Why are people hopeful for the cure for AIDS?

roger

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:21 pm
@Val Killmore,
Man is different from animals because "Man is the rationalizing animal". The original, and mistaken statement used the word 'rational". 'Rationalizing' is the correct word choice.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:23 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Man is different from animals because "Man is the rationalizing animal". The original, and mistaken statement used the word 'rational". 'Rationalizing' is the correct word choice.

perzackly
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:23 pm
@Val Killmore,
one word: Alcohol
parados

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:27 pm
@Ceili,
I think the word is "hormones".

Just try to get teenagers, who think they will never die, to fasten their seatbelts. Now tell them sex will kill them and watch them yawn at the 'scary adult.'
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:47 pm
Ah, then there is no discernible hope anytime soon.

Imagine what it feels like when doctors give the report in conveying that HIV has weakened the immune system so much so that they have AIDS.

I am guessing it is more like, "Sir, here is your death certificate!"
parados

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:50 pm
@Val Killmore,
Wow.... do you bother to live in the real world?

1.Your way has no hope but that doesn't mean there is no hope anytime soon. There was a recent story about how the use of antiviral drugs reduces transmission of the virus.
2. The use of antiviral drugs has pretty much eliminated your imaginations.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:51 pm
@Val Killmore,
Your last name fits you well: "Killmore." How apropos.
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 01:55 pm
@parados,
I aware of such antiviral drug research, but those are only beneficial who just freshly contracted HIV, and where the the count rate of white blood cells are relatively high.
This will not help people with full blown AIDS anytime soon.
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What's next, making fun of my first name, Valentine?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:05 pm
@Val Killmore,
The biggest recent development in antivirals is prevention of transmission, rather than treatment.

Better to avoid getting HIV, than to need to treat. The stats on new occurrences in 1st world countries are quite encouraging. Not where they should be, but heading that way.

No need to be frightened if reasonable precautions are taken.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:16 pm
@Val Killmore,
Kinda of oxymoron of a name; valentine (love) and kill more.
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 02:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My parents thought they were clever when naming me.
But middle school wasn't kind to my first name, and some kids went home crying, so let's just leave it at that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 03:02 pm
@Val Killmore,
Your name is not the worst. I remember many years ago when Chinese parents gave their son's name, "Zeppelin." Can you imagine what kind of teasing and razzing this kid got in grade school?

Do you fly from your hot air?

Sorry if you were offended. My apologies.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 03:06 pm
@parados,
Yep, hormones is the big one. However, beer goggles makes everyone more attractive.. lol
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:11 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:
Say if the strategy I said is implemented, then it is up to the people to decide. If their partner has AIDS and they still want to commit to it, then that is their problem. Although I doubt individuals will commit if they know their partner has it.
I know one woman who many years ago committed to a guy with HIV. She doesn't have it.

Quote:
All I'm saying is people have a right to know if their partner have AIDS or not.
It already is a right. If you give someone AIDS, knowing that you have AIDS, and not telling your partner, and he/she contracts it - you can get charged.
Quote:
Cause I see from these documentaries in Africa, newly weds getting AIDS because their husband went to so and so whore house, and brought AIDS to home. That is just totally messed up.

And I'm sure blood tests are cheap.
Probably you should find out what you are talking about first. You need 9 months to a year of blood tests to determine whether or not you have picked up HIV. And you're taking a total guess at the cost and using that to support your reasoning.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:16 pm
@vikorr,
To piggy-back on your response, many people in Africa contract AIDS from the result of rape.
Ceili

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 04:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
To piggy back on that...
In many African cultures, if the husband dies, his brother must then take on the responsibility of the husband's wife and family. If the husband died of Aids, chances are the wife was infected and will likely infect the 'new' husbands family. It's a vicious cycle.
Add that to Jacob Zuma shower comment, and you'll see this is more about the lack of education on how this disease is transmitted.
http://loveworldnewsagencyblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/stain_remover.gif

He is routinely drawn with the shower head..
http://www.comicsreporter.com/images/uploads/mailandguardiancartoon_thumb.jpg
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 06:01 pm
Africa is totally messed up.

BTW Vikor, I am aware that HIV takes a few months to know if a person has it. AIDS on the other hand, not so much, it can be known quickly. People are unaware they have HIV until it gets bad enough to be called AIDS.

My offer at a solution is a utopian solution, and ya, I get it, it'll never work.
JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2012 07:00 pm
@Val Killmore,
Your idea of utopia and mine are poles apart.

Government controlling what you do with your body without a certificate? No thanks. I'd rather put my faith in my perspective partner than a bureaucratically run program rife with errors.
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 04:56 pm
@Val Killmore,
You’re an imbecile!

I tested HIV positive and have been living with it for 15 years now. You think those living with HIV wouldn’t want to find a cure? Try taking 10 different medications everyday just to stay alive then come back and tell us why we need a cure.