We no longer can believe published photos

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 02:26 pm
I agree with BBB. Flawed comparison which was also in poor taste.

Still, everyone is entitled to private irrationalities. I treasure mine.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 04:47 pm
If Jane during those days had beguiled McGentrix and convinced him to come to her car he might not be with us today. He might have looked great in blue face with one of Tom's ties tied around his neck.

The point is making that kind of comparison is no worse nor better than altering a photograph to place two people in the same spot. You be the judge.
0 Replies

bocdaver

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:23 am
I thimk the Photo of Senator Kerry sitting several rows behind Fonda must also be doctored. Is there anything that Rush Limbaugh and his right wingers won't do to denigrate a real American hero like Senator Kerry????
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:31 am
Kerry and Jane

WASHINGTON -- A 34-year-old flier lists speakers for an anti-Vietnam War rally at Valley Forge State Park, Pa., Sept. 7, 1970. Included were two of that era's most notorious leftist agitators, the Rev. James Bevel and Mark Lane, plus actress Jane Fonda, a symbol of extreme opposition to the war. Leading off the list was a less familiar name: John Kerry.

So much for the contention by Kerry supporters that his connection with "Hanoi Jane" (so called for her later visit to the enemy capital in time of war) was accidental juxtaposition in a photograph. In fact, Navy Lt. Kerry returned from heroic wartime service to help lead the radical Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), whose diatribes against flag and country are shocking from the distance of three decades.

Does this reflect on Kerry's qualifications for the presidency? Perhaps no more than George W. Bush's record in attending National Guard drills in 1972. When Democrats made President Bush's past part of the 2004 campaign, Sen. Kerry's past became fair game. Relentless attention to the Bush record has helped the president's political decline, while the Kerry record has been largely ignored.

Kerry now keeps his distance from Jane Fonda, expressing disapproval of her adventures in Hanoi. Rep. Charles Rangel on CNN's "Crossfire" Feb. 12 minimized a photo showing Kerry three rows away from Fonda at an anti-war rally: "There was some distance between Jane Fonda . . . and there was a guy that looked like it was Kerry that was a part of the crowd." He added to me: "I just hope that you wouldn't just identify me with your politics just because I took a picture with you."

Actually, Kerry and Fonda both were among war resisters with the most extreme positions in criticizing U.S. participation in the war. Kerry, as the New England representative, attended a VVAW executive committee meeting Sept. 11, 1970. Minutes show plans to picket the National Guard Association convention in New York, to sponsor "war crimes testimony" at the U.N. and to coordinate with Jane Fonda's speaking tour. A later VVAW staff meeting decided to bar the American flag from the organization's offices.

A VVAW flier of their period claims "American soldiers" commit atrocities "every day" against "the Vietnamese simply because they are 'Gooks.'" Kerry bought into the VVAW mantra that war crimes were not isolated in Vietnam. He told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that "in a fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan," U.S. troops committed unspeakable atrocities while they "ravaged the countryside."

Returning to Kerry's youthful indiscretions is valid only because of the inordinate attention on young Bush in the same period. Kerry's strategists never planned to go down this path, which inadvertently was opened when leftist moviemaker Michael Moore called Bush a "deserter" for allegedly missing National Guard drills. That triggered a feeding frenzy for Democratic politicians, helped along at first by Kerry.

In 2000, Kerry leaped on the National Guard issue, comparing the Republican candidate unfavorably with "those of us who were in the military." Four years later, Kerry was less direct, linking Bush's Guard service to people who "went to Canada" or "opposed the war." Kerry's surrogate, former Sen. Max Cleland (recently named by President Bush to the Export-Import Bank board) asserted "we need somebody who felt the sting of battle, not someone who didn't."

Kerry has since backed away from the National Guard question and ordered his surrogates to do the same, but that does not cover such irrepressible Democrats as Charlie Rangel. In 1992 when Bill Clinton's non-service was under attack, the congressman from Harlem brushed off his own heroic Korean War record as a way "to get off the street because times were rough." On NBC's "Meet the Press" last Sunday he sang a different song. "I've served in combat," he said, adding that "those who haven't shared it ought to give a lot of space to those that have been there."

Once again, Rangel suggested that Kerry did not even know Jane Fonda. Documents show they shared the same platform and the same wing of the anti-war movement. That is surely as valid as investigating how many National Guard drills Bush attended.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:53 am
The old adages 'Seeing is believing" "One picture is worth a thousand words." "I saw it with my own eyes" reinforces the idea that the photo of kerry is in a different ballpark from the accusations against Arnold.

I believe photographs are no longer acceptable evidence in a court of law.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:35 am
McGentrix
McGentrix, the distorted "factual" article you post was by Robert Novak, who is well known for touting his manufactured version of events, including his recent criminal outing of a CIA agent.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 10:52 am
The Way the World Works
McGentrix, are you a fan of Jude Wanniski 1978 book?

The Way the World Works
by Jude Wanniski

The first book to explain in detail the principles of supply-side economics and explore world history from that perspective.

Book Description

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the book which helped launch the current economic miracle, Gateway Books is proudly repackaging and re-releasing The Way the World Works. Jude Wanniski's masterpiece defined the economic policies of the 1980s responsible for a booming stock market, the creation of thirty million new jobs, untold wealth, and unparalleled prosperity.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 02:55 pm
Sorry but now that the verification of the fake photograph has put the photograph showing Fonda and Kerry into question, Novak is just blowing himself.
0 Replies