Atheist Discussion

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 11:41 am
It is ironic to me that Arthur C. Clarke is credited with saying " Sometimes I think we are alone, and sometimes I think we are not. In either case, the ideas is quite staggering."

Strangely ironic, too, is the fact that my parents did not brain wash me about Christianity, nor did the individuals in the Baptist church. I think it was the biased interpretation of the Bible that did so. Even as a child I questioned, but did not open my mouth because I knew it would resolve nothing.

I now realize that "church" is just an extension of one's social life, and that is the biggest revelation of all.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:57 pm
I have always wondered whether church was just a way to fit in, I realize that I'm not the only one.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:58 pm
It's ironic how I meant this thread as a joke, but it has really taken off!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 04:59 pm
There's been a trend in which people talk to each other through thread titles...
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
So, whatever happened to Mithras anyway? (kidding, kidding).

good question.

mithras
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:16 pm
Hmmm...I imagined a discussion on atheism would be more than just a discussion about other religions.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:27 pm
Bravo McG, I was thinking the same thing.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:36 pm
Does it really matter what the title is? Do you want me to change it to Religious Discussion?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:37 pm
Ah, the digs start.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
Individual wrote:
Does it really matter what the title is? Do you want me to change it to Religious Discussion?

That's not the point. The point is that it's part of a silly (IMO) tit-for-tat game in which the threads aren't really created to discuss anything but rather to thumb noses at the other side.

Instead of communicating with each other the trend is to seperate and communicate about each other.

But as I said in my first post, I give up. I'm not gonna sweat it.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
That's because I didn't want any potential hostility between religious folk and non-religious, it's very seclusive and you don't get the other side's point of view, but I don't think that you really need the other side's view for this kind of discussion.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 05:42 pm
It is, Craven? I didn't know that.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:09 pm
Whenever I see a theist, I think to myself there but "for the grace of God" go I ! :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:23 pm
truth
Awe, Dys. What a tease you are.

Oh, does anyone disagree with me that Phoenix has the most balanced, sane, reasonable, and humane mind around?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:13 pm
For a "real" atheist discussion (McGentrix couldn't take it):

An actual atheist discussion
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:51 pm
I did take this topic as play, a response to other topics.

I don't care, except in the general sense of caring, what others think on the subject so very at hand and try not to asperse.

I attend for interest (mostly past in my case, but considerations of these sorts are part of the construct of who I am). I am learning a lot of detailed history and argument.

Despite what who I remember as Twyvel said to me, that if I am here at all on this forum, I am questioning my point of view, this is one case in which who and where I am are quite settled.

Part of me is amused with the idea of comfy religious (or not) corners for those of like minds - it happens fairly naturally on some threads. But most of us here like a little tweaking (especially to others) if only it isn't entirely insulting.

Some like entirely insulting, but that isn't the standard here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:16 am
I personally did not come into the atheist threads to give anybody a tweak. I have done it on other threads, but here I just want to see what the other atheists are up to.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:38 am
Hi folks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 06:33 pm
Agnostic on line! Agnostic! Agnostic!

Oh, hi, Frank.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 07:38 pm
Hey Frank,
When you say that you do not have enough non-ambiguous evidence to make a guess one way or another concerning the existance of gods, does that also include specific gods such as Bible God??
0 Replies