Atheist Discussion

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:22 am
Setanta wrote:
An atheist is just what the word states--without god. People who band together to promote "atheism," who proselytize for "atheism," those who have an agenda for "atheism" do in fact have gods, and faith--"rationality" is their god, and their faith is in science. It is appalling to me the extent to which the "professional atheists" i have met or read of resort to science as if it were a body of belief, which is better founded than any other body of belief--when in fact, science is knowledge, and the methods of attaining to knowledge.

To my mind, such people are atheist to exactly that same extent to which Christian Scientists are scientists.

Setanta...will you discuss with me the implication of an atheist asserting: There are no gods?

And will you discuss why you think that an atheist who...when talking about the unknown...says: There are no gods...

...is appreciably different (as far as guessing or believing is concerned) from a theist who...when talking about the unknown...says: There is a God?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:26 am
sparky wrote:
Just to be a wee bit technical about it. Atheism is not a belief system. It is an absence of a belief. The 'belief' is what has become status quo, hence the term 'non-believer'.

Just to be a wee bit more technical, Sparky, when atheism is expressed in a guess about the unknown...such as "There are no gods"...then it is a belief....just as certainly it is a belief when a theist asserts a guess about the unknown like "There is a God."

Quote:
As you may have noticed, those who choose to not believe in the existence of gods do not generally gather to worship their lack of a belief.

I agree...the generally do not gather to worship their lack of a belief IN GOD OR GODS...but they certainly have a belief. They "believe" there are no gods...and it really is not very important whether they gather to honor that belief or not.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:38 am
Is not believing there is a god, the same thing as believing there is not a god? I believe not.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:36 am
mesquite wrote:
Is not believing there is a god, the same thing as believing there is not a god? I believe not.

They are not even close.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:17 pm
Hello Frank. Good to see ya.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Hello Frank. Good to see ya.

Hey, Bill.

You been keepin' yer head down?

You guys are sure getting pasted this year!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:17 pm
Nah... I bugged out. I'm kicking it in Wisconsin till the sh!t blows over. The second one knocked out my power and I neither know nor care if it's been restored yet. I scored a ticket to see the Pack up end the Bears tomorrow Drunk ... which, of course, over-shadows all the little stuff.

Also, I just got knocked out of the Million Dollar Guaranteed Tourney on PP... finishing 1687th out of 1818! Shocked Laughing Embarrassed
(maybe that's not my game after all Confused )

All well by you?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:21 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Nah... I bugged out. I'm kicking it in Wisconsin till the sh!t blows over. The second one knocked out my power and I neither know nor care if it's been restored yet. I scored a ticket to see the Pack up end the Bears tomorrow Drunk ... which, of course, over-shadows all the little stuff.

Also, I just got knocked out of the Million Dollar Guaranteed Tourney on PP... finishing 1687th out of 1818! Shocked Laughing Embarrassed
(maybe that's not my game after all Confused )

All well by you?

Been gettin' my ass kicked on PP. More than my fair share of bad beats. But my golf is okay...and life is wonderful.

Hope the Pack does the job tomorrow. I've got 'em in one of my parlays.
0 Replies

john-nyc

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:25 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

Proof

A) Who asked for proof?

B) I asked for unambiguous evidence upon which to base a GUESS of "there are no gods."

C) What is your evidence for the pro-active statement that there are no gods?

If you have none...you are offering a belief...a guess.

And if you are guessing or believing there are no gods..it is a belief system

But...it has been my experience that theists will never acknowldge that they are doing nothing more than guessing about the unknown when they demand "There is a God!"...and atheists will never acknowledge that they are doing nothing more than guessing about the unknown when they demand "There are no gods."

Believers are like that.

A) You are.

B) The distinction of proof from unambiguous evidence is a distinction without a difference.

C) Refer to my previous post re proving the negative.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 01:32 am
Individual et al.

The specific reason for atheism rests on the concept that on balance theism is debilitating and/or pernicious (a la Marx ..."opium of the people"). Dawkins view that "religion is a cognitive virus" seems close to the mark. However unlike Dawkins I would not equate "theism" with "spirituality" which allows me to seek "non-deistic transcendent principles" to deal with "reality". Carpra, for example uses "deep ecology" as one such set of principles.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 05:03 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Setanta...will you discuss with me the implication of an atheist asserting: There are no gods?

No, because we've been down that road before. You're simply trying to construct a contention that atheists and theists are equivalent but polar opposite believers. I do not believe that there are no gods. I don't believe that any description of god ever offered to my consideration was plausible. In some case, quite apart from belief, one knows that statements about gods, or from religious texts are complete falsehoods. The contention, for example, that god made the earth stand still while Joshua fought a battle--a complete and outrageous ignorance of the consequences of the application of the laws of thermodynamics. Science is not my god, and in fact, often bores me. But the scientific method is preferrable to a superstitious guessing game.

I am only an atheist to the extent that i am so described by others. This is no belief set, and is not reliant upon a set of assumptions. It is the rejection of someone else's set of assumptions, which do not convince me.

Quote:
And will you discuss why you think that an atheist who...when talking about the unknown...says: There are no gods...

...is appreciably different (as far as guessing or believing is concerned) from a theist who...when talking about the unknown...says: There is a God?

Sometimes, casually, and simply for the sport of getting someone's ire up, i've said there are no gods or goddesses. In fact, in deference to an intelligent and sweet young lady who worked in a coffee shop after graduating university, while awaiting a better opportunity--i developed the habit of saying: "There are no gods or goddesses, except for the Coffee Goddess, and she's in caffeine, not salvation."

But, once again, you are attempting to get those who are branded atheist to construct for you your thesis that agnosticism is an intellectually superior point of view. The "professional atheist" who busily runs about, "fact-checking" and denying scriptures, digging out "sins" of the religionist, is simply someone who has replaced one belief set with another. Your point is valid with such people as that. In serious discussion, my position is simply that there is no good reason to believe what the theist has to offer, i have enough in life to deal with in matters which are of a proximate concern and for which not all aspects are known to waste my time in consideration of fanciful tales of supernatural beings. Supernatural claims are extraordinary claims, and therefore the burden of proof lies with those making the claim. Inasmuch as the closest approach to an intellectual basis for theism is in the origin of the universe--running something like, the existence of the universe implies a god, to which the reply is that who created god? and when told god is internal, you simply point out that the universe might be eternal, and that you intend to cut out the middle man--and is a feeble argument, it's just not something i think about. If someone asks me point blank if i believe in god, i say no--plain and simple. I refer you to the preeminently reasonalbe statement that Kokopeli made:

mesquite wrote:

I'll take that a step further: the lack of any specific belief is not equivalent to adherence to belief.

Let's not go down the little green men living in a moon made of cheese road again, because that will eventually be the logical consequence of examining a contention of the superiority of agnosticism. For me, there is no atheism, because i'm not pursuing a belief system, i'm denying other beliefs systems offered for consideration.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
I'll bring my view up once again, I do it about once a year.
It won't convince Frank, but some others may relate to it.

To me, the word atheism breaks down simply to be 'a' and 'theism', without theism. Maybe I'll start spelling it with a hyphen.

People seem to be confused by the 'ism' to think of it as a belief when the word as a whole actually denotes absence of belief.

I understand that this isn't everyone's definition of the word, but it covers my take on it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 09:08 am
Out of a million atheists it might be possible to hear a million definitions.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:20 pm
Setanta wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

No, because we've been down that road before. You're simply trying to construct a contention that atheists and theists are equivalent but polar opposite believers. I do not believe that there are no gods. I don't believe that any description of god ever offered to my consideration was plausible. In some case, quite apart from belief, one knows that statements about gods, or from religious texts are complete falsehoods. The contention, for example, that god made the earth stand still while Joshua fought a battle--a complete and outrageous ignorance of the consequences of the application of the laws of thermodynamics. Science is not my god, and in fact, often bores me. But the scientific method is preferrable to a superstitious guessing game.

I am only an atheist to the extent that i am so described by others. This is no belief set, and is not reliant upon a set of assumptions. It is the rejection of someone else's set of assumptions, which do not convince me.

Quote:

Sometimes, casually, and simply for the sport of getting someone's ire up, i've said there are no gods or goddesses. In fact, in deference to an intelligent and sweet young lady who worked in a coffee shop after graduating university, while awaiting a better opportunity--i developed the habit of saying: "There are no gods or goddesses, except for the Coffee Goddess, and she's in caffeine, not salvation."

But, once again, you are attempting to get those who are branded atheist to construct for you your thesis that agnosticism is an intellectually superior point of view. The "professional atheist" who busily runs about, "fact-checking" and denying scriptures, digging out "sins" of the religionist, is simply someone who has replaced one belief set with another. Your point is valid with such people as that. In serious discussion, my position is simply that there is no good reason to believe what the theist has to offer, i have enough in life to deal with in matters which are of a proximate concern and for which not all aspects are known to waste my time in consideration of fanciful tales of supernatural beings. Supernatural claims are extraordinary claims, and therefore the burden of proof lies with those making the claim. Inasmuch as the closest approach to an intellectual basis for theism is in the origin of the universe--running something like, the existence of the universe implies a god, to which the reply is that who created god? and when told god is internal, you simply point out that the universe might be eternal, and that you intend to cut out the middle man--and is a feeble argument, it's just not something i think about. If someone asks me point blank if i believe in god, i say no--plain and simple. I refer you to the preeminently reasonalbe statement that Kokopeli made:

mesquite wrote:

I'll take that a step further: the lack of any specific belief is not equivalent to adherence to belief.

Let's not go down the little green men living in a moon made of cheese road again, because that will eventually be the logical consequence of examining a contention of the superiority of agnosticism. For me, there is no atheism, because i'm not pursuing a belief system, i'm denying other beliefs systems offered for consideration.

Setanta...we are in almost complete agreement here.

But do keep in mind that we already have two people here in this thread who describe themselves as atheists...and who do not subscribe to the explanations you gave for your own atheism.

They are not playing the game you are.

They are saying specifically that they believe[/b] there are no gods.

And I have taken great care to differentiate between those two aspects of atheism each time I discuss it...and would have gone through all that once again here in this thread.

But, your thoughtful analysis here makes that unnecessary.

Thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:17 pm
Bye, Frank.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:23 pm
I suppose one could define such a position as anti-theism. At any event, you reject the descriptions of a putative god in the examples of the OT and Zeus. I simply find the entire proposition of a deity of any description preposterous, and see and have never heard any reasonable explanation of the need for such a being.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
Osso, you are, as usual, refreshingly concise. If only the definition were better understood.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:03 am
Well, Diane, some of us take it by the way the word breaks down, but I see that most people don't. I sit and watch.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 03:15 am
ossobuco wrote:
I'll bring my view up once again, I do it about once a year.
It won't convince Frank, but some others may relate to it.

To me, the word atheism breaks down simply to be 'a' and 'theism', without theism. Maybe I'll start spelling it with a hyphen.

People seem to be confused by the 'ism' to think of it as a belief when the word as a whole actually denotes absence of belief.

I understand that this isn't everyone's definition of the word, but it covers my take on it.

But the fact remains that there are people in this forum...indeed, in this thread, who are stating the absence of gods....as facts.

What else can they be expressing...but "belief?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 04:28 am
Frank, as much as it gauls you, because you do not agree, those individuals to whom you refer may consider it a fact, just as they consider the absence of the easter bunny or Santy Claws a fact . . . because you consider it belief as opposed to fact does not necessarily convince those folks. Either you have more work to do to convince them they are not dealing with fact, or you have to suck it up and accept their disagreement with you.
0 Replies