Help solve the case - Missing Irish Villagers.

Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 01:51 pm
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/59703000/jpg/_59703585_castleward1.jpg
Historians are trying to find out what happened to residents of a lost County Down village who set sail from Strangford 160 years ago.They were from Audley's Town and lived in the shadow of the stately home of Castleward. Up until the middle of the 19th century, about 250 people lived in Audley's Town. The 25 families were tenants on the Castleward estate.

The villagers were put on a boat to America and one theory is, is that once evicted, their homes were torn down because their settlement was ruining the view of the then 'lord and lady' of the manor.

The Rose had passengers like the Hinds, Smyths and O'Connors, but there is no record of them or the boat arriving in the US.

It could have sailed elsewhere, but was it ever destined for the US?

Was it lost at sea, or more sinisterly, was the human cargo thrown overboard when the vessel left the lough?

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17737197

Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:00 pm
http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.ca/2008/06/eighth-viscount-bangor.html

Looks like the last one didn't die in 1899...
Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:06 pm
@Mame,
It's the villagers, not the oppressors, people are looking for.
Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:51 pm
@Ceili,
I realize that but your article mentions the last of the line died in 1899 when it appears they're still alive.
Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:59 pm
@Mame,
Who is still alive? The villagers haven't been seen since they got on the boat. Where are their descendants? Did they make it to the americas or were they killed beforehand.. That's the question.
Your article doesn't mention these people, only the aristocrat assholes that put them on the boat.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:22 pm
If the boat/ship is missing too, then it could have been lost at sea.

Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:26 pm
@Foofie,
Yes, Foofie it could, as the article said.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:36 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Was it lost at sea, or more sinisterly, was the human cargo thrown overboard when the vessel left the lough?

if we put any weight on option 2, where did the ship go?

seems like an effort to get some attention through a tabloid approach. I expect better of the BBC
Ceili

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 07:44 pm
@ehBeth,
There is some question as to the real name. It was reportedly called the Rose, but that's not written in stone either.
I think it's an interesting mystery. The ship might not have gone to the states, it could have ended up in the Caribbean or Australia or even Canada. That's why they are looking for any descendants.
It wasn't unusual for this type of thing to happen, but normally someone spilled the beans later..
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 12:25 am
@Ceili,
I agree with ehBeth, this is not up to BBC standards. If the ship was indeed named the Rose (or anything even remotely similar) it was no doubt insured by Lloyds of London for any transatlantic voyage. There should be records in Lloyd's archives as to where the vessel ended up.

Incidentally, it was not uncommon for unsuspecting Irish immigrants to end up in Mexico or elsewhere in Central or South America when they thought they were getting a ride to the USA. Unscrupulous ships' captains would tell 'em, "Oh, yes, we'll take you to America for quite a few bob less than the competition." And, technically,they kept their word -- the immigrants wound up someplace on the American continent, just not where they thought they were going. During the Potato Famine, they were happy toget to the Yucatan Peninsula in preference to starving back home.
Ceili

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 10:24 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Jesus, doesn't anyone read? Seriously, the BBC was reporting what local historians asked them to do. So the BBC can't help find the descendants? It's been a mystery for almost two centuries. All they are asking is if there is a trace of the villagers left and this is somehow beneath the Beeb.
Welcome to a2k, the only place where they can dissect a tomato a million ways and still not get to the heart of the matter.
**** it. Let's discuss incest or start another thread about American politics and over analyze something completely stupid, and do it to death.
I'm done.
Discussion closed.
I'm bored with this site.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:47 pm
If there is anyone that claims to have been related to the lost villagers then DNA testing of that/those people could then be compared to any "matching" DNA elsewhere. One day, I would guess, DNA testing will be more standard, and we will know who we are related to. Right now it will just remain a mystery, I would think.
0 Replies

sholmes

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2015 10:20 pm
@Mame,
The last of persons LEFT BEHIND died in 1899-the 200+ on the boat were never heard of!
The ship, the Rose, was owned by Scottish shipping firm in Aberdeen and did not sink but continued its runs to pick up guano in Peru. Its scheduled runs were always through the Caribbean to South America.
0 Replies