We no longer can believe published photos

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:06 am
Digital photography has made it too easy to falsify photos---BBB

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/kerry2.asp

1971 Photo of Kerry Doctored
By Michael Rothfeld
Newsday.com Staff Writer

As a 20-year-old photographer documenting the country's struggle over the Vietnam War, Ken Light snapped the picture of John Kerry at a peace rally in Mineola. It captured the future senator alone at a podium, squinting into the sun.

Light did not photograph Jane Fonda on that warm June Sunday in 1971. The actress, who is reviled by many Vietnam veterans for her vocal stance against the war, did not even attend.

But when opponents of the Democratic presidential hopeful began e-mailing Light's picture to one another four days ago, it depicted Fonda standing by Kerry's side. The photo had been doctored.

"I'm horrified," said Light, 52, who grew up in East Meadow and now heads the graduate photojournalism program at the University of California at Berkeley. "I think this kind of alteration is probably one of the scariest forms of trickery, particularly when it's done against a political candidate."

Dag Vega, a spokesman for Kerry's campaign, said, "The smear tactics have started already."

Kerry, who co-founded Vietnam Veterans Against the War, spoke at the Register for Peace Rally on June 13, 1971, when thousands gathered for "the largest anti-war demonstration ever held on Long Island," according to a story in Newsday the next day. Light recalled Long Islanders of all ages sprawled across the State Supreme Court mall in Mineola, with American flags and peace symbols. Former members of Congress who attended included Bella Abzug, Allard Lowenstein and Lester Wolff. Folk singer Peter Yarrow entertained, and the rally ended with a burst of thunder and lightning.

Light, a student in Ohio at the time, took the picture of Kerry but never published it, and it sat in his files until two weeks ago when he shipped it to Corbis, his Seattle-based agent, which placed it in its online archives.

That is apparently where someone found it, and attempted to capitalize on the attention garnered by an authentic photo of Kerry and Fonda at a Vietnam-era rally -- seated some distance apart -- posted early this month on a Web site called www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com. The Web site's creator, Ted Sampley, a Vietnam veteran from North Carolina, said he received the doctored photo by e-mail on Wednesday from a woman in Richmond, Va.

"Thought you might want to include this pic on your site," said the note from Loree Siemek, with an attachment called "HanoiJohn.jpg," a takeoff on "Hanoi Jane," the derisive nickname given to Fonda by her critics during the Vietnam era. It is made to look like a newspaper clipping, headlined "Fonda Speaks to Vietnam Veterans at Anti- War Rally," with an Associated Press photo credit. Sampley said he was immediately skeptical, and e-mailed it to some friends who concluded it was faked. He did not post it.

"I looked at it and it didn't feel right," Sampley said in an interview. "It just looked too good."

Siemek, 34, reached by phone, said she found the picture on a conservative Internet message board and had no idea it was phony.

"This thing has spiraled out of control," Siemek said. "If I had any thought that photo was not real, I would never have forwarded it to the veterans' group."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,769 • Replies: 47
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:12 am
wow - guess my digital skills are not that good yet.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:17 am
That's outrageous
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
Just another example of how the hard core right are capable of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

When I hear their "holier than thou" rantings on AM radio it cracks me up Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:38 pm
The photo has been posted on this forum and should be removed immediately by the moderators if not deleted by the poster.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
Lightwizard
Lightwizard, where was the photo posted?

BBB
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:44 pm
I was looking for it but it's been about a week.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:51 pm
OH I think I remember - but that was a lot of posts ago.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:30 pm
Here is a link to the photo and the two which it was made from.
phony photo
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:34 pm
Thanks, mesquite, and welcome to A2K! It was posted on this forum but I believe it may have already been removed.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:40 pm
Timber posted it as a chain rattler on some other thread and when called on it by Blatham, he posted the link to snopes.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
Okay, I missed the confrontation on the photo -- it should be removed from the forum as it is illegal and against the TOS.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
Remember the Arabs-in-the-Souk insisting that we could fake all sorts of documents and photo-documents to frame bin Laden and Saddam Hussian?

Right mosque, wrong prayer rug.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:49 pm
I cannot resist - this really supports us never being to the moon Wink
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 02:53 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Okay, I missed the confrontation on the photo -- it should be removed from the forum as it is illegal and against the TOS.

LW
Here is a link to the post, link but with Timber being a moderator and all.. :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:01 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

not that I think it's ok but I was wondering under what regulation or policy?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:02 pm
The photo goes beyond being fun and is actually libel to the point of being criminal. I'm certain it could be prosecuted as criminal. The moderators don't consider themselves to be God and can make mistakes as well as the rest of us.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:13 pm
And lets not forget, libelous accusations don't sit squarely on the right...

Who can remember, not long ago, of Arnold Schwarzenegger being accused of being an admirer of Hitler.

Also of being a sexual predator the likes of which the world hasn't seen since... well... I have to go back to the 8 years of the Clinton Presidency (and before)

All of these accusations 'came to light' a few weeks before the recall election. How convenient. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think politics of this sort are disgusting no matter WHICH side of the aisle you sit on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 03:33 pm
Where are the published photos on these accusations? One can choose to believe what they want based on the evidence of Ahnold's past sexual picadillos (which he himself admitted were not entirely false) but if someone had digitally doctored a photo to try and prove he is guilty is a different story. In Hollywood, Ahnold as been well known for the behavior for many years. It's nothing new.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 04:02 pm
Its one thing to say something damaging to a person at a particular time.
Its an entirely different thing to completely falsify something that represents a person, though.

Arnold did not admire Hitler for what he did, but for the effect he had on his followers. Also, its well established that he has a few sexual picadillos.

To fabricate a photo of Kerry with a person as anger inducing as Fonda during 'Nam is WAY worse. As dirty as politics get, it should never go to that level.
0 Replies