somebody, HELP!!!!

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 03:06 pm
my 10 week old kitten is crying constantly, yet nothing is wrong. i thouht he might just want attention, but he runs away rom me when i go to pick him up. WHAT'S WRONG?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 03:46 pm
@itachi8sasuke99,
Ours did the same thing. Cried constantly...mournful, moaning cries.

Ran away and hid in places he could not be reached.

Then slowly, everything changed.

He still is vocal...and makes crying noises, but mostly when he wants something. He still runs from me, but runs to Nancy.

I think all will be well soon. Just stick it out.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:08 pm
@itachi8sasuke99,
Well, I hate to bring up the obvious, but have you considered bringing this kitten to the Vet? After all, that should be a normal part of care-taking of any pet.

At what point was it weaned from its mother? Was it at more than 6 weeks old, (hopefully)?

Does the cat have diarrhea? Does the cat have a decent appetite? Is it competing with other cat's or kitten's for its food?

The problem could be something as simple as having made a sudden change in the kitten's diet or being advised that a change is needed. Be aware that a kitten's diet is vastly different from an adult cat. Either way, a vet most often is a good detective and can advise you about the trouble far better than we can.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:15 pm
@Ragman,
Can't agree more.

In the meantime, put a ticking clock under his/her blanket. It to a kitten sounds like a heart beat and if he/she is missing his/her Mother, it will help calm the kitty alot...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 05:00 pm
@itachi8sasuke99,
Let the kitty come to you. Stop trying to pick it up. He needs to learn to feel safe around you.

You can start by sitting on the floor and holding some kitty treats in your hand. Let the kitty come to you and if he wants, eat the treats out of your hand. If he doesn't yet want to do that, just set the treat on the floor a few feet away from you and see if he'll eat it. Keep moving the treats closer to you each time. Then see if he'll eat one out of your hand. Don't try picking him up or petting him while you are doing these steps. Just let him feel safe eating food near you. Keep doing that for a few weeks and he'll eventually curl up on your lap.

He just needs to learn that he can trust you and that he's safe near you.
0 Replies