Why are people hopeful for the cure for AIDS?

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 07:31 pm
I mean even if you find a cure, the HIV will mutate, and bypass the defenses set up by the drugs. It is an unfavorable war where the virus will find a way to keep ahead of research.

Some people are unlucky and get AIDS by their cheating partners, and others by sticking their privates everywhere for gratuitous pleasure, and get what's coming for them. Boo hoo, this is life, and life is a bitch, and then you succumb to death.
There will more fresh bodies to replace the dead ones.

If I had AIDS, I would accept it, and after my immune system is disintegrated by the virus, and it comes to constant torture until I died an ugly death, I'd definitely put myself out of the misery as quickly as possible, rather than take some pills to control AIDS and live maybe 10 or 15 more years in pain.

And ending your life like that is not necessarily being a quitter or a loser, it's just escaping constant pain, and side effects of the drugs, and doing my loved ones a favor.
I wouldn't want to burden people having to care for me, loved ones feeling helpless watching me suffer.

The only function for the research to find a cure for AIDS is simply accruing medical knowledge, and maybe something interesting for science to discover.

Even if they find the cure, only the wealthy will be able to afford it.

L1n1o

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:08 pm
@Val Killmore,
Humanity and hope goes hand in hand.
I see that you've lost hope in humanity, seeing life and death as mere assets and liabilities. Sad

If an AIDS victim wants to hope for a cure, and that is the reason why they are finding a reason to live, then there is no point in spewing philosophy with them. Well I suggest you don't do it cause it will dishearten them and may cause to commit something reckless such as suicide.

Did you know that people diagnosed with AIDS have a very high suicide rate?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:09 pm
@Val Killmore,
You live in your imagination.

I have had friends die, and their friends, hard stories as emergency services wouldn't act.

I've also had friends live.

VK, you are living in your mind. Get out of your 'house' and do some research.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Not really, I was hanging out with a friend after work, and he asked me if he wanted to come visit a friend in the hospital.

To my surprise, the friend was in her last stage from HIV to full blown AIDS.
I talked to her, and she said the only reason to find a sense of living and continuing was because she hopes there will be a cure, and her life will be normal again.

I mean what a bitter terrible disappointing sense of hope.

I didn't want to crush her heart, so I just listened, and kept talking to a minimum.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:18 pm
@Val Killmore,
I know a guy who lost his brother to AIDS. He defended his brother with every breath of his body. If that is to subtle - he loved his brother dearly.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:20 pm
@L1n1o,
Well in the grand scheme of things, your life and my life will mean nothing more than dust, to which everyone must return to.

Do you think in a million years people will remember Ghandi, MLK, Rosa Parks, Einstein?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 08:35 pm
@Val Killmore,
Oh look, obfuscating drama queen.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:17 pm
@Val Killmore,
My latest ambition is to return to sawdust. I like the smell.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Well I'm a pessimistic cynic, deal with it, oh aged wise one.
Val Killmore

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:24 pm
@JLNobody,
My latest ambition is to be part of the particles in a star forming nebula, after our sun dies.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:27 pm
@Val Killmore,
You rather seam to me like a pissing dog marking a tree to establish your space, while doing so at expense of nonsense and bravata...I personally have no clue on how I would react if I contracted AIDS...I certainly know that would not be in the least like you...thank you for that !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:29 pm
@JLNobody,
...sawdust I like it two...rings true to me...lovely natural smell !
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 09:30 pm
@Val Killmore,
...you are conscious that you just did fall for a very common very vulgar cliché on pseudo profoundness...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 11:01 pm
@Val Killmore,
cynic?

try living with it, child.
vikorr

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 11:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm reminded of people who say "I would never do this, or never do that...not even if <insert an extreme experience they've never experienced>"

It has always been my observation that people don't 'know' until they experience.

Until then, we try to rationalise. Not a bad way to attempt to deal with uncertainty (as it does have some success), but also prone to a decent percentage of 'errors' through ignorance.
Val Killmore

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 01:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I wouldn't, like I said in my OP, I'd just take my useless life from existence....

What can you accomplish with a crippling body? To live as a witness to some disease, and meet a slow painful death, I don't think so.

People don't change, making the same mistake one after another without a care in the world...

Do you think, even with a strict laws and harsh law enforcement agencies such as the FBI and CSI in America, that drug lords are gone, that gangsters are eradicated?

Disease and crime can never be fully cleansed, it is the way of life, there is no point in hoping that it will be cleansed, cause it won't.

Controlling crime and disease, a more possible hope...
Val Killmore

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 01:36 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
'errors' through ignorance

One who lives on hope will surely go insane, if they don't ground it in reality.

Tell me what is more probabilistic, that the patient will be entirely cured of AIDS in his/her life time, or the person will die of AIDS and won't live to full potential.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 01:54 pm
@vikorr,
I'll tell you this, that sentence cracked me up a bit.
Quote:
He defended his brother with every breath of his body

I am imagining him in a fox hole, shooting at human immunodeficiency virus trying to invade the trenches.
"Got a line of enemy snipers taking out all the T-4's, I need Air support "
"Roger, Aircraft will be out in thirty seconds, repeat 3-0-seconds"
Val Killmore

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 02:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
...you are conscious that you just did fall for a very common very vulgar cliché on pseudo profoundness...

Sorry, next time you read my bit please read it as if I was replying the person with thick sarcasm.

Come on, I don't hope for such an almost impossible a thing to happen ( if you haven't got the theme of the post yet)....
L1n1o

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2012 03:17 pm
@Val Killmore,
Man your idea of life depresses my heart. You must have had a scarring childhood (I'm not joking around at that matter either).

You should take life minute by minute rather than take the "grand scheme of things" and stress out about the future.
Every day life may not be good, but you should start finding some good in everyday life.
AIDS or other diseases are just defeats that one may face in life, but the point that I'm trying to make is to be not defeated, or you'll be disappointed by the things that you didn't do, sitting around brooding and being glum, or killing yourself.

Of all the difficult discipline, endurance is the hardest, so don't look down on people with faulty reasoned hope, but give them credit for enduring and fighting on.

And there is nothing wrong with setting your hopes very high, higher than the mountains, even if it is crushed, because then you know that you gave it all your best.

You should take advise from the great artist Michelangelo: "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it but that it is too low and we reach it"