Why should Americans help observe QE II's jubilee?

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 11:49 am
@snood,
Now you're showing yourself to be a liar, Snood. Remember, "okay, back on ignore".

When you venture out into the daylight, the truth sure makes you scurry back into your warm little hole awfully quick.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 12:31 pm
@contrex,
Either that or his farmers are playing up.
contrex

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 02:44 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Either that or his farmers are playing up.

Very apposite, considering he is a 'anus horribilis' of the first order. There. A Queenly, if not queenly, reference.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 03:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Now you're showing yourself to be a liar, Snood. Remember, "okay, back on ignore".

When you venture out into the daylight, the truth sure makes you scurry back into your warm little hole awfully quick.

Whatever. Sometimes I take you off ignore to see if you have gained any sanity. For the record, every time, you've been consistently batshit.

So, what do you do for fun?
Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is different in that there's a real sense of history now, the only other monarch to have had a Diamond Jubilee is Victoria, and people are thinking in similar terms.

In my opinion, it all comes down to the powers that be (in the US) want to get all of us diverse Americans to assimilate into the right social template. Meaning, one's family could have come from some country of minimal significance, but within two or three generations, the descendants (of that family) will be speaking English, and almost believe they were on the Mayflower, and the Pilgrims were their ancestors (based on public school's American history). And, in keeping with all that, playing up the Royal family is good for the possible day when the US again might have to protect Mother England.

If one reads WWI history, the amount of anti-German propaganda was immense (fight the Hun). If one reads WWII social history, in the US, many German-American families even stopped eating ethnic cuisine (saurkraut) to appear more "American."

There is a method to the madness. But, you do not have to believe me, it is just my opinion.
JTT

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 10:44 pm
@snood,
Quote:
So, what do you do for fun?

Point up what a liar you are. You take that in a pretty calm fashion. I guess that's easy when the slaughter of millions by people you elect and support with your taxes and diversions doesn't seem to faze you in the least.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:37 am
@Foofie,
Sorry Foofie, but this Jubilee isn't about America. You can watch it or not, but don't expect anyone over here to be bothered with what you have to say about it.
dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
You shouldnt unless you happen to want to.

I am a strong anti-royalist, but it's history....so I find it an interesting occasion. It's silly for me to deny my British heritage, which includes a lot of Irish and Scots. Many people in the US have a similar heritage. That being said, I'm not looking at any of the stuff being written or televised about it.

Do what you will with it all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:50 am
Any traction for republicanism there in the antipodes, Miss Wabbit?
dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 02:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Any traction for republicanism there in the antipodes, Miss Wabbit?

Yep....probably the majority. The problem is finding an alternative system that suits enough people to get up.

The conservative Howard government pretty much ensured the referendum to make Oz a republic was lost by hitching a very unpopular alternative system to the republic option. grrrrrrrrrrrr...

That being said, it's not a major biggie for most people, I don't think. It doesn't make a lot of difference, and given the lack of a popular alternative system I suppose people go along with what is.

Oh....I was fired up the other night. I went to the Lowitja O'Donoghue Oration. She is a revered figure in fighting for indigenous rights and a very interesting retired High Court judge....one who helped get up momentous land rights decisions and who is also a prominent gay man....was giving the oration. Then the bloody state governor arrived and we were expected to stand up for him!!!!

I'd much rather have been standing up for Lowitcha and Kirby!

In my younger days I'd have stayed sitting, but instead I stood up for Lowitja instead.
The current Labor government is way too marginal to push a republic and the conservatives are divided.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 03:04 am
@dlowan,
That sort of thing is pretty standard tactics for political parties. What would happen is there another incident such as Whitlam/Kerr? Couldn't happen now? Bloody revolution in the streets?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 03:09 am
Just read your revision. I'd not have stood up. The conservatives here have attempted to strictly control public events in recent years, and privately employed security men have given people the bum's rush. I wonder what they'd do in such a situation? Americans, of any political persuasion, are not all too keen on enforced gestures of respect or deference.

Which, à proposp of the thread topic, is why this business with Queenie is such a big "so-what?" for a lot of people over here, probably for most people.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 03:40 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Which, à proposp of the thread topic, is why this business with Queenie is such a big "so-what?" for a lot of people over here, probably for most people.

I know what you mean, I always post on threads that don't interest me at all.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 03:43 am
@izzythepush,
That's not news to me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Sorry Foofie, but this Jubilee isn't about America. You can watch it or not, but don't expect anyone over here to be bothered with what you have to say about it.

I like the Queen. As a teenager, she calmed British children at night by giving a radio broadcast before their bedtime (when the Nazis were bombing London). She is, in my opinion, the most capable/competent Royal.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:45 am
@Foofie,
Elizabeth II had joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service (trained as a driver and mechanic) and is thus the only actual head of state who served in uniform during World War II.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:53 am
By the way, for the record, i do find this thread interesting, despite the odd snotty Saxon. But the subject of the thread is not Queenie--it's the reaction of Americans to Queenie.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As someone who has moved from being an armchair republican to a reluctant royalist, I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing. It's a bit like being an atheist at Christmas, you may think it's a load of old bollocks, but what the heck. It's a party, you might as well have a good time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 07:56 am
@Setanta,
You out-snot the snottiest of snotters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 08:08 am
Sure, Bubba, if you say so . . .
0 Replies