Do sexual fantasies reveal a much more brutal history in the past?

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:20 pm
Do sexual fantasies reveal a much more brutal history in the past? Some men have fantasies of having sex with pre-teens, rape, torture, domination, and enslavement. These are all themes that is common in much of past human civilizations. The "rape, and pillage" after conquest, are often involves the enslavement of the victim, and the willingness of the aggressors. This is what happen in with Rome, Persia, Africa.....etc.

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:38 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
No.
I think they have been playing video games and going to horror movies.

Joe(and how many 'men' are you talking about percentagewise.?)Nation
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:47 am
People breathe.

People kill.

Therefore, breathing leads to murder.

(The OP needs some serious remedial English.)
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:55 am
@TuringEquivalent,
The past is the past.
Present, present.
Future, future.

Cave men are history........................or else incaserated.

Any thread on Sexual thoughts with pre-teens discusts me.
Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 09:04 am
@TuringEquivalent,
Unlike the things we actually do to other people, our fantasies about doing things to other people do not have to be ethical. So why wouldn't we fantasize about doing horrible things to other people? There's no reason we shouldn't. No deep explanation seems necessary here --- historical, psychological, or otherwise.
igm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 09:40 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Unlike the things we actually do to other people, our fantasies about doing things to other people do not have to be ethical. So why wouldn't we fantasize about doing horrible things to other people?

I can see some reasons. A less controversial one would be that one avoids being a hypocrite.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 09:51 am
Wierd thread.
igm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 10:04 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Wierd thread.

I agree. I also believe that the first step to doing something is to think about doing something and fantasies about harming others are IMHO dangerous to oneself and others for this reason. One antidote... to dangerous fantasies... meditation.
Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 10:19 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
I can see some reasons. A less controversial one would be that one avoids being a hypocrite.

I'm not so sure that 'hypocrite' is the right word for people who treat other people well and only fantasize about treating them badly. But if it is, I have no problem with hypocrisy in their case. I certainly prefer it to the authenticity of acting on ones violent fantasies and hurting people for real.
igm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:19 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

igm wrote:

I'm not so sure that 'hypocrite' is the right word for people who treat other people well and only fantasize about treating them badly. But if it is, I have no problem with hypocrisy in their case. I certainly prefer it to the authenticity of acting on ones violent fantasies and hurting people for real.

" a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

I'd say that definition suits... but my real point, other than this, is that if one fantasizes about doing something harmful 'some' will end up eventually trying to create that fantasy in real-life. Personally I think dangerous fantasies should be let go of as soon as they arise before an habitual tendency sets in.

I also think it helps to say it's dangerous (fantasizing in this way) if one believes it is. There a cases (many) where the perpetrator of some gruesome crime has admitted to first of all fantasizing about it.
igm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:27 am
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

Do sexual fantasies reveal a much more brutal history in the past? Some men have fantasies of having sex with pre-teens, rape, torture, domination, and enslavement. These are all themes that is common in much of past human civilizations. The "rape, and pillage" after conquest, are often involves the enslavement of the victim, and the willingness of the aggressors. This is what happen in with Rome, Persia, Africa.....etc.

I think 'history' and not sexual fantasies reveals a much more brutal history in the past. But history must never be an excuse to fantasize about harming others.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 12:11 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
" a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,

But you're not feigning the attitude if your acts consistently comply with it.

igm wrote:
especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements."

Notice the absence of the word "acts" in your definition. In my view, your private thoughts are nobody's business as long as you consistently act on the publically-approved attitude. Accordingly, I see no conflict between your dictionary and what I'm saying. Of course, this wouldn't be the first time I see something wrongly. If that should be the case here, no big deal. I'll merely retreat to my fallback position that I have no ethical problem with hypocrisy in this case. Ultimately, it's my acts, not my private thoughts, that are ethically relevant.

igm wrote:
I'd say that definition suits... but my real point, other than this, is that if one fantasizes about doing something harmful 'some' will end up eventually trying to create that fantasy in real-life.

As I understand the state of psychological field research, that's currently a point of contention within the discipline. It frequently comes up in the context of violent video games. Some psychologists agree with you. They say that such fantasies desensitize players and thereby make them more likely to commit horrible acts for real. Others say fantasies act as a safety valve, as an alternative to doing it for real. The empirical evidence doesn't seem to be conclusive either way. Hence the contention.
igm

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 12:35 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

igm wrote:
" a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude,

But you're not feigning the attitude if your acts consistently comply with it.

igm wrote:
especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements."

Notice the absence of the word "acts" in your definition. As long as you consistently act on the publically-approved attitude, your private thoughts are nobody's business. Accordingly, there is no conflict between your dictionary and what I'm saying.

igm wrote:
I'd say that definition suits... but my real point, other than this, is that if one fantasizes about doing something harmful 'some' will end up eventually trying to create that fantasy in real-life.

As I understand the state of psychological field research, that's currently a point of contention within the discipline. It frequently comes up in the context of violent video games. Some psychologists agree with you. They say that such fantasies desensitize players and thereby make them more likely to commit horrible acts for real. Others say fantasies act as a safety valve, as an alternative to doing it for real. The empirical evidence doesn't seem to be conclusive either way. Hence the contention.

If you act towards a 'real' person one way and you fantasize sexually harming them in your head... that's wrong... no excuses... Also I'm not talking about video games unless one day it is possible to download an avatar of a real person you fantasize about e.g. raping and then rape them in the video game. I also said that rapists etc... have admitted fantasizing 'before' they went on to carryout the rape; which is evidence that sexual fantasies can lead to rape.

Here is the definition:

fan·ta·size
Verb:
Indulge in daydreaming about something desired.
Imagine (something that one wants to happen).

Even the definition points to 'wanting' to carry out the act... that's dangerous in my opinion and should be discouraged by pointing out the dangers.
Thomas

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:10 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
If you act towards a 'real' person one way and you fantasize sexually harming them in your head... that's wrong... no excuses...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. To me, the only wrong thing is harming people. As long as nobody harms anyone for real, what's going on in people's heads is none of our business.

igm wrote:
I also said that rapists etc... have admitted fantasizing 'before' they went on to carryout the rape; which is evidence that sexual fantasies can lead to rape.

Rapists are also known to have breathed, eaten, and slept before they carried out the rape. Is this evidence to you that eating, sleeping, and breathing can lead to rape and hence should be barred? The logic of your argument suggests that you think they can, and that they should be.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:34 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Cave men are history

You can take the man out of the cave, but you can't take the cave out of the man... (Religion being the proverbial cave, where stoneage attitudes and beliefs are being preserved)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:38 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
I think such fantasies are healty. It is owning up to the powercraving most people have. Those who do not allow themselves to imagine horrors are the ones who find themselves committing them. How dark is your soul? And can you exist in an illuminated state without knowing the answer to that question?
0 Replies

igm

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 05:41 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Ok.
Thomas wrote:

Rapists are also known to have breathed, eaten, and slept before they carried out the rape. Is this evidence to you that eating, sleeping, and breathing can lead to rape and hence should be barred? The logic of your argument suggests that you think they can, and that they should be.

No, but the well documented confessions of rapists that they fantasized prior to committing the rape is. Thanks for clearly showing the definition of a 'straw man' argument.
Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:02 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
Thanks for clearly showing the definition of a 'straw man' argument.

That wasn't a straw man, that was a reductio ad absurdum of your fallacious argument. We agree that just because breathing precedes rape, that doesn't mean it caused it. Analogously, the fact that rape fantasies precede the actual rape doesn't mean that they caused it. It was a fallacy of you to assume that it means that. Specifically, your line of reasoning is known as the post-hoc fallacy.
igm

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:31 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Specifically, your fallacy is known as the post-hoc fallacy.

I disagree because there is sufficient evidence to warrant such a claim.

Can thoughts lead to actions? Yes. Can thoughts about raping someone lead to rape? Yes. Are rape fantasies thoughts? Yes. Therefore fantasies can lead to rape.

Is there any anecdotal evidence of this? Yes.

Conclusion anyone who fantasizes raping someone 'could' be in danger of eventually raping someone. Something that is worth pointing out.
Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 06:40 am
@igm,
igm wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Specifically, your fallacy is known as the post-hoc fallacy.

I disagree because there is sufficient evidence to warrant such a claim.

Let's see your evidence then: what evidence do you have that rape fantasies cause rape, and that putting a lid on them would reduce the rate at which rapes happen?