Atheist Discussion

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:11 am
edgarblythe wrote:
The history of the Earth and of the life that evolved on it makes the notion of a god so patently absurd that I state unequivocally that one does not exist. The Earth is like a mote of dust in the scheme of the universe. The formless material that cooled and formed a crust with seas, becoming receptive to bits of matter that became life and eventually us - All of it went on for millions of years. Somewhere near the end of it a microspeck on a speck voiced the concept of god. And Frank said, "That queers the whole atheist bit."

No I didn't.

That is just you, Edgar, creating a strawman to argue against.

What I have said is that it makes more sense...is more logical...and is more truthful...to state "I do not know" than "There is a God" or "There are no gods."

And I stand by that.

But your mind is so closed, Edgar, that you simply cannot acknowledge that...and have decided not only that you can state "unequivocally" that there are no gods despite the fact that you truly do not know if there are or are not....but that you must resort to strawman building to argue against people who show you the absurdity of your arguments.

Tsk, tsk!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:13 am
In response to a new poster over in another thread, I just wrote:

Quote:
I think I understand where you are coming from, Ray.

I think to suppose we can "prove" anything substantial anytime soon on the issues being discussed here...is highly improbable.

And the fact of the matter is that I regularly argue with theists who are certain the "evidence" points to a God being at the center of things...I regularly argue with atheist who are certain that the "evidence" points to there being no gods...I regularly argue with non-dualist adherents who are certain the "evidence" points to there is a non-duality to existence...I regularly argue with Buddhists who argue that the "evidence" points to blah, blah, blah....

But Ray...the "evidence" truly doesn't point anywhere.

We honestly do not know what existence is.

And my suspicion is that humans trying to fathom the nature of existence based on the "evidence" available to them is like an ant trying to fathom the nature of the universe based on the "evidence" avialable to them.

But since everyone seems to want idle speculation...here is some of mine.

I don't think Rex is truly interested in assessing the "evidence" available...I think he is so uncomfortable with the notion "I do not know" that he wants to accept his evidenceless theistic guesses without question.

I don't think Edgar is truly interested in assessing the "evidence" available...I think he is so uncomfortable with the notion "I do not know" that he wants to accept his evidenceless atheistic guesses without question.

I don't think JL is truly interested in assessing the "evidence" available...I think he is so uncomforable with the notion "I do not know" that he wants to accept his evidenceless non-dualistic guesses without question.

Etc., etc., etc.

I am quite content with "I do not know"...

...and as I have mentioned on many occasions...

...I support as much investigation into what is going on here as we can possible muster. I want science to investigate, propose, challenge, and bring to the "evidence" as much impartiality and study as possible.

Maybe some day we will find some answers.

Until then, I see great danger for humanity in the guesses that are treated the way the guesses I mentioned here are treated.

I thought it applied here, so I'm posting it in this thread also.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:14 am
What you call a closed mind is your own straw man argument. You strain at gnats while elephants crawl through.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What you call a closed mind is your own straw man argument. You strain at gnats while elephants crawl through.

Yeah, Edgar, you have a very closed mind.

And you would rather make a fool of yourself than acknowledge that you are merely guessing when you assert you are "certain" there are no gods.

But for a closed minded person...I guess that makes sense.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
For the sake of discussion, if one iota of contrary evidence came to the fore I would at least pause to consider what if anything it meant. I am not a bit close minded, just tired of phony arguments about this stuff.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Yeah, that was one nasty elephant that crawled through last night.

Time for you two to shake hands and get ready to oppose the raft of Bible hooey that is about to be thrust upon us over the next four years. Without the worry of reelection the next four years could be quite busy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:38 pm
Frank and I are quite chummy away from this single issue. Most other topics we are on or very nearly on the same page.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:49 pm
While Frank and I were having dinner Frank suggested that I was only guessing that I was eating French food. I knew after seeing the bill and him ducking out to the street that it must have been French food.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
Frank don't cotton none to certainty.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
well the really weird thing was when I walked out to the street and saw Frank laying face down on the sidewalk I said to myself, I said, "self I know I'm only guessing that's Frank laying there" so I lit a cig, turned around and walked on back to my hotel. I'm guessing that the para-medics that I think I saw took care of Frank, at least that's my guess.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:10 pm
Unless you have some hard evidence there dys, you're gonna hafta admit that you only believe they took care of him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:29 pm
Hmm. I would offer an opinion, but Frank would just reject it in the end.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:
While Frank and I were having dinner Frank suggested that I was only guessing that I was eating French food. I knew after seeing the bill and him ducking out to the street that it must have been French food.

Even me, I was not a-french food, as in "void of", but Ah, French food!

Let me not give the indication that I think this was the best french restaurant I've ever ventured in to, but that it was perfect for the occasion(s) I was there, with French overtones.

The quote of yours above, dys, is a classic.

Edit to say that I ate at the same place too, with Diane and Roberta, a year and a half before the dinner Dys refers to. Not to claim spiritual precedence, god forbid, but to explain why I am even talking about this.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:29 pm
Oddly Enough - Reuters

TAIPEI (Reuters) - A man leaped into a lion's den at the Taipei Zoo on Wednesday to try to convert the king of beasts to Christianity, but was bitten in the leg for his efforts.

"Jesus will save you!" the 46-year-old man shouted at two African lions lounging under a tree a few meters away.

"Come bite me!" he said with both hands raised, television footage showed.

One of the lions, a large male with a shaggy mane, bit the man in his right leg before zoo workers drove it off with water hoses and tranquilizer guns.

Newspapers said that the lions had been fed earlier in the day, otherwise the man might have been more seriously hurt ... or worse.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:02 am
a bit OT but....I'm kinda impressed that I'm an Australian responding to an American posting of an English news service report about African lions in Taiwan
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 04:28 am
dyslexia wrote:

I KNOW the sidewalk gave the impression of being hard, Dys, I was unconscious for over three hours. I KNOW that I regained consciousness in the emergency room of St. Vincent's Hospital. I THINK Blatham was trying to revive me with all the "slapping" he said he did...but I suspect he was using a clenched fist because the shiner I had was major league.

I KNOW that all knowing is probably suspect...but there are some things one can claim to KNOW that make sense...and some things that really don't.

GUESSES about what we are; what the universe is; what existence is; if there are gods; if there are no gods; what happens after death...and that sort of thing...are so obviously GUESSES...

...why anyone, thesist or atheist, wants to pretend they are more than guesses is beyond me. But "pretend" they will...and if challenged...will insist that it is something more than a guess.

Most of the time...I merely laugh at the notion.

But once in a while...for instance, when I am hearing the insistence in a posting in an Internet forum...I respond.

That is even better than laughing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:14 am
Laughter can be a sign of embrrassment, Frank. Perhaps you are not so certain of your uncertainty as you would have us believe.
0 Replies