point that the country is going bilingual, and more sneaking in all the time, he supports amnesty for many illegals. Your comment is, frankly, stupid. Obama is a liberal and, for the most part, supports liberal polices.

DrewDad wrote:
I also don't get the bit about "vote for someone who basically agrees with [me]." Romney has changed his position so many times, I don't think anyone can say for certain what it is that he agrees or disagrees with. From what I can tell, he just agrees with whomever he's speaking to at the moment.

Your comment about him switching positions is just the sort of thing one says about the opposition. As you yourself pointed out, Obama has in some cases come around to Bush positions. In general, Romney is a conservative, and as irksome as you may find it, I plan to vote for the candidate closer to my own beliefs.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 10:39 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Suck my big black ignore.

He's only funnin', Foofie, to give himself the chance to talk about his big black ignore.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 10:41 pm
@snood,
Quote:
He actually took a definite stand? Missed it.

Maybe that's because you were too busy flashing your big black ignore, Snood.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 10:44 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
I am disappointed about the Guantanamo thing. I think he ran into the wall of how difficult or practical it is.

It's always incredibly difficult for any US prez to not be a war criminal, a terrorist, Frank. It's just in the job description, though granted it largely goes unspoken.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2012 11:31 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
he supports amnesty for many illegals.

Technically, Obama's policy is not amnesty.

Also, Romney has stated that he supports a similar plan (limited to military service, rather than military service or a college degree).

Meanwhile, the Republican party remains anti-woman, anti-science, and pro-getting-the-rich-richer.

Have fun with that.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:26 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
he supports amnesty for many illegals.

Technically, Obama's policy is not amnesty.

Also, Romney has stated that he supports a similar plan (limited to military service, rather than military service or a college degree).

Meanwhile, the Republican party remains anti-woman, anti-science, and pro-getting-the-rich-richer.

Have fun with that.

As intolerable as you may find it, some people don't agree with you and will vote for the Republican candidate.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:56 am
@Brandon9000,
I don't find it intolerable at all.

I just think it's amusing when people aren't honest with themselves about why they're doing it.

Do it because you're a Republican rooting for your team. Or do it because you don't want women to be able to get abortions. Or do it because you want tax breaks for the wealthy. Whatever your true reason is, vote for Romney, but don't do it claiming:

Romney's a conservative! (No, not really. He's a moderate. See his policies in Mass.)
Obama's a liberal! (No, not really. He's a moderate, too.)
Romney will help the economy! (The President has damn little to do with the economy. )
Obama is killing the economy! (See above.)
Romney offers a stark contrast to Obama! (Not from what I can tell. He's afraid to contrast himself with Obama, because Obama already has all of the moderate positions staked out. To contrast himself with Obama is to come off as a right-wing nutcase.)
Romney has executive experience! (What do you call four years of being President?)

You're a Republican voting for a Republican? Fine. Just be honest that you're doing it because you're a partisan, and don't blow smoke up my butt trying to claim it's for some higher principle.