Boy's clothing about 1900 - a sign for ...?

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:08 pm
When you look at the typical dress of a boy from Berlin

http://www.berlin-kindheitundjugend.de/Ausstellungen/Schritte_in_die_____Welt_____/um_1900/k-jung.gif

and that of one living in Germany's antipode at about 1900

http://www.nla.gov.au/exhibitions/fed-exhibition/slices/fashions/images/childsplay1.gif

you'll notice that short legged sailor suits [in German: "kieler knabenanzug"] were popular as well in Australia as in Germany.

I understand that the German fashion went along with the rise of the German navy and Emperor Williams support for it.

In Australia, however,
"At the end of the nineteenth century there was a growing movement to liberate infants and young children from stays and the excessive layers of clothing in which they were usually enclosed." (source: online exhibition: Federal Fashion )

this was seen different.

I'm wondering, if this just was "fashion trend" or if really some 'deeper' intension has to be seen behind this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,258 • Replies: 1
No top replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:58 am
I guess, this was the general trend in urban middle-class kids' fashion throughout the world. The boy from Berlin strongly resembles a picture of my own great-grandfather Otto Steisslinger that was taken in Moscow (he lived all his life in Russia and has never been to Germany) on his 5th birthday on 04.20.1894: not only he looked like the kid on the picture, he was dressed in absolutely similar way.
0 Replies