will i get pragnant after using birht controll pillls ?

ammna

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:51 am
i had taken birth control pill but right after an hr i had intercourse again , will get pregnant or will i have to take another p

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 06:01 am
@ammna,
I believe birth control pills are supposed to be used before you have sexual intercourse. The dosage/timetable is written on the box. Even then they are not 100% accurate.

Unless you are referring to the The Morning-After Pill or other Emergency Contraception based pills which I doubt you are. Even these are only 85+% effective in their prevention of pregnancy.
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/emergency-contraception-morning-after-pill-4363.asp

roger

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 10:21 am
@tsarstepan,
I've heard the conventional pill needed to be used for a full cycle before they offered any protection. If true, this is very sad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:17 am
@ammna,
If you are talking about the regular birth control pill that is prescribed to be taken daily, it takes about 2 weeks to be effective. So every day at approximately the same time of day, you are supposed to swallow a pill. After two weeks you are 99.9% likely to avoid a pregnancy.

But when you got the prescription, the doctor should have told you all this and the detail instructions are written on the package.

Why the heck would you take a medicine and not know the details of how it works?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 11:26 am
@Linkat,
Something tells me that the birth control pills weren't prescribed to this Ammna and she borrowed them from a friend or relative so there never was a face to face talk to an actual doctor, let alone any attempt at reading the instructions on the bottle or box.
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:26 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Why the heck would you take a medicine and not know the details of how it works?

Linkat, very few people actually "know" how their medication works. The birth control pill is pretty unusual in that most females on it know how and why it works.

Strangely, too many MDs don't know much about how many drugs work. They read the PDR and package inserts and that's about all. As a test, ask your Doc how a statin works.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
I wonder if she thinks they work like aspirin? You know, you take one when you need it? (Totally wrong. I hope she reads Linkat's explanation above.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:47 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

If you are talking about the regular birth control pill that is prescribed to be taken daily, it takes about 2 weeks to be effective. So every day at approximately the same time of day, you are supposed to swallow a pill. After two weeks you are 99.9% likely to avoid a pregnancy...

...IF and ONLY IF you have remembered to take all your pills as directed. If you skip only one, they're ineffective.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 02:51 pm
@Eva,
Yes that is what I wrote "So every day at approximately the same time of day, you are supposed to swallow a pill.."

And yes I do make sure I understand the medication I am taking - not all the medical ins and outs - but what it is supposed to do, how you take it, side effects, do you really need it...
Eva

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:15 pm
@Linkat,
I know. Doctors will typically explain that the pills are supposed to be taken every day. But unfortunately, teen mothers often say they were never told explicitly that missing a pill could result in pregnancy. So I thought we should make that crystal clear. Even one missed pill, and you must use another form of birth control for the remainder of that cycle while you continue taking the pills.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 03:46 pm
@Eva,
yeah - I guess I have always been careful with any sort of medicine. I read and re-read packages to ensure that I am taking medicine as prescribed.

I never understood people who were so careless with it.

But then again, I can be anal about certain things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:12 pm
@Eva,
Sex education is a mess here in the u.s. (don't argue with me! I lived it myself and it seems worse now, if that is possible) and probably in many other places.

I think the guess that the poster took one pill to fix it might be correct.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2012 04:19 pm
I'm not the one to do this, but maybe a smartie here could work up a thread on use of birth control that could explain a lot of mysteries to people who don't know anything (which I remember). That sounds like a job or a book. I mean it as a could be advice post..
Maybe a really good link.
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 08:57 am
@ossobuco,
I'd like info on "after the pill use" - I've used the birth control pill for most of my adult life. It was been great for me - I know some people have issues with it, but I loved it. I am now approaching an age when my doctor says I should not use it any more.

I've been granted an extension to use it far beyond what most women do, simply because it has been so successful for me and because I am in excellent health.

What do I do now? What would work for some one who has used this method for maybe 25 years give or take?
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 09:14 am
@Linkat,
What's your husband think about getting a vasectomy?
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 01:55 pm
@sozobe,
probably not high on his list - and not just that - the type of work he does, he would not get paid for any time off.
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:16 pm
@Linkat,
Recovery time wasn't that bad actually -- like 1-2 day range.

I was in the same boat as you, wanted to stop with pills because I'd been on them so long. We already knew we didn't want to have another baby and E.G. volunteered. I was impressed -- I hadn't planned on asking him. He said something like, "You had to take care of this for the last 20 years, now it's my turn."

It's been AWESOME to just not have to think about that stuff anymore.
roger

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:39 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Recovery time wasn't that bad actually -- like 1-2 day range.

BET ME!
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2012 02:48 pm
@roger,
Well, for going back to work.

It wasn't pleasant, mind you.

Quote:
You should be able to return home as soon as the procedure is done. You can return to work the next day if you do not do heavy physical work. Most men return to work within 2 to 3 days.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002995.htm
Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2012 09:32 am
@sozobe,
Yeah - my next doctor's appt we are supposed to discuss.

It isn't an immediate need - but my doctor did bring up last year, that next year will be a good time to discuss options. Just have been so used to using them - I actually like the few side affects I get with them (fortunately for me I've only had the positive ones) - which are lighter periods and decrease in cramps.