How to pronounce "ths"?

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 09:03 pm
When th and s are together, how to pronunce? Like months, clothes

View best answer, chosen by qlzPotato
Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:48 am
@qlzPotato,
One hardly knows how to answer such a question--it's pronounced "ths".
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:51 am
@qlzPotato,
If you go to this site, the Merriam-Webster page for the word month, there is a recording for the pronunciation of months.

The pronunciation of word is slightly different, although i'm not certain that a non-native speaker would hear the distinction. Here is Merriam-Websters page for the word clothes. There is a speaker symbol there which will sound the word for you when you click on it.

Truth to tell, speakers of any language can be lazy. Many speakers off English pronounce clothes just about the same as they pronounce close.
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:16 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Truth to tell, speakers of any language can be lazy. Many speakers off English pronounce clothes just about the same as they pronounce close.

Don't listen to Setanta. His advice is almost always nonsense. All speakers of English sometimes clip sounds. It's as natural as, well, speaking.

So you'll hear both monse and months - for the latter the tongue either just touches the top teeth extending just a tad past the teeth or for a stronger 'ths' sound, farther past the top teeth.

Same for close and clothes
JTT

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 11:17 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
One hardly knows how to answer such a question--it's pronounced "ths".

See what I told you about his inability to answer questions on language.
0 Replies

qlzPotato

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 04:11 am
@JTT,
Thanks. You are so nice!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 07:24 am
@qlzPotato,

I knew a girl who says "momfs".
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2012 04:06 pm
@McTag,
You know, "ths" is hard for native speakers to say or understand. I was cutting up a pizza recently, a rather large one, and i asked The Girl if she thought i should cut it in eighths. She kept asking me what i was saying, so i finally said "cut it in quarters, and cut the quarters in half." This is not always an easy language.
JTT

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2012 10:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You know, "ths" is hard for native speakers to say or understand.

No, it isn't, you idiot. This little anecdote, that you probably misread, doesn't lead sensible people to such rash conclusions.

But keep on with your nonsense about language. In fact, why don't you start another peeves thread? That was right up your alley, Set.
0 Replies