Recycling and Literacy are Threats to America!

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:55 pm
Horowitz is at it again. I can't wait to see how the far right explains this!

The Neo-Fascists Mouthpiece Continues his Crusade
Quote:
Not just usual suspects

Conservative Web site to list 19 Colo. groups seen as left-leaning

By Peggy Lowe, Rocky Mountain News
February 17, 2004

A soon-to-be launched conservative Web site focusing on the nation's "political left" lists 19 Colorado groups, some of them the usual suspects and some more unexpected.

The usual? The ACLU, several gay and lesbian groups, and the Colorado Democratic Party.

The surprises? The Colorado Association for Recycling, the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and a Colorado Springs adult literacy program.

FollowTheNetwork.org offers "a guide to the political left" and is being organized by David Horowitz, an outspoken Los Angeles conservative.

Horowitz has attracted attention in Colorado with his proposed Academic Bill of Rights, which is designed to ensure that conservative university faculty and students aren't discriminated against. Rep. Shawn Mitchell, R-Broomfield, has introduced a bill in the legislature based on those concerns.

As planned, FollowTheNetwork.org will be an Internet database "to make transparent the network of the left, including individuals, organizations, lawmakers and their funding sources," according to an April memo by Horowitz.

Horowitz said he was "flabbergasted" Monday when told of some of the Colorado groups listed on the site. Editors and researchers he hired entered that information and he hadn't seen it, Horowitz said.

Marjie Griek, executive director of the Colorado Association of Recyclers, said her group represents industry and city-based recycling programs and does educational work.

"I think it's a rather sad statement for their organization that they would consider us leftist," she said, then added with a laugh: "Who knows? We just might topple the government if we recycle too much."

Julie Tolleson was hitting to all fields on Horowitz's list. The Denver attorney is involved with the ACLU, the Colorado Legal Initiatives Project (a gay legal group reformed under a new name), the Colorado Stonewall Democrats (a gay Democratic group), and Equality Colorado, a gay and lesbian group now working under Equal Rights Colorado.

"To quote Dan Quayle, 'I wear their scorn as a badge of honor,' " Tolleson said. "Wow, I never thought I'd quote Dan Quayle."

Pikes Peak Community College, listed on the site for its "Adult Right to Read Program," says it doesn't have such a program.

And John O'Connor, national director for the Gill Foundation, which makes Horowitz's list, said his group is nonpartisan.

"The issues we deal with affect everyone, not just people on the left," O'Connor said. "If (Horowitz) thinks there are no gay people on the right who are affected by our issues, he's in for a big surprise."

FollowTheNetwork.org, which is scheduled to launch in a few months, will focus on national security concerns, Horowitz said.

Horowitz got the idea for the database from groups like mediatransparency.org, which is funded by the liberal People for the American Way.

"The idea of this is very simple, and that is, people fly under all kinds of colors, many of them false. I'm just going to put information up about these groups," he said.

"It will be better than mediatransparency," he said. "The left has been doing this for a decade."

FollowTheNetwork.org will include in its database groups working on issues including peace, civil liberties, immigration, anti-Israel and anti-nuclear efforts, Horowitz's memo says. He hopes to add feminist, civil rights, labor, abortion and gun control groups.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,404 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
For thinkers like Horowitz, if a liberal conspiracy doesn't exist, they will be sure to invent one.

The very idea that these folks still whine about all-powerful liberals is ludicrous. The right wing controls the White House, Congress, much of the courts. Yet, whine they do...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:24 pm
Er - is left-leaning seen as a problem in the US? I mean, as more than something one disagrees with?

What is supposed to happen after a conservative website names an organisation? People don't join it? Toeches, pitchforks and mobs at midnight?

I don't get it....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Often funding for that organization is cut if there is a conservative government, as there is now. In the US "leftist" is seen as a synonym of "communist," "ungdly," "anti-american," "true evil," "satanic," "morality corrupting," etc....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:37 pm
Come the revolution, i have a solution for all of those running-dog lackeys of the neo-facist, imperialist structures . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
Er - these much vaunted freedoms of opinion - where are they?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:36 pm
Quote:
Er - these much vaunted freedoms of opinion - where are they?
Deb- the ACLU is on the top of the list of lefist leaning organizations. (Unless they are defending conservative issues)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:51 pm
Maybe the ACLU is at the top the leftist list for Horowitz and his fellow travelers (like O'Reilly), but I don't consider them leftist. In fact, I belong--the allegiance is strictly to freedom of expression. To some righties, of course, this smacks of treason, but former Cong. Bob Barr, one of the top Clinton haters of the '90s, has actually allied himself with the ACLU re Bush's over-zealous Fatherland Security actions...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:02 pm
dlowan wrote:
Er - is left-leaning seen as a problem in the US? I mean, as more than something one disagrees with?

What is supposed to happen after a conservative website names an organisation? People don't join it? Toeches, pitchforks and mobs at midnight?

I don't get it....

Well, we don't generally call each other communists any more -- at least not on TV...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:05 pm
wowsa - how ridiculous!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:45 am
That is funny, PD!!!

Communism was never the bugbear here that it was in the US - I know lots of Communists - well, they disbanded for a while - but you know what I mean. The conservatives tried to scare people - and did, but lots of union leaders and such wee proud communists. They split with Stalin and all...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:13 am
Wasn't there a vote some time back to determine whether or not to outlaw communism in Oz, and the people said "no"?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:15 am
hobitbob wrote:
Often funding for that organization is cut if there is a conservative government, as there is now. In the US "leftist" is seen as a synonym of "communist," "ungdly," "anti-american," "true evil," "satanic," "morality corrupting," etc....

That's how I view the right wing.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:18 am
patiodog wrote:
Wasn't there a vote some time back to determine whether or not to outlaw communism in Oz, and the people said "no"?

That was before my time, but I believe you are correct.

I see the American right as the biggest threat to freedom on the face of the earth. I detest them so very much.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 08:30 am
dlowan wrote:

I don't get it....

Well, do you "get" liberal watchdog groups that "expose" the right-leaning funding or agenda of this or that group? Same thing. No more or less nefarious. What amazes me is that liberals are getting their panties in a wad at the notion that someone might actually pay attention to what liberals are doing.

When liberals keep an eye on conservatives, it's seen as something good. When conservatives keep an eye on liberals, it's seen as something bad. The way I see it, keeping an eye on the other guy may be good or bad, but it is one or the other at all times, not either/or depending on who is watching and who is being watched.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:09 am
Right now, keeping an eye on what the conservatives are doing is pretty easy: Listen to Bush, watch Fox News, listen to Rush Limbaugh, read about Tom DeLay. I could go on.

Whereas the conservative watchdogs seem to have to dig deeper, checking up on recycling programs in Colorado, for instance. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, I guess...
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Right now, keeping an eye on what the conservatives are doing is pretty easy: Listen to Bush, watch Fox News, listen to Rush Limbaugh, read about Tom DeLay. I could go on.

Whereas the conservative watchdogs seem to have to dig deeper, checking up on recycling programs in Colorado, for instance. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, I guess...

Now, if a liberal were involved, you'd take him at his word that it was a screw up by the contracted editors and nothing he'd chosen personally. (But then, telling you that you have a different set of rules for liberals than for conservatives is kind of like telling you that you're breathing. :wink: )
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:13 am
The ACLU is going to bat for Rush Limbaugh -- defending the privacy of his medical records. Partly political, I am sure, but -- oh, the irony...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:21 am
The ACLU fights for those whose rights are threatened by the gov't. They've always done that, including helping the likes of Nazis who want to march and Rush Limbaugh. Yet blowhards like O'Reilly persist in calling the ACLU the most dangerous organization in America.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 11:58 am
patiodog wrote:
The ACLU is going to bat for Rush Limbaugh -- defending the privacy of his medical records. Partly political, I am sure, but -- oh, the irony...

Hey, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, right? :wink:

Personally, I think Rush should be treated exactly the same as would anyone else caught in similar circumstances.
0 Replies