H2O MAN

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 07:22 am
@jcboy,

READ THIS > http://able2know.org/topic/199238-1

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:10 pm
@sozobe,
Can I be any clearer. Since his stated policy is to not allow Iran to obtain nukes, and as far as we know they haven't, his policy hasn't failed.

This of course doesn't mean it won't fail, just that it hasn't yet.

As far as Romney not agreeing with me, or visa versa, so what? I don't have to agree with every one of his positions to vote for him.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I was saying there were no WMD's in the run up to the Iraq war. Funny thing, it turns out that those of us who don't have half a brain were right after all.

I don't want another long term war in the Middle East.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's absolutely hilarious watching you try to twist this around to be a criticism of Obama.

"His policy hasn't failed... <ominous pause> yet!"
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:41 pm
@DrewDad,
I can't decide which I admire more.

finn's omniscient ability to see and know what the dems are Really thinking.

or his humility and concern for his fellow man...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Good for you, but I suspect that if Bush had said the sky was blue in those days you would argued it was orange.

Your favorite Dems were all saying Saddam had WMD's but you knew better. How did your great intelligence come to that conclusion?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're assuming that Bush is capable of working out what colour the sky is. That's assuming quite a lot.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 06:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It was pretty obvious to anyone with two halves of a brain. Politicians, including Democrats, took the cowardly position of going along with the propaganda machine. It takes guts to say 'no' to a "patriotic" war march.

However there were many people pointing out the holes in the propaganda machine, from diplomat Joe Wilson to the Economist magazine.
snood

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:36 pm
@maxdancona,
There was one skinny state senator from Illinois who spoke out strongly against the war in Iraq, pretty early on. Don't quite recall his name.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2012 09:58 pm
@snood,
Yeah, I remember... I wonder whatever happened to him.
revelette

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
In the White House. Obama was against the war in Iraq because it took the focus off the war with AQ who actually attacked and killed over 3000 people in a single day. He campaigned on wanting to focus on Afghanistan. People have this idea that Obama was against wars in principle when that was/is not the case.

In 2008, Obama vowed to kill Osama bin Laden

Quote:
Q Should the United States respect Pakistani sovereignty and not pursue al-Qaida terrorists who maintain bases there, or should we ignore their borders and pursue our enemies, like we did in Cambodia during the Vietnam War?

SEN. OBAMA: Well, Katie, it's a terrific question.

And we have a difficult situation in Pakistan. I believe that part of the reason we have a difficult situation is because we made a bad judgment going into Iraq in the first place when we hadn't finished the job of hunting down bin Laden and crushing al-Qaida.

So what happened was we got distracted, we diverted resources, and ultimately bin Laden escaped, set up base camps in the mountains of Pakistan in the northwest provinces there.

They are now raiding our troops in Afghanistan, destabilizing the situation. They're stronger now than at any time since 2001. And that's why I think it's so important for us to reverse course because that's the central front on terrorism. They are plotting to kill Americans right now. As Secretary Gates, the Defense secretary, said, the war against terrorism began in that region, and that's where it will end.

So part of the reason I think it's so important for us to end the war in Iraq is to be able to get more troops into Afghanistan, put more pressure on the Afghan government to do what it needs to do, eliminate some of the drug trafficking that's funding terrorism.

But I do believe that we have to change our policies with Pakistan. We can't coddle, as we did, a dictator, give him billions of dollars, and then he's making peace treaties with the Taliban and militants. What I have said is we're going encourage democracy in Pakistan, expand our non-military aid to Pakistan so that they have more of a stake in working with us, but insisting that they go after these militants.

And if we have Osama bin Laden in our sights and the Pakistani government is unable or unwilling to take them out, then I think that we have to act, and we will take them out.

We will kill bin Laden. We will crush al-Qaida. That has to be our biggest national security priority.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 12:57 pm
Usatoday/GALLOP HAS A POLL out today saying that the people have decided that Romney was the better debater through the series.
engineer

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
If you look in terms of polls, Romney wins. He gained a lot from the first debate and lost very little from the subsequent two. If the goal from the three debates was to move voters (and that is what I consider the goal), Romney won.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 02:50 pm
@engineer,
I sometimes wonder exactly what these polls are supposed to be showing. If 83% of those polled all believe that on candidate won by 1%, does the poll mean anything at all? How about if 50.5% thinks a candidate got totally trounced?

Now, Romney gained significantly from the first debate - which I missed. I agree that moving voters was the goal; not winning debate points.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:40 pm
Quote:
Republican Mitt Romney has edged ahead of President Obama in the new Washington Post-ABC News national tracking poll, with the challenger winning 50 percent of likely voters for the first time in the campaign.

As Romney hits 50, the president stands at 47 percent, his lowest tally in Post-ABC polling since before the national party conventions. A three-point edge gives Romney his first apparent advantage in the national popular vote, but it is not one that is statistically significant with a conventional level of 95 percent confidence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/10/25/post-abc-tracking-poll-romney-50-percent-obama-47/

OOPS!

According to the A2K braintrust that was not supposed to happen.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
it is not one that is statistically significant

...A2K braintrust...

You might try actually reading your own article before trying to weaponize it.

Oaf.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:53 pm
@DrewDad,
I doubt he understands what that means

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
This can't be possible. The Black vote is gone, most Hispanics are against him as are most women and Jews. He's got some Christians, but the fundamentalists think Mormonism is a cult, and Romney is anathema to the liberal contingent.

I would be thinking my opinion was accounting for the 50%, but I haven't been polled.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 04:16 pm
With early voting, the polling of likely voters are getting a little skewed. For example look at Ohio.

Quote:
Buoyed by early voting in his favor, Barack Obama leads Mitt Romney by five points in the pivotal state of Ohio, according to a new TIME poll.

Counting both Ohioans who say they will head to the polls on November 6, and those who have already cast a ballot, Obama holds a 49% to 44% lead over Romney in a survey taken Monday and Tuesday night.

The poll’s margin of error is plus or minus three percentage points.

The poll makes clear that there are really two races underway in Ohio. On one hand, the two candidates are locked in a dead heat among Ohioans who have not yet voted but who say they intend to, with 45% of respondents supporting the President and 45% preferring his Republican challenger.

But Obama has clearly received a boost from Ohio’s early voting period, which began on Oct. 2 and runs through November 5. Among respondents who say they have already voted, Obama holds a two-to-one lead over Romney, 60% to 30%.

When those two groups are combined, the TIME poll reveals, Obama leads by five points overall in Ohio.

“At least for the early vote, the Obama ground game seems to be working,” says Mark Schulman, president of Abt SRBI, which conducted the poll.

Nearly one third of all Ohioans voted early in 2008.

The survey also suggests Obama is riding a wave of optimism in Ohio, where voters appear to separate their worries about the direction of the nation from how they regard the landscape in the Buckeye State. While 54% of Ohio voters believe the country is on the wrong track (and 41% believe the nation is heading in the right direction), 51% of Ohio voters believe their state is on the right track (while 43% disagree).

The TIME survey shows the gender gap is working in Obama’s favor: the President is winning 56% of the women’s vote in Ohio, while Romney is winning only 37% of women. By comparison, 51% of Ohio men back Romney while 42% of men prefer Obama.

While Romney is winning 49% of white voters, Obama is still attracting the support of 43% of that demographic group, a level well above what polls say he is winning in some other states. Obama is running strongest among voters under 40; Romney fares best among voters 65 and older. Romney is ahead of Obama among Ohio independents, winning 53% to Obama’s 38%.

Ohioans give Romney a four point edge in handling the economy, 50% to 46%, but Obama enjoys a 49% to 44% margin on foreign policy. Respondents sided with Obama, 50% to 44%, on the question of which candidate would better represent the interests of the middle class.

Both campaigns have camped out extensively in Ohio, a bellwether state crucial to the Electoral College map. Ohio has sided with the winner in 27 of the past 29 presidential election cycles.

source