Please help me understand this sentence. What does" draw"mean here? and what does the word"two"mean?

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 01:11 am
"Every ladies night included a draw for a free limousine ride
with champagne and dinner for two at another restaurant location on
the opposite side of the city. My company had the contract to provide the
service."

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 02:45 am
"To draw" can mean to pull something out of something else. In this case, it refers to patrons gettting a ticket with a number on it, and in the course of the evening's entertainment, one ticket from a set matching those tickets already given out will be drawn (pulled) from a container. The person who holds the ticket with the matching number wins the prize. This is more than likely from a source other than the United States, because Americans would more likely say "a drawing" rather than "a draw."

"Two" means that the prize is to provide champagne and dinner for two people. The usual assumption would be that the winner would invite a guest to join him or her for dinner.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 05:08 am
@Glenchesnut,
A contest awarding a prize where there's a drawing (contest administrators pick their number from a container with many numbered tickets) for the limo ride, etc.

To people win the drawing's prize so that it costs them no money (except for the tip).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 06:44 am
@Glenchesnut,

a lottery, a sweepstake

two people (together)
0 Replies