"A Few Years Ago This Guy Would Have Been Getting Us Coffee"

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 08:50 am
@revelette,
I think both of the Clintons have been remarkably strong in their support of the Obama administration. There is no argument about the job Hillary has done at Secretary of State and Bill has worked hard mending fences between what could have been a badly fractured winning Party.
Some people (there's a new book out about Obama's Cabinet) have tried to find anything to talk about which doesn't reflect lockstep within the Democratic Party. (The book's criticism is that the Cabinet's relationship with Obama hasn't been fractious enough.) meh.

Democrats, even during the times when we (I am a Democrat) have controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency, have never been a monolithic organization. We have had monolithic factions or nearly so. The closest we ever came was the Dixiecrats opposition to Civil Rights and the Voting Rights Bills. You may have noticed that, after LBJ pushed both of those bills through into law, all the Dixiecrats became rock-ribbed Republicans. Good Riddance.

Barry Goldwater used to say the Eleventh Commandment was "Never speak ill of any Republican."
You can't BE a Democrat unless you disagree with between 1/4 and a 1/3 of what we do. That's why I think it's silly when people ask "How can you support Obama if he continues this drone program or continues to deport illegal aliens at a high rate?" I ask them "What am I supposed to do? Sit on my hands and lets those bastards in the GOP take power??"

Joe(Let's work on making the country better, step one, get and hold on to power.)Nation
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:24 am
@Joe Nation,
Good response Joe. I am finding myself agreeing with you a lot lately. I've learned to read all the posts before replying and your's often are what I intended.

The conclusion I've come to is that most Democrats are sincerely interested in making things better, and sometimes disagree on how to do that. Most Republicans are only interested in gaining power, so it's better if they don't disagree with each other, or at least appear that way.

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:30 am
@IRFRANK,
IFrank. I hate it when someone says in two sentences what it took me three paragraphs to say.

Very Happy
Joe(and then.....he went on....)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:34 am
Hey, Joe, while you're up . . . cream and sugar, please . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:36 am
when i'm trying to decide which scumbag politician to vote for, the last thing i want is a recommendation from another scumbag politician

Trump is certainly a scumbag of sorts, but to date he's yet to add the politician type to his resume
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:45 am

The purpose of genuine conservative Republicans
in gaining power is to constrict, strangle & weaken, the power of government,
thereby aggrandizing Individual FREEDDOM !

David
engineer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 12:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

thereby aggrandizing Individual FREEDDOM !

Until the government at last completely fails yielding the utimate freedom - anarchy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 12:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

thereby Individual FREEDDOM

the evidence is that you're looking at the wrong party for a decrease in the size of government and government spending

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/past_spending
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:04 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
Trump is certainly a scumbag of sorts, but to date he's yet to add the politician type to his resume

Good grief, the man ran in the republican primary for president.
revelette

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:07 pm
@Joe Nation,
Just an impression I have had, could be a wrong one. I agree about Hillary though, she seems to have been a good Secretary.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
anarchist
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:28 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
anarchist
Yea, pretty close, but not 1OO%;
government is good for coining money and for co-ordinating wars.

David
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:29 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Good response Joe. I am finding myself agreeing with you a lot lately. I've learned to read all the posts before replying and your's often are what I intended.

The conclusion I've come to is that most Democrats are sincerely interested in making things better, and sometimes disagree on how to do that. Most Republicans are only interested in gaining power, so it's better if they don't disagree with each other, or at least appear that way.

It would be more accurate to say that most Democrats are interested in "making things better" through the action and intervention of government, while most Republicans place more value on individuual freedom and initiative and less interference by government. (Unhappily "Progressives" usually fail to account for the adverse side effects that result from their organized interference.)

There are many options for more government intervention and interference in our lives and many diverse ways to use government to pick winners and payoff your constiturents, while there are far fewer options for making government do less.

Freedom is better.
parados

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
while there are far fewer options for making government do less.

The interesting thing is that the GOP has managed to find many ways to pick winners and pay off constituencies while claiming they are not doing that.

Quote:
Freedom is better.
And no one is quite as free as the King. As long as you are the one benefiting, it makes it seem like everyone is free. (As long as you are being willfully blind.)
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 01:36 pm
@georgeob1,
You are seriously deluded, O'George, if you really believe that the Republicans are about less government. They're just about different government inference (for example, in birth control, abortion, personal sexual behavior, educational standards--the list is very long), and using taxation to benefit the most wealthy Americans.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:49 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Quote:
while there are far fewer options for making government do less.
The interesting thing is that the GOP has managed to find many ways to pick winners and pay off constituencies
while claiming they are not doing that.

Quote:
Freedom is better.
And no one is quite as free as the King.
As long as you are the one benefiting, it makes it seem like everyone is free. (As long as you are being willfully blind.)
The concept is to curtail, degrade, strangle and reduce the jurisdiction of government.
THEN the King is less free to exercise political power over the citizens.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You are seriously deluded, O'George, if you really believe that the Republicans are about less government. They're just about different government inference (for example, in birth control, abortion, personal sexual behavior, educational standards--the list is very long), and using taxation to benefit the most wealthy Americans.
I usually vote Republican.
I just want weak & feeble jurisdiction of government
(rather as it was in the 18OOs) financed by sales taxes ( & importation tarriffs)
at the same rate for everyone.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 04:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The concept is to curtail, degrade, strangle and reduce the jurisdiction of government.
THEN the King is less free to exercise political power over the citizens.

David

Except that isn't what the GOP practices. It only wants to reduce the government that affects it while increasing government over the rest of the people.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 05:26 pm
@parados,
With something like avoiding that sort of thing in mind,
I try to promote Barry Goldwater types of GOP candidates.

David
djjd62

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 07:20 pm
@revelette,
playing at politician is not exactly the same thing, he's a showman nothing more

by the way, the guy that plays house on tv ain't a doctor