Would you drink 'Five Wives Vodka'?

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:41 pm
http://www.christianpost.com/news/five-wives-vodka-banned-in-idaho-for-being-offensive-to-mormons-75774/

By Katherine Weber , Christian Post Reporter
May 30, 2012|12:22 pm
Idaho liquor regulators have banned Five Wives Vodka from their state-run liquor stores, arguing that the product's name is offensive to Mormons as it presumably references polygamy, which is practiced by some sects of the LDS Church.
The middle-shelf, $20 label features five women, dressed in pioneer-era clothing with their arms linked. Ironically, the vodka is made at Ogden's Own Distillery in Utah -- where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) has been based since the late 19th century.

In a letter to distributor Elite Spirits of Boise, the Idaho Liquor Division said it finds the Five Wives title offensive.

"We feel Five Wives Vodka concept is offensive to a prominent segment of our population and will not be carried," Howard Wasserstein, deputy director of the Liquor Division, explained in the letter, as published on the Ogden's Own Distillery's website.

Mormons make up 27 percent of Idaho's population, according to recent U.S. Census statistics.

Both Elite Spirits and Ogden's Own Distillery have expressed dismay and surprise over the ban, arguing that their product is a very popular choice among many, and serves as a homage to the early pioneers of the West.

http://www.abc4.com/media/lib/5/9/5/2/952bd4df-d29e-4026-a5dc-56ecb48a16d1/Story.jpg
Part of the Fove Wives label

What do you think? Is that offensive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 12,355 • Replies: 53

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:49 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Offensive? It's a marketing campaign so its meant to be ironic. I think like most oddball winery names, its supposed to be unique and with a touch of offbranded humor.

Would I buy it? Since I rarely buy alcohol let alone vodka I'd doubt I'd buy a name I don't recognize. Would I drink it if someone brought a bottle of it to a get together? Why not. Though I'd doubt I'd be drinking straight vodka. Please bring a decent nondiet soda or not from concentrate juice please.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:55 pm
Five Wives.

That would be a reason to drink.

Joe(Let me check the schedule of who's sleeping with me tonight.)Nation
Mame

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, I don't find it offensive, and I think we're too intent on not offending anyone these days. Who cares if Joe and Mary find it offensive? Don't go to a liquour store that carries it then. It's a biz zero in the big scheme of things. It seems people are just looking for something to rant about.

In BC they have renamed Chinaman Creek and Squaw Valley, to name just two. You can't say "Indian" or "tribe" anymore. They are 'first nations' or 'aboriginals' or whatever it is this month. And they're 'bands', not tribes.

When I'm really in a mood, I say "Indian Tribe" really loudly in crowds.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 02:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Laughing
They should keep the picture, but re-name it Big Love.

Irish(watch 'em go nuts)K
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 03:35 pm
Quote:
Idaho liquor regulators have banned Five Wives Vodka from their state-run liquor stores

I wonder if 'banned in Idaho' will become a great marketing slogan in its own right? 'Banned in Boston' worked pretty well for books and Broadway productions for a while.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
This stuff is so good the hangover is like being nagged by five wives.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 04:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Please bring a decent nondiet soda or not from concentrate juice please.

Here ya go. Only decent thing you can mix good vodka with:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Danijel23/schweppes.jpg
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
MIX good vodka??
Heavens forefend!

Chill the vodka thoroughly.
(okay, go ahead and freeze it.)
Pour it into really cold shot glasses.

Snap a shot back.
then another.
then wait.
AHHHH.

Joe(have some dark bread)Nation
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 06:47 pm
@Joe Nation,
Damn if you don't sound just like my late sainted father, Joe.

Lustig (haven't had a drink of vodka in nearly 17 years) Andrei
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 06:51 pm
Well, it certainly stirred up peoples' interest. Isn't that what marketing is all about? And no, it does not offend me. Personally, I think that "political correctness" has become totally absurd.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:22 pm
You can drink in Utah? Since when?
I thought Mormon's didn't drink, so why the stink?
The last time I was in the States, I bought my best friend a bottle of plonk called Mad Housewife, is that offensive too?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:24 pm
@Ceili,
Oh, you can get a drink in Utah quite legally. But all the beer is 2.3, I believe. Was the last time I visited Salt Lake City anyhow.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
3.2%, I believe...

(we never stopped in utah for beer.)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I've been giving that city a miss since back in the day when it was a dry state and I spent a very boring couple of hours stuck in the airport. I knew they changed for the Olympics, but I thought it was a temporary thing.
I find most American beers weak.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:40 pm
I found it at my local packie.
It was between Four Whores and Six Chicks.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:42 pm
@George,
Whatever happened to Four Roses, I wonder. That was a big name in rotgut rye when I was much, much, much younger.
George

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh, yeah. How 'bout Carstairs?
farmerman

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@Joe Nation,
The words "Good" and "Vodka" should not be used in prximity to each n other.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:17 pm
@George,
Uh-huh. Three feathers. Was that a brand name or just the logo on a jug with another name?